User Avatar Image

The BioWare / EA / Origin thread

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

I couldn't readily find a thread specifically about Western RPGs or BioWare, so I made one, and expanded the title to inclue EA and Origin in case the topic changed to such.

211 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @der_ketzer said:
    EA definitely wins in terms of support. I got an answer to my email in about one hour (with a 15% off coupon for Origin that made me buy Pinnacle Station). And after that I tried the livechat that solved my problem in about 20 minutes. Both happened on a sunday. They work on a sunday and still answer that quickly.
    The download speed is the same as Steam.
    Origin takes several downers though:
    - It has only a few games and most of them I am not interested in since they are EA titles, which I haven't cared about in the past and I am certainly not starting now.
    - The other thing is I have 2 installation folders to configure. I installed Origin on my D-Drive and it still defaulted to installing installers & games in (2 different) folders on my C-drive.
    - Also I tried the ME3 demo and even though my Origin was set to English it installed a weird version for me. English audio with German subs (I have no idea how to change that but defaulting to German subs/dialogue chices is horrible). Audio was fine but the translation made me shake my head several times. So much has been lost and choosing dialoge this way was bad because Shepard said things I didn't intend to say. But that has been a problem since ME1 even in a full EN version.

The problem with it is it's 50% exactly like Steam, and I commend them for getting that far, but they lack any features making it anything as enjoyable as Steam. I'd compare it to PSN at the start being buggy, lacking in most communication features, and none of your friends being on it.

Having better support isn't the kind of thing to get you using the service, as it does mean they're putting money into people who are trying to make broken features work better, rather then into testing themselves.

• I've installed The Sims 3 through Origin once without a problem, but I don't really like the way they are forcing you to use it in order to use certain other tools. I'm talking about the neighborhood editor. I mean, it already is a piece of whatsit, making it overly complicated and crap.

I'd rather stick to Steam for my games anyway, seeing as its layout actually is kind of clear. I also have all the games in one place. The only other service I use is Desura, but that one I mostly only use for indie games (that are only available on Desura anyway).

• If anyone cares, Origin have got a sale on, UK and US(Not sure about other regions).

Noticable discounts include Battlefield 3 for £19.99, FIFA 12 for £14.99 and Kingdoms of Amalur for £17.50.

Edit: Arkham City is £12.99

• See, those are good prices, but it's Origin. Ugh.

• @Darth Marsden said: See, those are good prices, but it's Origin. Ugh.

Haha! I was exactly the same.
    That Kingdom of Alamur is tempting... oooooohhh....

(But no! Must resist EA! Origin is only for games I rarely play like Sims 3)

• @RetroVortex said: Haha! I was exactly the same.
    That Kingdom of Alamur is tempting... oooooohhh....

Relly? I tried the demo and it got really boring even before the time limit was reached. I just played it until the end to unlock the ME3 DLC. The tutorial was okayish but exploring the world after that just felt like SP WoW.
    And I hated so much about this demo. Argh! Why can't I rebiund the keys. I hate WSAD-Controls.

• @der_ketzer said: Relly? I tried the demo and it got really boring even before the time limit was reached. I just played it until the end to unlock the ME3 DLC. The tutorial was okayish but exploring the world after that just felt like SP WoW.
    And I hated so much about this demo. Argh! Why can't I rebiund the keys. I hate WSAD-Controls.

Really? Eh. I'll just stick to Skyrim.
    (I just seem to waste my dough on crap these days...)

• @RetroVortex said: Really? Eh. I'll just stick to Skyrim.
    (I just seem to waste my dough on crap these days...)

at least try the demo on Steam.

• 46hKU.png

-.-

stupid people. At least TTG isn't like this.

• @Chyron8472 said: 46hKU.png

-.-

stupid people. At least TTG isn't like this.

I'm fairly sure that's part of Telltale's TOS, too. It should be, if it's not, as being rude to anyone should be forbidden.

Add Comment