User Avatar Image

The BioWare / EA / Origin thread

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

I couldn't readily find a thread specifically about Western RPGs or BioWare, so I made one, and expanded the title to inclue EA and Origin in case the topic changed to such.

211 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Also, I'm quite an ass on occasion. Though I'm usually penitent.

• @Chyron8472 said: "Abusive" does not necessarily equal "rude."

I'm rude at times. Should I be banned?

Heck, Rather Dashing can be downright belligerent and he's still around. By rights what you're saying is that he should not only be banned, but also have all of his downloadable TTG Store purchases revoked.

Amendment: Rude towards an individual or organization on repeated occasions.

And I am not complaining about the portion of the downloads being removed, which I feel should only occur in extreme circumstances. I'm complaining about the fact you think the ability to personally attack people should be maintained without proper punishment. Rather Dashing doesn't personally attack people - he expresses dislike for a product, but hardly attacks. What I've seen of the reaction to ME3 so far, though, goes a bit beyond attacks, and is horrible.

• @Ribs said: Amendment: Rude towards an individual or organization on repeated occasions. [...]

I'm complaining about the fact you think the ability to personally attack people should be maintained without proper punishment.

read this again:

46hKU.png

As has been said by others, "abuse" is a subjective term; also, "zero tolerance" can mean after the first and only infraction, and "without notice" means having never previously been warned by a mod to stop complaining before being banned.

ie. A forum member at BioWare may complain about something of which they are greatly annoyed, and after the first post in which they do so, they can be banned and lose all access to games which they legally paid for.

And have you not read the various posts by RD in his rants about BTTF? I'm pretty sure several of them could be considered as hostility towards the TTG staff. Should he be banned? No. Why? Because TTG is sensible whereas BioWare is apparently not.

• Being hostile towards the staff =/= reporting a bug or problem or having a polite discussion. I don't think all the discussion should consist of is "THAT WAS #!)#ing AWFUL" "GOD I AM GOING TO GO TO BIOWARE AND MURDER THEM ALL MYSELF", which is undoubtedly how they'd grow. Unless you cite specific examples of them banning unfairly under this new jurisdiction, I see no reason to side with you.

• @Ribs said: Being hostile towards the staff =/= reporting a bug or problem or having a polite discussion.

The problem is YOU define it like that. If a staff member sees this differently you will be banned for nothing and no one will help you because they cannot.

• @der_ketzer said: The problem is YOU define it like that. If a staff member sees this differently you will be banned for nothing, without warning, and no one will help you because they cannot.

Fixed, and yes this is entirely my point.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

my sims 3 game on orgin wont work anymore

• I find it rather amusing how people on the Bioware forms get really attached to the characters in Bioware games to the point you'd think the characters are real people and if something is done what they believe is slightly out of character, the forum posters go completely apeshit.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Quoted from "Whatever":

@der_ketzer said: What if they make you your puppet though. Something like a screen that says: Go online now to play the final 5 story missins and experience the epic conclusion of ME3 or stop now and we delete your savegame.
    :D

In a sense, some parts of this were so near the truth that it's almost a prophecy.

First, it looks like EA really means it, although I could not believe it earlier, naive guy that I am. Registering ME3 DLC indeed means that the offline mode of Origin doesn't work anymore.. That's as close to consumer deception as it gets considering former EA statements. So I bought a DLC that I won't play and can't give back. The game's reluctance to load games in offline mode that used a DLC is as close to "we delete your savegame" as I can imagine. BRA-VO, EA, you got my money already without delivering. Isn't that what you always wanted?

That company owes me. That company owes me so fucking much.

Second, building up the galaxy to actually be READY for the final assault requires you to play multiplayer. Yes, it seems it's possible to reach the "best" ending without, but having your "readiness rating" consequently remain at 50% without the multiplayer, that leaves something to be desired. They don't even tell you why it remains there. It is EXPECTED that you find out by playing online. This is not a single player game, and heck, it should be.

Third, ME3 has effectively avoided the closure I was after (as discussed elsewhere). My decisions have built up to nothing; the fate of the universe is decided not in 100 hours of play, but in two really boring minutes; the last decision does not even have consequences that are really shown or discussed, but are rather only hinted at.

Fourth, where does EA/Bioware go from here? With the coming DLCs, there are only two ways to go on. (a) the new story elements take place before the final assault and therefore hardly change anything with the game - but might add to your readiness quite a bit and (b) the new story element take place after the final assault, giving you the change to explore that new world you've created a bit (provided your Shepard is not dead, which is normally the case). Yet the illusion that you have the chance to create three entirely DIFFERENT new worlds at ME3's end would be history.

Game designer Mike Gamble twitters:

Hardest. Day. Ever. Seriously, if you people knew all the stuff we are planning...you'd, we'll - hold onto your copy of me3 forever.

With the above mentioned meager options they still have, whatever they're planning can't turn out that great. And second, what's that shit with holding on to my ME3 copy forever? I have to anyway, because these guys took my right to sell my retail games from me!!

Add Comment