User Avatar Image

Ridley Scott's Prometheus (Alien Prequel) Thread

posted by Davies on - last edited - Viewed by 5K users

Four leaked photos from the set of Ridley Scott's upcoming film Prometheus (aka the prequel to Alien) have been leaked. Observe and worship the following slices of awesomeness...

cave-450x335.jpgA cave of some sort. You may note that the walls have an H.R. Giger (the creator of the Alien creature) vibe to them. Also, please note that the tractor is not a part of a set but rather an asset of the production team.

entrance.jpgMankind discovers an ancient doorway built by the mysterious Space Jockey race (whose skeletal remains were seen in the original Alien). Note the hieroglyphics surrounding the archway.

prometheus_set3.jpgThis is the secondary arch, just beyond the entrance shown in the pervious photo. Note the scale of the set against the chair towards the lower portion of the photo, this set is fucking epic!

prometheus_set_2.jpgWe're now through the second archway and standing in the main chamber. All three of the above photos are displaying one massive, glorious set. You may notice that we're certainly not in Kansas anymore, but inside the genius mind of H.R. Giger. The franchise hasn't looked this close to its source material since Ridley's original '79 masterpiece...

SpaceJockey.jpgThis is the Space Jockey set from the original Alien. It looks rather similar to the leaked photo above, yes?

228 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • See I don't need explicit violence per se, just want to know if the story is good.

• @DAISHI said: See I don't need explicit violence per se, just want to know if the story is good.

Oh absolutely. I wasn't for a moment suggesting that violence in of itself makes the film. Rather, I was saying that Ridley's true vision for the film would most likely come in as being R rated.

For example, the chest-bursting scene in 'Alien'; that's not gratuitous, it serves the story and is one of the most iconic and shocking moments in the history of cinema. It also wouldn't be allowed in a PG-13.

Therefore, sometimes an R rating is necessary in order to realise the full potential of a story on screen.

• If it turns out this way then i'll wait for the R rated material. Maybe they'll offer two versions, the $ version at the afternoon and the true film in the evening.

Really, this sucks.

When we were kids and there came out amazing films we wanted to see but weren't allowed to because we were to young, we were creative. We sneaked in older looking clothes, wearing glasses, more hair in the face, speaking with lower voices, mixing up with older ones in a row and so on to get into those movies. You had to earn yourself being able to talk about the movie including all the nightmares afterwards. These days they bend everything so that they can milk the masses. Thinking of video games this sounds quite familiar.

• I'm assuming this is taking place on LV-426.

• Does there exist any information where LV-426 should be located in space?

Gotcha, at least the star in the constellation.

Hmm, Zeta 2 Reticuli in the constellation Reticulum, δ=-62° 32′, α=03h 18m, about 39.5ly away from earth, older than our sun, comparable in some aspects, ... chances for enabling life like conditions on a planet with several moons in a double star system aren't great. Science and fiction, both have their place.

• @Icedhope said: I'm assuming this is taking place on LV-426.

It's unknown at this point whether 'Prometheus' takes place on LV-426 or not. It's also unknown as to whether the Space Jockey craft seen in the trailer is the same one as the derelict spaceship seen in 'Alien' (although it's undeniably the same class of ship).

Remember in 'Alien', when the crew are analysing LV-426 and they mention that it appears to be in a Primordial state? Well, some people have theorised that the planet that 'Prometheus' takes place on will be terraformed by the Space Jockeys at some point during the film, thus starting the process of building up an atmosphere and therefore converting the planet to a primordial condition (explaining the difference in appearance between the look of the LV-426 in 'Prometheus' and in 'Alien').

On the other hand, prior to Lindelof caming on board and reworking Spaights script into 'Prometheus', back when it was still a direct prequel to 'Alien'; Ridley Scott mentioned that the film took place in the Zeta 2 Reticuli system, which is the same system where LV-426 resides. It's possible that seeming as LV-426 was a moon, that 'Prometheus' takes place on the larger planet of which LV-426 was in orbit.

Either way, Lindelof has stated that 'Prometheus' won't end with the derelict seen in 'Alien' crashing and there being a bunch of eggs on board. Apparently, any sequel to 'Prometheus' would be its own thing and not the original 'Alien' film.

In short; we'll just have to wait and see.

• So in essence...this movie will be a prequel to ALIEN while being it's own universe. That is pretty awesome.

I'm curious about the space Jockey's and whether we will see them or not.

• @Icedhope said: So in essence...this movie will be a prequel to ALIEN while being it's own universe. That is pretty awesome.

Isn't it just!

@Icedhope said: I'm curious about the space Jockey's and whether we will see them or not.

1222-prometheus-derelict.jpgxlarge_75785713ca082be9d818f12f3a77f7e9.
    [B]A fully functioning alien spacecraft. It almost looks familiar, as if I know which species pilots that type of craft but I can't quite put my finger on it.

tumblr_lwnsasSzBB1qmz9r9o1_400.pngNow, what species of alien could that head on the medical table belong to?!

noomi_and_spacejockeys.jpg
    What are those statues behind Noomi Rapace? Hmm, they certainly don't look familiar.[/B]

When asked whether the "Gods" referred to in the official synopsis released by Fox for 'Prometheus' are in fact, the Space Jockeys; Ridley Scott had this to say...

“Yeah, so there you have that. I was always amazed that, I mean, I’ve only done two science-fictions ['Alien' and 'Blade Runner'], but I was always amazed that no one asked who the hell the Space Jockey was. He wasn’t even called the Space Jockey. During the film they started to call it the Space Jockey. I don’t know who started that one off.

I always thought it was amazing that no one ever asked who he was, and why was he there? What was all that about? I sat thinking about this for a while and thought, well, there’s a story! And the other three ['Alien' films] missed it! So, here it is.

Does that answer your question?
    :p
    :D

• As for the fiction part: Acheron (LV-426) is the second of three natural satellites that orbit Calpamos, which is the fifth planet from the star Zeta 2 Reticuli.

• I think I've found two more people to call friends!

Add Comment