User Avatar Image

The Make Fun of America Thread

posted by NatsFan on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

As an American, I find it annoying when I make fun of some other country and some guy from that country gets all offended about it. So, to show that I'm a good sport, I invite people to make fun of/insult/rant about America in this thread. Go on, you know you want to!

58 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Waitohooru said: I thought that was what I was doing!

Then you need to do better than replacing the word "LucasArts" with "American" in a rant

@Waitohooru said: Hehe, I completely agree. Our shows are AWFUL. Good thing for britcom DVDs :D

But... But what about Frasier!

Most British TV is crap though, the new sitcoms they're making are terrible, and then you have crap like Wallpaper Challenge and generally anything involving Noel Edmunds, but that's going to be America's fault just because it's the insult America thread. I like the old British sitcoms though. Blackadder, Red Dwarf etc etc :P

But still, I only have freeview and there's only anything good on like 3 channels in any given month. Ouch

• Frasier's the exception, of course. :p (And one hell of an exception... that is the best show EVAH)

• @ShaggE said: Hehe, I completely agree. Our shows are AWFUL. Good thing for britcom DVDs :D

(I love that "blind butcher" phrase, by the way... I'm stealing that :p)

In my opinion, British TV is automatically more awesome than TV over here thanks to Charlie Brooker.

• @Mister Flibble said: But... But what about Frasier!

Most British TV is crap though, the new sitcoms they're making are terrible, and then you have crap like Wallpaper Challenge and generally anything involving Noel Edmunds, but that's going to be America's fault just because it's the insult America thread. I like the old British sitcoms though. Blackadder, Red Dwarf etc etc :P

Of course, Frasier and Cheers are classics now... And, from the new generation, Malcolm in the middle, My name is Earl and Scrubs are great too...

For british sitcoms, some new (or not so old) are very good like Coupling (my favourite sitcom), Black Books and Extras...

• The make fun of America, and recommend British TV imports thread!!

I recommend Spaced, The Day Today, Brass Eye, and Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (which is apparently airing in the US finally?)

• The Thin Blue Line, Absolutely Fabulous -classics

:)

• @Jake said: The make fun of America, and recommend British TV imports thread!!

I recommend Spaced, The Day Today, Brass Eye, and Garth Marenghi's Darkplace (which is apparently airing in the US finally?)

Of course Spaced, from the creaters of Hot Fuzz ! I really have to watch it !

• User Avatar Image
    Mel

@Jake said: The make fun of America, and recommend British TV imports thread!!

I love Spaced (what I've seen of it - I have to finish watching the rest of the episodes).

Yes, Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is on Adult Swim. It was airing Friday evenings but I don't know if it's still on at that time (or if it's still on there at all). They switch stuff around quite a bit. I have watched it and it's an acquired taste. It isn't a gut-busting funny kind of show. Quite honestly, I'm not sure what to make of it. I don't dislike it but I'm not sure what kind of emotion it evokes (did that make any sense?).

• @Jake said: ...
    I recommend Spaced,

McG are doing a US version of that. They didn't involve the original writers or cast at any level, but the script seems to be the same, really. Might be worth looking out for.
    Brass eye was great, too. There was another series called Jam, which was much more viscerally frightening, but hugely fun.
    A lot of these programmes are great, and most of them are also finished. Like, say, Red Dwarf. It was great, but if I want to watch it, I'll dig up the DVDs, not watch it on TV.
    Great running programmes, though: The Mighty Boosh, Scrubs, Horizon, Lost, a handful of others I can't think of. Back on topic though, these great programmes redeem U.S. TV nothing in the face of this.

• @Limenut said: McG are doing a US version of that. They didn't involve the original writers or cast at any level, but the script seems to be the same, really. Might be worth looking out for.

From what I heard, the script is more of a knockoff than the same. For instance, I've heard that the thing at the beginning about crying at the end of Terminator 2, "You know, with the thumb," has been changed to a drawn-out Lord of the Rings reference. I don't really know if dudes actually get teary-eyed at the end of T2, but the scene with the thumbs-up is a totally iconic and perfect reference for that moment, and replacing it with Lord of the Rings seems like a wholly arbitrary modification of that joke. A guy comparing how he feels about breaking up with is girlfriend to how he cried when they watched the end of T2 together and he saw Schwarzeneggers thumb fall into the lava is a reference to T2, but it was also really nicely about a moment the couple shared together. Why change it to an LOTR reference-off? Is it an attempt to modernize it? Is there anyone out there who wouldn't get a reference to the end of T2 that would get a reference to the claymation Star Wars chess game which is also reportedly added to the beginning of the pilot? It seems really assy and scattershot to me, from the few reviews that are out online.

Add Comment