User Avatar Image

The BioWare / EA / Origin thread

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

I couldn't readily find a thread specifically about Western RPGs or BioWare, so I made one, and expanded the title to inclue EA and Origin in case the topic changed to such.

211 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Ribs said: I'm fairly sure that's part of Telltale's TOS, too. It should be, if it's not, as being rude to anyone should be forbidden.

ah, but BioWare's forum accounts are tied into DLC and game DRM connected to that account. So, getting banned from their forums has more effect than not being able to read or post on it.

Also, many a long-time forumite here has complained about declining quality of TTG's games, including placing blame on certain staff members for it at times. I'd say we get away with rather a lot around here.

• Mostly because we don't just say Telltale is crap. We explain why we don't like it, and how we hope that they'll get better in the future. In short: It's OK to Not Like Things.

• @Darth Marsden said: It's OK to Not Like Things

Not in the EA / Bioware forums. That's why the Steam forum is full of ME3 complaints in the ME section. People are afraid to voice their true opinion over there.

• Oh, the Bioware forum is still full of complaints. Though perhaps not as colourful....

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: ah, but BioWare's forum accounts are tied into DLC and game DRM connected to that account. So, getting banned from their forums has more effect than not being able to read or post on it.

Right. Mods and admins on this forum can ban, but that won't take away the banned's games. With EA - and their EULA stating that your purchase is not actually a purchase, but that you only rent their games for a time that EA reserves the right to define - things are very different.

Yes, personal attacks on anyone, be it admin, mod or community member, will get you some serious banning time in here. I find it very easy to call a personal insult when I see one; terms like "abuse" (and "flaming"/"hate speech" come to think of it) however, I find very hard to put into a clear-cut definition. If a company takes a whole lot of criticism in their own forums, it's probably very natural to widen the definition and avenge even the lighter forms. That's probably where EA is at right now, hence the need to post that "reminder".

@Chyron8472 said: Also, many a long-time forumite here has complained about declining quality of TTG's games, including placing blame on certain staff members for it at times. I'd say we get away with rather a lot around here.

And I'd definitely like to encourage criticism on these boards in the future. I would not feel well being a moderator on forums where criticism is forbidden. I hope that ANYTHING can be said about the games in these forums as long as no one is insulted. It's just that certain forms of criticism are more constructive than others.

• @Darth Marsden said: Mostly because we don't just say Telltale is crap. We explain why we don't like it, and how we hope that they'll get better in the future. In short: It's OK to Not Like Things.

Uhhhh SOME people do this. A lot of people just rant.

• @Chyron8472 said: ah, but BioWare's forum accounts are tied into DLC and game DRM connected to that account. So, getting banned from their forums has more effect than not being able to read or post on it.

Also, many a long-time forumite here has complained about declining quality of TTG's games, including placing blame on certain staff members for it at times. I'd say we get away with rather a lot around here.

So? If they are rude and threatening, I say ban 'em.

• I just had a look on the Origin store page for Dragon Age.
    And there I saw this:

In Übereinstimmung mit dem deutschen Jugendschutzgesetz steht dieser Titel nur zwischen 23:00 Uhr und 06:00 Uhr zum Kauf zur Verfügung. In der Zeit von 06:00 Uhr bis 23:00 Uhr kannst du dieses Produkt deinem Warenkorb nicht hinzufügen.

Let me translate that as good as I can:

In Accordance to the German "Jugendschutzgesetz" (protection of minors law) this item can only be purchased between 11pm and 6 am. Between 6am and 11pm you cannot place this item in your cart.

WAT?

• @Ribs said: So? If they are rude and threatening, I say ban 'em.

"Abusive" does not necessarily equal "rude."

I'm rude at times. Should I be banned?

Heck, Rather Dashing can be downright belligerent and he's still around. By rights what you're saying is that he should not only be banned, but also have all of his downloadable TTG Store purchases revoked.

Add Comment