User Avatar Image

KQ speed runs/ lowest score

posted by Achoo on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

Greetings all. First post here. I grew up with the old sierra games and every once and a while my brother and I like to break them out and play. We especially like to speed run KQ3 or PQ2 and go for low scores.

One thing that I did first was to beat KQ3 without turning the wizard into a cat. Not only does this add an element of excitement to the game because instead of aiming to defeat your foe you are literally just running from him the whole time. It also allows for faster completion and lower scores than normal.

I guess my question is, does anyone else speed run these games, go for low scores, or try to beat them in ways unintended without going into debug mode?

If so, what cool tricks have you accomplished? Or are there any boards where people record such feats?

Thanks

28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Never knew you could beat game without turning Mannanan into a cat. That sounds like a challenge indeed. It does sorta mess with the KQ story though...

• @MusicallyInspired said: The XP Collector's disc itself uses DOSBox for the first 6 games.

What version of DOSBox? I recall some people complaining that the Steam-bundled version of DOSBox didn't play well with certain KQ titles.

In any case Achoo, I would always recommend using the latest version of DOSBox rather than an older one that happened to be bundled with the game.

• It wasn't the latest version of DOSBox that's for sure, even for the time (whatever the latest version then was) and to top it off they used a DOSBox config file from an even EARLIER version, IIRC. It was certainly a mess. Luckily Collector's patches at http://sierrahelp.com/ update everything nicely.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

The vivendi collection used dosbox 0.72. Collector's patches upgrade it to 0.74, and converts KQ7 to v2.0 dos version.

• Here is a screenshot of the cookie on the boat to show this is possible.

Also one at the end at time 43 min.

I froze Medusa and picked up the snake skin. That is why my score is slightly higher (135).

• I am almost certain you can finish with less than 100 points. I will go back and try it out.

• Thanks for providing the screen shots Chucklas, I'm glad someone tried this. If you didn't kill Medusa (5), pick up the mirror (1), pick up the snakeskin (1) you would have scored 128 points. If you look at the points list you can identify which things you absolutely must do to complete the game. 118 is the lowest solution i could come up with, would be very curious to see someone score lower.

• Never knew you could beat game without turning Mannanan into a cat. That sounds like a challenge indeed. It does sorta mess with the KQ story though..

Now I can just see some fan coming out with a what-if fan game/story sequel in which Alex escaped Manannan without defeating him.... Alternate take on KQ5 where the brothers motives are very different....

• @Achoo said: Thanks for providing the screen shots Chucklas, I'm glad someone tried this. If you didn't kill Medusa (5), pick up the mirror (1), pick up the snakeskin (1) you would have scored 128 points. If you look at the points list you can identify which things you absolutely must do to complete the game. 118 is the lowest solution i could come up with, would be very curious to see someone score lower.

I just was able to get the 118. My theory on the lower score was to let the bandits take everything you don't need (wand, cup, knife, spoon, bowl, amber stone, brass key, cookie...etc.) I know that your score drops when they take certain items. When I let them take my stuff, I didn't lose any points. It appears that the only thing you lose points when they take is the map.

• @BagginsKQ said: Now I can just see some fan coming out with a what-if fan game/story sequel in which Alex escaped Manannan without defeating him.... Alternate take on KQ5 where the brothers motives are very different....

Haha you're right! There's a whole reality in which Manannan is uncaterized!

Add Comment