User Avatar Image

Mass Effect Thread

posted by WARP10CK on - last edited - Viewed by 3.6K users

WARNING SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT 3

Just finished Mass Effect 3 and was having a great time until the last 5 minutes of the game.

The ending you get is probably the most depressing ending and since this is mass effect that´s probably the bad ending right ?

Nope all the endings are almost identical no matter what you do and the outrage on biowares forums are huge.

I would not mind a sad ending but there is no explanation to what happened this is the gaming equivalent to the sopranos ending.

Nothing is really resolved and there is not even an epilogue.

Oh well just look at biowares forums then you know

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/355/index

359 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Vainamoinen said: You mean, Mass Effect 3 is being slaughtered by the fans?

Sorry, I think I'm threadmerge-stalking you today. :o

No prob I have been busy covering this mess almost forgot that I made that thread thx for moving.

• synthetics.jpg

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "The Indoctrination Theory" that's going around.

The theory is, basically, that the conversations occurring within the Citadel are not really happening with Anderson and the Illusive Man, but within Shepard's own mind as he tries to resist indoctrination. Here's a link that explains the idea far better than I can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbghjn7_Byc

There's a lot going for this theory, and it's probably just people grasping at straws to make something meaningful out of the ending. Although I do agree that there are a lot of things that don't make sense: After the Reaper's laser takes you out, the radio chatter makes it pretty clear that the whole force was wiped out, whoever was observing it didn't notice both Shepard and Anderson getting up and heading into the beam? Not to mention the Reaper that was there--getting onto the Citadel is the galaxy's only hope of stopping the Reapers, why would it just kill the one attack force and then stop watching? And then there's your team: Tali and Garrus were in London with me, why did the ending show them aboard the Normandy? And why was the Normandy fleeing through a relay anyway? Joker wouldn't just abandon the final climactic battle that was going to determine whether or not life continued.

There's definitely either something more going on here. Unfortunately it's probably going to be revealed via a $9.99 DLC.

• I've seen that explanation, but that just means they made a good ending worse.

I don't need to remind you why Prince of Persia's ending (the one with the DLC ending) wasn't really well received.

• here is someone who thinks you are all stupid pricks for not likiong what you got with ME3. Someone with a free review-copy of course.
    http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/03/12/mass-effect-3-opinion-video

This is clearly a douchebag pulling our strings so they can make more money from ads because people will share this (like I just did).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is what AngryJoe thought about the ending.

Warning! Massive spoilers. There are all 9 endings in this video. Playing at the same time so you can see how extremely different they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6M0Cf864P7E

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I've heard that one before. The stance is exactly EA's: Eat our entire shit or don't buy it. If IGN wanted to insult its audience, well, good work.

While I wouldn't exactly disagree with all of the points the man makes, his pompous attitude, utter self-righteousness and derogatory manner towards those who chose to protest are telltale signs that his two cents are best ignored altogether. In fact, Moriarty acts so incredibly affected, complete with actual rapper gestures, that I cannot but interpret his show as pure satire.

The man went online, did a little youtube search and pasted an enraged fat man into his video - one who, needless to say, did not present his point of view in the most convincing manner. Meaning "this is you if you don't like the ending". Strawman argument accusation aside, that's just plain bad form.

Colin argues that games are cheaper today than yesterday. I disagree, but I would say they're roughly the same price. Then again, I only know the prices from my own country; and I feel that the freedom EA has taken from me with their DRM would well justify a far, far lower price. In fact, EA should have bought the right to invade my privacy like that at a far higher price than those 50€ I spent on this game and its unused DLC.

Colin Moriarty argues that the customer doesn't have the right to demand another ending. He is right. The customers can voice their disappointment and tell Bioware that they completely dropped the ball. They can even argue that the ending retrospectively ruins the entire series for them. They can ask for another ending in hope that the game will be remedied for them.

But nothing will make these things better, least of all a new ending. Bioware hasn't built up their story towards an ending that matters. As the build-up is missing, how could another ending be more satisfying? The ME3 fans got three random heads to a completely irrelevant body, now the option of a fourth should make things right? Giving in to their fans here would unfortunately be a very stupid idea for Bioware.

I'll put it even more bluntly and hope I won't incite anyone with it: Bioware has proven limited narrative vision with the ME3 endings; add a fourth lame ending and the limited vision might be Bioware's epitaph.

/edit: After watching that last AngryJoeShow video, well, I revised one thought up there. Fans were promised a lot of things that Bioware obviously never had the intent to deliver - and that stuff fans CAN demand. It won't happen, though, for the above-mentioned reasons. But the AngryJoeShow can definitely pride itself with presenting arguments in a calm and convincing manner here. I particularly agree with point #9 (14:09 in the video). Job well done.

• @Vainamoinen said: I've heard that one before. The stance is exactly EA's: Eat our entire shit or don't buy it. If IGN wanted to insult its audience, well, good work.

While I wouldn't exactly disagree with all of the points the man makes, his pompous attitude, utter self-righteousness and derogatory manner towards those who chose to protest are telltale signs that his two cents are best ignored altogether. In fact, Moriarty acts so incredibly affected, complete with actual rapper gestures, that I cannot but interpret his show as pure satire.

The man went online, did a little youtube search and pasted an enraged fat man into his video - one who, needless to say, did not present his point of view in the most convincing manner. Meaning "this is you if you don't like the ending". Strawman argument accusation aside, that's just plain bad form.

Colin argues that games are cheaper today than yesterday. I disagree, but I would say they're roughly the same price. Then again, I only know the prices from my own country; and I feel that the freedom EA has taken from me with their DRM would well justify a far, far lower price. In fact, EA should have bought the right to invade my privacy like that at a far higher price than those 50€ I spent on this game and its unused DLC.

Colin Moriarty argues that the customer doesn't have the right to demand another ending. He is right. The customers can voice their disappointment and tell Bioware that they completely dropped the ball. They can even argue that the ending retrospectively ruins the entire series for them. They can ask for another ending in hope that the game will be remedied for them.

But nothing will make these things better, least of all a new ending. Bioware hasn't built up their story towards an ending that matters. As the build-up is missing, how could another ending be more satisfying? The ME3 fans got three random heads to a completely irrelevant body, now the option of a fourth should make things right? Giving in to their fans here would unfortunately be a very stupid idea for Bioware.

I'll put it even more bluntly and hope I won't incite anyone with it: Bioware has proven limited narrative vision with the ME3 endings; add a fourth lame ending and the limited vision might be Bioware's epitaph.

/edit: After watching that last AngryJoeShow video, well, I revised one thought up there. Fans were promised a lot of things that Bioware obviously never had the intent to deliver - and that stuff fans CAN demand. It won't happen, though, for the above-mentioned reasons. But the AngryJoeShow can definitely pride itself with presenting arguments in a calm and convincing manner here. I particularly agree with point #9 (14:09 in the video). Job well done.

The angry joe video surprised me alot I would have expected him to go nuts on the endings but instead he presented his argument in a calm reflected manner. And I totally agree with him.

• @WARP10CK said: The angry joe video surprised me alot I would have expected him to go nuts on the endings but instead he presented his argument in a calm reflected manner. And I totally agree with him.

His actual review of ME3 was more scathing towards the endings. I suspect he knew that this particular video was something that would get a lot of attention, and in situations like this it's always better to be calm and rational when presenting your arguments.

• @Rather Dashing said: In all three, Shepard sacrifices his/her life for the good of the galaxy, and I have no idea what could be more of a nice guy action than that.

Actually, in the renegade/red/shoot the thing option, a short teaser-style scene is shown where Shepard draws a breath from underneath some rubble. So, not necessarily dead.

• I just got banned from the bioware forums I asked one of the mods after he had closed several threads this : U MAD ?

And all of a sudden 24 hour ban LOL

Add Comment