User Avatar Image

The BioWare / EA / Origin thread

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

I couldn't readily find a thread specifically about Western RPGs or BioWare, so I made one, and expanded the title to inclue EA and Origin in case the topic changed to such.

211 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Personally I don't have a huge problem with DLCs as a concept. Sadly, they are rarely executed well, and are usually huge ripoffs. They are usually pretty overpriced for how much content they contain, and frankly are usually of pretty low quality. Probably the only times I've ever been really happy with DLCs were with Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2, and that Zombie Island one for Borderlands.

I *do* have a problem with day one DLC and CE exclusive DLC and all that garbage though. The explanations for why they aren't included with the main game frankly smell of BS to me (just start development on them earlier), and it just seems like a way to increase the price of the game without actually having to list it higher.

• My problem with DLC? I'm interested in getting into the Mass Effect series. ME2 is $20 ($5 if I get it during a Steam sale), to get all the additional missions via DLC is $40, they only add a fraction of the playtime of the full game and the DLC never goes on sale. I won't be getting ME2 unless they issue a version bundled with all the DLC for a reasonable price (and I can play it without Origin).

Also, that $40 worth of ME2 DLC is about 11 hours of gameplay, max. Compare that to one of Bioware's previous add-ons, Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast. That expansion pack cost $30, made numerous refinements to the game, and added 20 - 30 hours of gameplay.

• TotalBiscuit got an e-mail from one company that did Day One DLC (can't remember who, sadly) who said that it takes a while from a game going gold to it being released, and during that time the art team basically has nothing to do, so they sometimes create new skins and stuff that can come out as D1C (Day 1 Content).

It's not an excuse for missions and stuff, which is frankly inexcusable, but that sort of thing I don't have a problem with (as long as its reasonably priced).

When it comes to DLC, there's very few instances of it being done properly. The Fallout 3/New Vegas style is one example of DLC done right. I don't know about Call of Duty Elite, since a lot of that's not come out yet, but I have my doubts as to whether it'll be worth it or not.

But that's not really Bioware / EA / Origin related, so I'll leave it at that.

[Quote=figmentPez]My problem with DLC? I'm interested in getting into the Mass Effect series. ME2 is $20 ($5 if I get it during a Steam sale), to get all the additional missions via DLC is $40, they only add a fraction of the playtime of the full game and the DLC never goes on sale. I won't be getting ME2 unless they issue a version bundled with all the DLC for a reasonable price (and I can play it without Origin).[/Quote]They released a 'complete' version of Dragon Age (Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Collection), which did exactly what you describe. It was awesome (except for the PAL PS3 version, which didn't have Return to Ostagar, but they gave you a DLC code for it, so minor issue). Fallout 3 GOTY and New Vegas Complete did that as well, which is also cool. I wish more companies did that.

...I suspect Saints Row: The Third will practically need one with all the DLC they're doing. Ugh.

• I bought the ME3 Collector's Edition.

:D

• @Darth Marsden
    I don't share your opinion. I think the story of DA2 was interesting and so was the DLC released so far. Ultimately they could offer more depth but compared to most other stuff they dare to sell you these days, they were very good.

I also don't see a valid point to complain about things which improved, so in your position i would be more happy that the DLC is enjoyable.

You may not have enjoyed Dragon Age 2. Fair enough. A lot of others, however, did.

I would aks myself why i dislike the game. Is it primary because i'm upset because it's different to what i expected or is it really this bad. I can understand why some people who were primary more after the more boring parts of RPG experiences initially thought this way but if you give the game a chance then i think there are many aspects speaking for it as well.

• Even if we decide to pretend that Dragon Age 2 is a good game by some awkward, ill-defined universal metric, watered-down Mass Effect with a fantasy skin makes for a terrible Dragon Age game. In much the same way an excellent first-person shooter with a Monkey Island skin would be a horrible Monkey Island game deserving of ire. I can hear the FPS fans now, "I can understand why some people who were primarily more after the more boring parts of Adventure experiences, like slow pacing and puzzles, initially thought this way, but if you give the game a chance then I think there are many aspects that speak for it as well."

• You can shorten this up, DA2 isn't a good, it's a very good game, for a RPG minded person that expects a little bit more than just the same dusty things happening over and over again. Alone Hawke's cynical dialogues, instead of the typical fantasy blabla they otherwise come up with, were worth the money. Great game, i strongly recommend it, also to you!

• @The Gentleman said: I bought the ME3 Collector's Edition.

:D

I am going to un-friend you right now. Traitor! :D

• @taumel said: You can shorten this up, DA2 isn't a good, it's a very good game, for a RPG minded person that expects a little bit more than just the same dusty things happening over and over again. Alone Hawke's cynical dialogues instead of the typical fantasy blabla they otherwise come up with, were worth the money. Great game, i strongly recommend it, also to you!

We're going to have to disagree here. You enjoy it, fine. But others don't, and you need to accept that.

You completely failed to put yourself in the shoes of others, as I asked you to. You just keep ramming home that this game is good. Well, I don't think it is. I think it's a massive letdown. A lot of other people think it's a massive letdown. And you need to accept that.

We think what we think, and we're not going to change our positions based on the arguments you're giving us. A good game for an RPG minded person? I AM an RPG-minded person, and I thought the game was repetitive and boring. You can't sell a game on story alone, because it's a GAME. Something you PLAY. Hence the word GAMEPLAY.

And the gameplay in Dragon Age 2 was a massive step down from Dragon Age 1, it took place in copy-pasted locations and the fights happened every other minute. It was tedious, mind-numbing and boring. And it may have had a fantastic story with brilliant dialogue, but if I don't want to slog through god-knows how many fights to get to it, then it's all for nought, isn't it?

I'm glad you enjoyed the game. It's good to know at least one person did. But please stop trying to tell us it's a good game, because most of us don't think the same way you do.

• I have no problems with that others don't like it but as i wrote, i also know many who did enjoy it as well. Really, alone the writing is so much better than in DA and that's not the only aspect.

I'm sorry but i don't want to wear the shoes from other people. I understand what you're trying to tell me but it doesn't make sense from my point of view. If you ditch it for specific reasons than that's fine but it's rather pointless doing so just because it's different without giving the game a real chance and i also know a number of more traditional people who liked it after they gave the game a more open minded second chance.

It would be nice if they could produce much more DLC though and i expect at least a third one in the not so distant future, wonderfully set up and integrated with the dwarf still reporting.

Add Comment