User Avatar Image

Mass Effect Thread

posted by WARP10CK on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

WARNING SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT 3

Just finished Mass Effect 3 and was having a great time until the last 5 minutes of the game.

The ending you get is probably the most depressing ending and since this is mass effect that´s probably the bad ending right ?

Nope all the endings are almost identical no matter what you do and the outrage on biowares forums are huge.

I would not mind a sad ending but there is no explanation to what happened this is the gaming equivalent to the sopranos ending.

Nothing is really resolved and there is not even an epilogue.

Oh well just look at biowares forums then you know

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/355/index

359 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rather Dashing said: Vigil in Mass Effect 1..

I really liked that scvene and tried to get every bit of knownledge out of the conversation I could. Too bad this all is largely ignored in ME2.
    What I really wanted to say though: Who in his or her right mind would coose to not safe Ashley?

• Multiplayer, I wouldn't have minded so much if it had just been introduced to try and force me to register for origin

The endings don't seem to make sense in how they link.

I'd have made synthesis if we were going to do that, linked to quarian/geth peace. (Makes a lot of sense)

Control if the geth are in the fleet? Kroqan cured of genophage?

Destruction is the one that should always be open.

Link the endings logically to what happened and their would be less of an outcry.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Rather Dashing said: Vigil describes his own actions and competences("I" began to shut down life support) , and identifies with his creators(This is why "we" sent "our" warning through the beacons).
    Vigil refers to the past, present, and future within his experience. "This is what happened to the Protheans, this is what I think the Reapers do, if you get to the Conduit you can stop the one you call Saren, etc").
    Vigil showed control over pieces of technology.
    Vigil advocated certain actions, as though he had an opinion on the matter.
    Vigil had his own independent thoughts and theories.

The child seems to be a better-maintained VI, an expression of the will of the Reapers' creators, much the same way Vigil was an expression of the Prothean's will. The child doesn't identify with the Reapers in the sense that you say.

Some good points, and I'd like to evaluate them in more detail later on (I'm at work now ;) ). What strikes me as a flaw in the Vigil comparison is his origin. Vigil - as a VI - is an echo of a Prothean that lived some thousands of years ago. Two significant differences to the Crucible: first, the Protheans were (almost) extinct by the time of Shep's talk with the VI; and second, the Protheans always were an organic life form.

The Child/Crucible is a a synthetic life form. All details in the conversation aside for now, there is no need for an "artificial", hence immortal life form to put this cycle into the hands of a downgraded, "virtual" intelligence.

• @Darth Marsden said: This article explains why I personally am not a fan of the ending.

When I play through RPGs, contrary to what people thing, I always seem to play the nice guy. I really need to try playing as an asshole once in a while, but there you go. When I finally do get round to playing the ME trilogy, I'll probably be the world's nicest saviour ever. The ending to ME3 won't let me do that. Sad face.

EDIT: Reading the comments, I gather that's not necessarily the way the Illusive Man shooting thing has to take place, which is kind of important. But the rest of the article does seem fairly accurate.

This description of the ending seems...ill-informed would be the really nice way to put it, which makes sense because it's an opinion piece written by Luke Plunkett. Also it's on Kotaku.

As you said, the Illusive Man scene? Bullshit. The Illusive Man scene mirrors the Saren scene in ME1, where you can convince Saren that he's indoctrinated if you have fully leveled up your Persuade or Intimidate skills. In ME3, your ability to persuade is based on your Reputation score. The requirement to convince him is high because he's under Reaper control, just like with Saren, but it's certainly entirely possible.

The rest of the article continues to be stupid. Tough decisions do show up, now and then, in the series. People PRAISED the Geth decision, which didn't fit in line with "Hey guys, let's all sing a campfire song/Hey guys, I'm going to rip out your intestines and shoot you in the fucking face" The decisions fall in line with the characters of Paragon/Renegade Shepard. It's obvious that Control fits with Paragon(doesn't sacrifice the Geth), Destruction fits with Renegade(We need these things DESTROYED, at ANY COST), and the "middle way" is the "good" ending. In all three, Shepard sacrifices his/her life for the good of the galaxy, and I have no idea what could be more of a nice guy action than that.

@Darth Marsden said: I really liked that scvene and tried to get every bit of knownledge out of the conversation I could. Too bad this all is largely ignored in ME2.
    What I really wanted to say though: Who in his or her right mind would coose to not safe Ashley?
    I saved Ashley, but pretty much only because I was walking the tightrope of romantic interest options in ME1 until the last second. Honestly I don't really like her. Her poetry is stuffy, her military obsession is obnoxious, her family garbage is boring and trite, and her down-home brand of racism is unsettling. Kaiden is actually a far more interesting character to me.

@Darth Marsden said: Some good points, and I'd like to evaluate them in more detail later on (I'm at work now ;) ).
    I look forward to it.

@Darth Marsden said: What strikes me as a flaw in the Vigil comparison is his origin. Vigil - as a VI - is an echo of a Prothean that lived some thousands of years ago. Two significant differences to the Crucible: first, the Protheans were (almost) extinct by the time of Shep's talk with the VI; and second, the Protheans always were an organic life form.
    And that's what I think the child is. Computers don't build themselves. I assumed the whole time through that I was talking to a VI created by the Reapers' creators, an echo of their will. That the child controls the Reapers is no less a proof against that than the fact that Vigil controlled life support systems.

The Child/Crucible is a a synthetic life form. All details in the conversation aside for now, there is no need for an "artificial", hence immortal life form to put this cycle into the hands of a downgraded, "virtual" intelligence.
    The Crucible? Do you mean the Catalyst?

Again, I think it's silly to think a synthetic form could come into existence without an organic creator. The Reapers, the Catalyst, I believe it's strongly hinted that they were all fabricated. A Catalyst is something that affects change without being changed itself, and it seems obvious to me that the Catalyst and/or the Reapers were built during or in the wake of a synthetic apocalypse, in an attempt to keep it from ever happening again.

• @der_ketzer said: What I really wanted to say though: Who in his or her right mind would coose to not safe Ashley?

I didn't. Partly because I was playing a FemShep and partly because I wanted to see if Kaiden would snap and start killing everyone later on.

Also, Kaiden was voiced by the same guy who voiced Carth... so yeah. You can't even kill Carth in an evil playthrough of KOTOR, I don't think.

• @Rather Dashing said: Tycho of Penny Arcade weighs in on the ending, as does Gabe.

Ok, I said I wouldn't get drawn back into this but the idea that the whole game was the ending is just patently ridiculous. For someone who seems to pride himself on his literary chops, Tycho very fundamentally misunderstands the distinctions between climax, denouement, and conclusion. I don't totally disagree with some of their individual points about the complaints RE the endings, but that central point of theirs is just wrong.

• A new ipad app released by Gametrailers that shows the development process has apperantly deleted scenes that shows that the ending the originally planned was even more depressing.

A thread jumped from 1 to 50 pages in less than a half-hour forcing the moderator Chris Priestly to shut down the forums.

All hell has broken loose at this point what a mess for Bioware just a total disaster.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9999272/50

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@WARP10CK said: A new ipad app released by Gametrailers that shows the development process has apperantly deleted scenes that shows that the ending the originally planned was even more depressing.

A thread jumped from 1 to 50 pages in less than a half-hour forcing the moderator Chris Priestly to shut down the forums.

All hell has broken loose at this point what a mess for Bioware just a total disaster.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9999272/50

You mean, Mass Effect 3 is being slaughtered by the fans?

Sorry, I think I'm threadmerge-stalking you today. :o

Add Comment