User Avatar Image

The BioWare / EA / Origin thread

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

I couldn't readily find a thread specifically about Western RPGs or BioWare, so I made one, and expanded the title to inclue EA and Origin in case the topic changed to such.

211 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

I can raise two things on topic within this topic.

1) I have yet to play a Mass Effect game, despite owning the first two on PC. Should I start?

2) The video game retailers Game and Gamestation (the UK equivalent of EB), are having financial difficulties and due to stupid, stupid reasons that will forever elude me, have decided not to stock Mass Effect 3, nor any other March release from EA, as they cannot agree on credit terms. Story on Kotaku.

• @Darth Marsden said: I can raise two things about Bioware.

1) I have yet to play a Mass Effect game, despite owning the first two on PC. Should I start?

2) The video game retailers Game and Gamestation (the UK equivalent of EB), are having financial difficulties and due to stupid, stupid reasons that will forever elude me, have decided not to stock Mass Effect 3. Discuss.

GAMEstation.

I need to complete Mass Effect. :(

• @Darth Marsden said: I can raise two things about Bioware.

Yes. The first 2 games are worth the time you put into them

• I did have a specific question and didn't want the entire thread relegated solely to answering it.

I have played Mass Effect through more than once, and I find it to be a very good game. However, many of the Assignments (sidequests) include clearing a cave, base, or bunker, most of which look identical to each other. It also occurs to me that one of the major gripes against Dragon Age 2 is that many sidequest areas look identical.

This being said, why then is Mass Effect considered a good game while Dragon Age 2 is said to suck (having never played DA2, myself)?

• Bioware can fuck off. When they decided to make linear third person action games that appeal only to idiots(now with MORE inconsequential dialog trees!), they stopped being a company I really feel a desire to support. And now Drew Karpshyn isn't with them anymore, so there's really no reason to think of Bioware fondly at all, unless you're into a very juvenile "Whelp, the world is going to BLOW UP, I guess it's time to BE AN ACTION HERO" sort of thing.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: This being said, why then is Mass Effect considered a good game while Dragon Age 2 is said to suck (having never played DA2, myself)?

Because Mass Effect is Sci-Fi and Dragon Age is fantasy. Gamers are fickle things.

Well, that's not entirely true. Mass Effect is less of a full-on RPG. It's got over-the-shoulder shooting and taking cover and stuff, so repetition isn't such an issue because it's still involving that fun combat aspect.

Dragon Age is much more of an old-school style RPG, and the combat is much more melee focused, not to mention stat based. As a result it gets much more repetitive, which is why it's come in for so much stick.

Also:
    logo.png

Gee, can't see any capitol letters there. Hmm.

• @Darth Marsden said: Dragon Age is much more of an old-school style RPG, and the combat is much more melee focused, not to mention stat based. As a result it gets much more repetitive, which is why it's come in for so much stick.

That's all? RPG's usually get repetitive to a point anyway as a result of having to grind levels. Is that really mainly what people are complaining about?

• @Darth Marsden said:
    logo.png

Gee, can't see any capitol letters there. Hmm.

I was pointing out that GAME and gamestation are owned by the same people.

(hence why I fused the two together! XD)

EDIT: (Maybe you already know that, and I'm being played a fool again. Not too suprising these days really.. :/)

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: That's all? RPG's usually get repetitive to a point anyway as a result of having to grind levels. Is that really mainly what people are complaining about?

Well, that's the impression I get. I haven't actually played a Bioware RPG since KotOR, but from what I can tell that's one of the main factors. It also doesn't help that in Dragon Age 2, a lot of the sidequest areas are practically identical, which doesn't help in addition to all the combat that the game heaps upon you.

• @Darth Marsden said: Well, that's the impression I get. I haven't actually played a Bioware RPG since KotOR, but from what I can tell that's one of the main factors. It also doesn't help that in Dragon Age 2, a lot of the sidequest areas are practically identical, which doesn't help in addition to all the combat that the game heaps upon you.

There is one city and you are having the quest in a number of caves that is a lot smaller than the number of the quests --> playing in the same cave over and over again. At least that's what I heard. I wouldn't touch DA2.

Add Comment