User Avatar Image

Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones (moved)

posted by Irishmile on - last edited - Viewed by 366 users

Moved from the King Graham with a mustache thread

Lucas and Spielberg originally wanted Tom Selleck to be Indiana Jones and his mustache was his trademark..

If that had happened he would have had one in the adventure games..

Artist Interpretation
selleck.jpg

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @BagginsKQ said: I also like Harrison Ford as indy, and I am glad he got the role.

Yeah me too... he was iconic.. I think Selleck is a great actor.. but he would not have been as good... but not everyone is cool like Ford.

also.. I have NEVER seen that cartoony Graham.. WOW!

• @BagginsKQ said: Anakin, the "mustache' remark was a 'joke'. No one has senses of humor anymore on the 'internets'...

It's hard to believe you even have a sense of humour since you're well-known as the community pedant. I'm not defensive, I just jump at the chance to prove you wrong for once. :)

You could have said something like "On the subject of Tom Selleck as Indy, here's a picture of the screen test he did..." and it wouldn't have been misconstrued as malicious or competitive in the midst of a debate about whether Selleck would have had to shave his moustache for the role of Indy or not, rather than just saying "Selleck as Indy".

Then again, knowing you, if you WERE to counterpoint, it would have been a wall of text.

Also:

153.jpg

• You could have said something like "On the subject of Tom Selleck as Indy, here's a picture of the screen test he did..."

That's basically paraphrased what I said, On 'Selleck and his Indy screentest'.

• Read my post again. I had to edit it for more explanation.

I always do that. Hands up all those that post first and edit later! It's a problem...

• rather than just saying "Selleck as Indy"

Yep, and I never said, "Selleck as Indy", I was specific that it was just a 'screentest' from the beginning. I typed "Selleck and the Indy screentest" :).

Please don't misquote me!

Also like you said, if I was going to debate it would have been a long list of counterpoints and cited evidence, an essay on why someone is wrong...

• It really doesn't matter either way guys because there is NO way to prove if he would have had to shave it off or not .. because he didn't end up in the film.

I personally think he would have had it because it WAS his trademark at the time... in fact when he shaved it the media made a big deal... and Indiana having one would not have impacted the story at all and the movie was made in the 80's when having one was fashionable.. even if the movie was set decades earlier. ... Kate Capshaw got to have 80's hair in Temple of Doom.

• High Road to China which starred Selleck... was very much an adventure movie in the vein of 1930's serials and Indiana Jones... Probably made cash in on the success of Raiders...

He got to keep his mustache, LOL.

• @Irishmile said: It really doesn't matter either way guys because there is NO way to prove if he would have had to shave it off or not .. because he didn't end up in the film.

I personally think he would have had it because it WAS his trademark at the time... in fact when he shaved it the media made a big deal... and Indiana having one would not have impacted the story at all and the movie was made in the 80's when having one was fashionable.. even if the movie was set decades earlier. ... Kate Capshaw got to have 80's hair in Temple of Doom.

Tom Selleck didn't have a "Trademark" in 1980 (when Raiders was shot) because he was a pretty much unknown actor...Magnum PI didn't premiere until December 1980. He didn't have any trademark or image with the public thus no media frenzy over how he looked at the time. Spielberg & Lucas had a very specific image of Indy in their mind as far back as 1978 and it was a cleanshaven, square jawed, "All American" sort of looking guy; Selleck and Ford fit this sort of image--A call back to the actors of the 1930s and 1940s. While Caphsaw's "80s hair" is stretching it, a thick moustache would not have been in Indy anyway because outside of older guys and foreigners, they weren't popular in America in the 1930s when Indy is set. Only small mustaches like Clark Gable's were...At the very most, Selleck as Indy might've had that. But it's more likely he would've been cleanshaven.

• I am a little sad nobody noticed that his mustache is an inventory item in that altered screencap.

• @Irishmile said: I am a little sad nobody noticed that his mustache is an inventory item in that altered screencap.

Because nobody gives a flying f-oh you're right, that's pretty neat!

Add Comment