User Avatar Image

Step by step: how to become an excellent Point and click gamer!

posted by presidentmax on - last edited - Viewed by 157 users

This is not me saying how to be good at adventure games. This is a question I would like to ask you. :D

I've always been horrible at point and click games (lack patience), but I've always loved playing them because of the stories, characters and the satisfaction of figuring out a puzzle.

I personally blame the internet for this, as it is so tempting to look at a walkthrough if I get stuck.

With the new kick starter Adventure game coming to us hopefully 2013, I want to get into training. I want to beat all the classic point and click games and become an excellent adventure gamer.

So here is my question. If someone was new to adventure games, in what order of games would you let them play to work their way up to harder games.

For example: What order would you have a newbie play these games from easiest to hard. (ignore non-adventure games like Brutal Legend and Psychonauts.)

Untitled-2.png

20 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I like Maniac Mansion.. but not NEARLY as much as I like DOTT... and yes you CAN play DOTT without ever having played MM and enjoy it.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

@Irishmile said: I like Maniac Mansion.. but not NEARLY as much as I like DOTT... and yes you CAN play DOTT without ever having played MM and enjoy it.

Also, isn't the entirety of MM inside DOTT on the computer?

• Yup. In fact if you use ScummVM, you can set it to boot straight to the first game.
    (Just direct it to the original game's files and voila! :D)

• If all else fails get Subject M to play the game. Because an employee's mother-in-law is deffffffinitely the best place to turn when it comes to adventure games. Extra points if she's completely gaming illiterate. YES. I JUST READ THAT FECKING ARTICLE. THE WHOLE DAMN THING!

• @presidentmax said: I personally blame the internet for this, as it is so tempting to look at a walkthrough if I get stuck.

This right here is the biggest problem.

When many of these adventure games came out, there wasn't any sort of Internet thingy that you could use to look up hints on, at least not in the extent that there is today. If you couldn't get anywhere on an adventure game, you'd have to put it aside for a while and come back a few days or weeks later, to see if the time off had given you any new perspective. Or play it with a friend and see if your different viewpoints caught anything obvious. Or beg a friend who had solved it to tell you. :)

Are you willing to put yourself through that, when you know the answers are just a couple of clicks away? Probably not. But if you give yourself a time limit, saying you're not going to check for hints until you've tried some silly things for at least an hour, maybe that will work out. When you do look up a hint, the reaction you want is, I never ever would have thought of that. If it was, oh, I should have tried that, you looked for the hint too soon.

Try doing funny, off the wall things with your inventory and the characters, and sometimes something unexpected will happen.

• If you're stuck in one of our award-winning adventure-type games, what you're gonna want to do is take every one of your items, and then use it with every other item until you find the right answer.

• "I can't use these things together"

• @supmandude85 said: If you're stuck in one of our award-winning adventure-type games, what you're gonna want to do is take every one of your items, and then use it with every other item until you find the right answer.

One day I'm going to make an adventure game where doing that causes your inventory to explode! >: )

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@presidentmax said: I personally blame the internet for this, as it is so tempting to look at a walkthrough if I get stuck.

This is why I linked to UHS. More people need to use this.

Add Comment