User Avatar Image

Mass Effect Thread

posted by WARP10CK on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

WARNING SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT 3

Just finished Mass Effect 3 and was having a great time until the last 5 minutes of the game.

The ending you get is probably the most depressing ending and since this is mass effect that´s probably the bad ending right ?

Nope all the endings are almost identical no matter what you do and the outrage on biowares forums are huge.

I would not mind a sad ending but there is no explanation to what happened this is the gaming equivalent to the sopranos ending.

Nothing is really resolved and there is not even an epilogue.

Oh well just look at biowares forums then you know

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/355/index

359 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @dahoughtonuk said: You only have the reapers word for that. Sorry can;t trust him. But civilisation utterly destroyed never to rise again can be trusted due to the last ending, assuming it's not just a tall tale.

Repears' word? The child isn't an expression of the Reapers, they're an expression of those who created the Reapers. The Reapers were their solution to a galaxy-wide robot apocalypse.

One option destroys all the Reapers and most advanced technology. The scene with the child shows that "The Shepard"(clever, the one who shows the galaxy the way forward) saved sentient life from the cycle by:

1. Controlling the Reapers. This sends the Reapers away, but according to the child, breaking the cycle in this way leads to an inevitable war between synthetics and organic life.

Shepard disagrees.

2. Destroying the Reapers, and all senthetic life with it. This option removes the Reapers from the equation entirely, kills off the Geth, destroys a lot of technology. But in the end, it saves many lives, and gives the universe a chance to rebuild.

3. Combining synthetic and organic life. The idea is that, by removing the created/creator, synthetic/organic distinction, all life can continue in a new step of evolution and coexist peacefully because they are all the same. This option is definitely the worst thought-out(and has some terrible implications, especially when we consider the Human/Robot relationship has always been used in science fiction as an allegory for race-based slavery), and seems to stem from a desire to create a "good" ending that the child can agree causes peace without at the same time killing the Geth and setting technology back. Still, the core theme in the ending is a good one: By realizing we are all the same, we can peacefully coexist. They just go the sci-fi route of including a sciencey piece of technology at the center of the lesson, which in this case comes off weak. Honestly, I feel like the "Control the Reapers" option is close enough to this without the scary implications, and they really should have given the qualities of this ending to that one in a more explicit way.

All the endings set civilizations back a lot of years, yes. But the Reapers winning does that anyway, that's sort of what the Reapers DO. There are no Mass Relays and as such there won't be a gigantic, pre-built technological jumpstarter floating in every system, but now the organic life as is has a chance to build their own future in all of the endings, in a way that they definitely did not before. Nothing is predetermined for them, because the cycle is broken.

@dahoughtonuk said: The hero attempts to save the universe, the attempt fails, a god-like creature appears that hasn't said a word before and essentially solves the situation for the hero. That's Deus Ex Machina without a doubt. ;)

It was of course clear from the beginning of ME3 that they were building a machine with an unknown purpose. They weren't building the god from the machine though. That one's always been there and has been orchestrating all these cycles of almost-genocide as his "solution" to preventing complete genocide (?!?).

The child is a VI. That's it. It could have just as easily been a computer monitor with three buttons on it. The hero didn't fail, the hero built the Crucible. The Crucible hadn't activated because you need to make the choice of what Crucible Beam to fire.

Everything follows what you would expect from the plot of the game up to that point. Shepard fights, Shepard builds machine, Shepard pushes one of two/three buttons on said machine. The child is just a VI that is used to explain the buttons.

• Did you miss the fact he's supposed to control the reapers? Ergo -cannot trust.

What's the best way of preventing the resistance when the civilisations manage to come together? Destroy how they managed it. The cycle may not be broken in any of the endings.

Decisions do not matter is the important part, and the hidden ending explains it a a tale told around a fire. This is bad enough but all the endings are the same with a paltte swap. I'm glad I didn't buy the game, depsiute having the others.

ME1 what is the difference between a trap and a fortress?
    ME2 Should we learn from others despite the possible cost?
    ME3 Technology is bad.

• @dahoughtonuk said: Did you miss the fact he's supposed to control the reapers? Ergo -cannot trust.

You're going to have to explain how this sentence makes anything remotely similar to sense and logic.

What's the best way of preventing the resistance when the civilisations manage to come together? Destroy how they managed it. The cycle may not be broken in any of the endings.

Er, what?

Destruction: There are no Reapers, thus no Reaper Cycle.

Control: Reapers leave, don't kill everyone. If they wanted to kill everyone, and the Crucible wasn't keeping them from killing everyone, then Joker/EDI/Squadmates wouldn't be in the ending cutscene, nor would we be able to see the ending bit with the old man and the child.

Synthesis: Joker/EDI, Old Man/Child, thus Reapers again don't kill everyone.

Decisions do not matter is the important part, and the hidden ending explains it a a tale told around a fire. This is bad enough but all the endings are the same with a paltte swap. I'm glad I didn't buy the game, depsiute having the others.

The "tale around a fire" bit isn't a "hidden ending", it shows up after the credits regardless. It shows that humanity survives and continues to dream about a future in the stars thanks to Shepard's actions. It says that details have "been lost" over generations, which I'm guessing is their way of fudging the need to clean the slate for future Mass Effect media. Shepard having become a legendary figure in the distant future doesn't mean he wasn't REAL, it's simply a matter of him becoming larger than life, like a leader of an ancient civilization.

The core ending decision is a good one, the expression in the form of palette swaps is a matter of poor execution of a good ending.

• Don't know how damning this really is, but it certainly does not inspire confidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRRpGlmtws8

• I really want to know if there's an option where, if you do the minimum amount of effort to reach an ending, the Reapers win. For me, this would at least give me the satisfaction of doing something by getting the endings described.

Though I am in favor of a patch or something that contains a short Fallout-style epilogue where you find out what happens to all the characters and civilizations.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Rather Dashing said: The child is a VI. That's it.

@Rather Dashing said: The Catalyst is the master AI that controls the Reapers [...] When encountered by Commander Shepard, the Catalyst represented itself using a hologram, taking the form of a young boy

@Rather Dashing said: It could have just as easily been a computer monitor with three buttons on it.

@Rather Dashing said: The Catalyst serves as the architect and overseer of the Reapers and their cycle of destruction. [...] the Catalyst was tasked with solving a dire problem: the inevitable creation of synthetic intelligence by advanced organic civilizations, and the equally inevitable conflict that results.

The kid is, for the purposes of this story, as I have previously stated, a God. Without this God and his enormous powers inside, the Crucible machine is obviously worth shit.

@Rather Dashing said: The Crucible hadn't activated because you need to make the choice of what Crucible Beam to fire. [...]Shepard fights, Shepard builds machine, Shepard pushes one of two/three buttons on said machine.

@Rather Dashing said: if Shepard's "Effective Military Strength" score is low enough that the player is on track to the worst ending, the Catalyst will not offer a choice; the Catalyst will automatically assume that Shepard either wants to destroy the Reapers (if Shepard destroyed the Collector Base during the suicide mission) or wants to control the Reapers (if Shepard preserved the Collector Base during the suicide mission). No "merge" option is provided.

It is a god-like machine that at will giveth and taketh away the options the Crucible has to offer. It renders to and/or pressures on Shepard a decision that it SHOULD make itself, given that the problem-solving is what it was created to do. Case closed. ;)

• So wait, they are machines that wipe out organic life to avoid having organic life wiped out by machines? Yes... it all makes sense now :confused:

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@KuroShiro said: So wait, they are machines that wipe out organic life to avoid having organic life wiped out by machines? Yes... it all makes sense now :confused:

Yes, that's it. To avoid the conflict between man and machine, billions of billions of living creatures are wiped out at regular intervals. All for the prosperity of... ah, I don't know. So much sense. ;)

The Reapers have once told Shepard that he/she would not understand their harvest. Well, it seems like he/she could eventually understand after only a simple two-minute explanation. Why Shep didn't answer appropriately with "That's bullshit", I will never understand.

• @ Mass Effect Wiki said: The Catalyst serves as the architect and overseer of the Reapers and their cycle of destruction. [...] the Catalyst was tasked with solving a dire problem: the inevitable creation of synthetic intelligence by advanced organic civilizations, and the equally inevitable conflict that results.

Oh, I see. Mass Effect 3 is trying to be Battlestar Galactica. Okay.

• @Alcoremortis said: Oh, I see. Mass Effect 3 is trying to be Battlestar Galactica. Okay.

To be fair, in a lot of ways it is actually more like Gateway.

Add Comment