User Avatar Image

Writer's blood

posted by GaryCXJk on - last edited - Viewed by 191 users

First of all, there might already be a thread about it, but meh, at least not in the past ten pages, so yeah, totally justified.

Anyway, are there any Telltalers here with writing skills? Wanna share tips or tricks for fellow soon-to-be-authors? Or do you just want to share your stories? What are your writing projects and plans currently? Here's the place to be, and the place to go.

Anyway, I first have a good question for you guys. As an author, either soon-to-be or an already established one, what are the places to be when it comes to publishing stories and other writings, both free and commercial? Do you have some personal favorites, and why?

Anyway, I'm sure you guys are wondering, what's up with him using anyway at the start of nearly every sentence? Aside from that, a lot of you will also be asking, what does Gary do when it comes to writing?

At the moment, I'm working on a Dutch novel, it's mainly a fantasy novel, with some sci-fi fantasy elements mixed in. To be honest, it's fairly hard to do a true sci-fi fantasy blend, because there's a thin line between what is science fiction and what is fantasy, at least that's how I see it. The way I see it, sci-fi stories are generally more about explaining things, rather than it just being there, unlike fantasy, where everything can happen without any real explanation. In that opinion, my novel is a bit more sci-fi than fantasy, as it tries to explain elements in a way that makes it sound a little bit science-y.

The novel is set on a world called Ertar, and tells about a woman called Nikene who travels the world because she just needs to. The story however basically tells the life of various characters. Nikene might have been a hero once, but she knows that fame doesn't last, and that sooner or later she won't even be needed. And what she did surely didn't shape the world as it was now.

Yeah, that's basically what the novel is all about. Right now I'm at page 61 (about 8000 words, so quite some pages less). I'm hoping to one day release the novel, or rather, the trilogy, as I intend it to be a trilogy of some sorts.

Also, I've had this concept since 2003, so yeah, quite some time.

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah, I've had that happen as well. I tend to generally have a fairly "normal" (normal is purely relative here, none of my characters are really normal) narrator who knows very little about the current situation so the reader can relate to them and learn what is going on through their eyes. I do the internal monologues because that's just what happened when I started writing, really. Sometimes I have multiple narrators, even though they may not all be main characters, simply because I want to switch points of view to increase the tension or mystery of the moment.

The funny bit is that after all of this... I really hate writing in first person. This is what happens when you read too many horrible self-insert fanfics. First person is dead to me and so instead I do omniscient third person monologues. Or something like that.

Here's this thing I typed up for Ringmaster that kinda illustrates what I try to do. Sometimes it works... sometimes it really sucks for action scenes. Luckily I tend to be rather skimpy on the action and have the narrator not really know what the hell is going on.

• Glad to see I'm not the only one using google docs to write a novel!

Writing is something that I just sort of fell into really. It started last year when I was bored on one of the many long bus journey's back from college, and I decided I'd make a Doctor Who (audio) tribute. So I wrote a few episodes of that, and planned out a couple of extra serials. But then life got too busy, and I just stopped, around the time SWP announced his tribute.

Then, a month or so later, I got a smartphone, and I decided to convert the planned plots into a trilogy of novels/novellas, so started doing that on google docs. I have to admit, I haven't gotten far (20 A4 pages I think, 9,700 words at the last count), and what I have written varies in quality quite a bit, so will probably need re-writing at some point. I may even add in another character to act as an extra layer of mystery. (I actually got that idea from the OP). But hey, it's all part of the experience! No writer is perfect.

Anyway, the plot involves a weather experiment that goes wrong. Everyone inside the building ends up dead, and various strange weather related occurrences are happening all over town (Super strong localised winds knocking over radio towers, Flash flood appearing out of no-where in busy intersections, that sort of thing), and the main character is trying to find the cause of it all, and how to fix it all out. The cause will actually be that the experiment accidentally created life from the elements.

I'm toying between two possible titles: "Weathermen" or "The Elementals". I'm thinking if I name it the first then I'll be able to use a similar naming system for the rest of the books (like the third book will involve a company manipulating the government into starting a war in order to boost arms trade, possibly titled "Businessmen"). Then again, the second title sounds so much more awesome.

Another idea I toyed with was re-writing someone else's book (hey, if Hollywood can do it, why can't I?). Possibly modernising or futurising a classic. Around the Galaxy in 80 years? I even though about novelising Civilisation (the game) at one point, with it revolving around a family line throughout the ages, dealing with threats similar to that of our history, but with fictional countries, and possibly scenarios such as "What if the Nazi's had won?" or "What if the cold war had actually exploded into full-blown conflict?"

Anyone noticed how everyone's posts in this thread are really long?

• I want to write a new book. It's a post apocalyptic novel in which zombies overwhelm the earth by 1000 to 1 against humans. They are simply everywhere. For a population of 300 million in the U.S. that's 3 million zombies and 3000 humans. However, there is a second, robotic threat that is at play. At the onset of the zombie war, humans developed adaptive robotics that could fight the war on the humans' behalf. Those robots though have adapted so much they have become their own society, and war against not only the zombies, to whom they are obviously immune, but against the humans that created them. The only hope that humans have is the same genetic treatment that caused the outbreak in the first place. An attempt to develop super soldiers that went badly awry, the treatment has been refined enough to allow humans to create soldier of at least super strength and speed. As they tap these powers more deeply, they run the ever greater risk of finally destroying their minds and devolving into the same zombie beasts that have made a massacre of the country. So humanity's only hope may also be its doom.

• @Friar said: Glad to see I'm not the only one using google docs to write a novel!

I love Google docs. I don't even know why, but it's so much easier to type on that word processor than any other I've tried. I think it's because it doesn't have all that stupid crap that Word constantly tries to get you to use... like WordArt. WordArt lost it's appeal after fourth grade, really. Google docs just has what you need to write something and format it correctly, which is all I really need.

And it's super easy to share stuff with people, which is also a plus. I thrive on people reading my half finished attempts at something.

• @Alcoremortis said: I love Google docs. I don't even know why, but it's so much easier to type on that word processor than any other I've tried. I think it's because it doesn't have all that stupid crap that Word constantly tries to get you to use... like WordArt. WordArt lost it's appeal after fourth grade, really. Google docs just has what you need to write something and format it correctly, which is all I really need.

And it's super easy to share stuff with people, which is also a plus. I thrive on people reading my half finished attempts at something.

The only downside for me is that it doesn't work properly with the college computers. The cursor doesn't move across the page properly, so by the time you reach the end, the flash-y thing that tells you the letter you just typed is just before the letter you just typed, which can get annoying when trying to edit something. ¬_¬

But then I can access my stuff on any mobile device. Also, Docs is awesome when you have to make a group presentation. And if you rewrite an entire section and then decide you liked it before, as you can go through revision history to see what it was like before.

• @Friar said: The only downside for me is that it doesn't work properly with the college computers. The cursor doesn't move across the page properly, so by the time you reach the end, the flash-y thing that tells you the letter you just typed is just before the letter you just typed, which can get annoying when trying to edit something. ¬_¬

But then I can access my stuff on any mobile device. Also, Docs is awesome when you have to make a group presentation. And if you rewrite an entire section and then decide you liked it before, as you can go through revision history to see what it was like before.

And, the best part... you never have to worry about saving every few minutes in case something horrible happens, because it does it for you!

• I really want to write, and have tried many times.
    Like at the last NANOWRIMO or just purely on my own.
    But every time I give up on it because I start to criticise my own work.

I have recently started again, this time I am writing a fanfic, and so far the first chapter is done. It's not that long though, only about 1500 words.

But I think it's one of my main problems, I take on more than what I can actually do and then get disappointed in my self because I can't do it.

• I wouldn't mind taking a crack at writing.

But then again, like my other hobbies, its likely to be picked up and put down a lot.

(Its why I never get anything done. I jump between playing videogames, coming up with game ideas, playing the guitar, listening to music, reading video game news feeds, twiddling around with hardware/software, and doodling stuff all the time)

• I do this as well, but I think there's a certain advantage. Like, whenever I take a break, I'm able to look back critically over my writing and then make edits because I'm more removed from the original process so I can change things that, a few months prior, would have seemed impossible.

Like how I was recently reading something that I wrote a year ago and realized that a lot of my problems could be solved if I simply had a different character narrate the beginning. Since when I was writing that part, this particular character had no defining features except to just... be there, this was not really an option. But as the story progressed, further down the road, this character started to become quite interesting and a viable candidate for being a narrator.

• @Alcoremortis said: I do this as well, but I think there's a certain advantage. Like, whenever I take a break, I'm able to look back critically over my writing and then make edits because I'm more removed from the original process so I can change things that, a few months prior, would have seemed impossible.

This is a good practice. Any serious writer will tell you that even before you submit a draft, you should wait at least 2 weeks to a month to detach yourself a bit from the work, and then go back and do a full edit.

Add Comment