User Avatar Image

What are the definitive versions of MI 1 and 2?

posted by Hi-Hi on - last edited - Viewed by 762 users

It seems that there are some differences between the many versions of The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (talking about all of the original platforms the games were released on, not the special editions) and I can't really find the answer: What are considered to be the definitive versions of these games, or are there definitive versions? Amiga, Atari ST, CDTV, DOS, FM Towns, Mac OS, Sega CD (though that list varies for Monkey Island 2), which are the ones that are considered the best and/or the original?

15 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: I always remember certain things from the EGA version of Secret (as it was my first version), even though I've played the VGA CD version way more times since then.

Most notably, when you give the wimpy idol to the cannibals, Lemonhead has a bit of extra dialogue: "Simple. Just like one of mine. And little. Like mine. And it says 'Made by Lemonhead' - just like one of mine!" As I recall, in the VGA CD version and in SE, he only makes two comparisons, not three.

Yeah there are a few dialogue lines like that which are left out in the CD version of MI1.

IIRC Guybrush also has extra dialogue in MI2 when giving the fish to the fisherman on the Phatt Island wharf in the disk version.

• our very own ATMachine has created one of my very favorite fansites.. do not let the simple design of the site fool you.. It is brilliant it points out the differences in the versions as well as many other classic games... prepare to spend hours exploring.
    http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/index.html

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@ATMachine said: Yeah there are a few dialogue lines like that which are left out in the CD version of MI1.

I do know that the infamous stump joke was removed in the CD version, but was there any other missing dialogue as well?

• @Irishmile said: our very own ATMachine has created one of my very favorite fansites.. do not let the simple design of the site fool you.. It is brilliant it points out the differences in the versions as well as many other classic games... prepare to spend hours exploring.
    http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/index.html

Whoa, even more thoroughness! YAY! :D

• Frankly, I hate the MI special editions for the most part. There are a few video game remakes that I enjoy, but overall I hate video game remakes. Would you colorize CasaBlanca, or put new actors into it? Leave a classic alone.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@StarEye said: In short, I believe the PC version is best when played with MT-32, although I think you miss out on the sound effects, like when opening doors and such?

In the original executable this is true, but in ScummVM both the MT-32 music and the digital sound effects are played.

• @Jennifer said: In the original executable this is true, but in ScummVM both the MT-32 music and the digital sound effects are played.

Interesting. Does MT-32 emulation come with the ScummVM package, or do I have to download some external files to get it working?

• ScummVM should work right out of the box, so to speak.

Why don't you try it?

• "Simple. Just like one of mine. And little. Like mine. And it says 'Made by Lemonhead' - just like one of mine!" As I recall, in the VGA CD version and in SE, he only makes two comparisons, not three.

He make three comparisons in the VGA Floppy version. I remember it, because I've never played the EGA version, but I played the floppy version with VGA graphics and that was one of my favourite lines EVER :D

• I would say the versions of the game the Special Editions were built on are definitive; Secret is based on the last released version of the game, the 256 colour CD version with MP3 music. Revenge is based on the PC version with an (admittedly terrible) emulation of the MT-32. Although I personally think that the Adlib music sounds much nicer, a lot of people like the MT-32.

Add Comment