User Avatar Image

The BioWare / EA / Origin thread

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

I couldn't readily find a thread specifically about Western RPGs or BioWare, so I made one, and expanded the title to inclue EA and Origin in case the topic changed to such.

211 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JedExodus said: Origin, though it doesn't really matter. They're both the same in that regard which was my point.

At least Steam doesn't force me to be online all the times when I have DLC, and it doesn't ban me on Steam if I'm banned on the forums.

• @GaryCXJk said: At least Steam doesn't force me to be online all the times when I have DLC, and it doesn't ban me on Steam if I'm banned on the forums.

Aye, the single EA account for everything policy stinks though I think your DLC issues may be game specific, i'd no such issues with ME3 and a spotty connection.

• @JedExodus said: Origin, though it doesn't really matter. They're both the same in that regard which was my point.

Well ask some other people and they'd tell you that both services scan your entire PC, kill your dog and EAt your parents. While in reality only one of them does that.

• @der_ketzer said: Well ask some other people and they'd tell you that both services scan your entire PC, kill your dog and eat your parents. While in reality only one of them does that.

EAt your parents?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Vainamoinen said:
    Registering ME3 DLC indeed means that the offline mode of Origin doesn't work anymore.. That's as close to consumer deception as it gets considering former EA statements. So I bought a DLC that I won't play and can't give back. The game's reluctance to load games in offline mode that used a DLC is as close to "we delete your savegame" as I can imagine. BRA-VO, EA, you got my money already without delivering. Isn't that what you always wanted?

Time to blow off some steam here. This problem has since been identified and discussed on the Bioware forums by users with the very same problem since the game was released in March. The problem lies with some internet connections and I was able to load saves that used the DLC in offline mode when I did not establish/deactivate an internet connection after booting my PC. Which of course screams "Origin looks for online possibilities even in offline mode", but that's not even the kicker.

Now, more than two months after release, and after EA must have found out about this huge fuckup, Origin has just reached version 8.6 (!) and a new patch for ME3 came out.

Does it fix this issue which sure as hell is known to Bioware and EA, I ask you, what do you think?

ZIP. They don't even acknowledge the problem.

Out of mere responsibility for other customers, I could not ever buy an EA product again. EA is an impressive symbol for EVERYTHING wrong in gaming these days, and if customers don't act according to that knowledge, PC gaming is sure to perish. :mad:

• @Vainamoinen said: Time to blow off some steam here.

:D Steam.

And be assured: According to EA there is no problem. That's just your stupid "user"-view on the case. But what Do you know. EA is glorious.

• @der_ketzer said: :D Steam.

And be assured: According to EA there is no problem. That's just your stupid "user"-view on the case. But what Do you know. EA is glorious.

Isn't it grand when things work as intended?

• Two things occurred to me recently:

First, Deathspank is published by EA. It's like Ron Gilbert + EA = confused to the point of being mindblown.

Second, users used to hate on Steam when it first came out, for such as having games on disc requiring Steam, so it makes me wonder if the disdain for Origin will wane in future.

• Well, back in the day, Steam worked like shit, so people hated it (plus digital game distribution was pretty much a non-explored concept). Valve fixed stuff, Steam is awesome now. EA released Origin which worked like shit, so people hated it (especially now that digital game distribution is a VERY explored concept). So yeah, when EA will bring Origin to a level that can normally compete with Steam - yes, the hate will wane in the future. Except that it won't really matter. When Steam was released, there was nothing like Steam, so there really wasn't much of a choice but to wait until things get better. When Origin was released, there was Steam, and even if EA fixes all the stuff they ****ed up, people will still prefer Steam.

Add Comment