User Avatar Image

Steam Sale Spotlight

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 36.1K users

Hereupon exists a place to discuss current Steam Spotlight deals and your opinion of the games' value and/or the sale price.

4.9K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Chyron8472 said: Several Steam games of mine have misleading (ie. inflated) play times shown for them because I have nasty habit of leaving my game running paused in the background without turning it off. It's a habit I picked up from the old console days for games with no manual save option (yet lately I've been doing this to games like Mass Effect, Just Cause 2, Arkham Asylum and Saints Row 2).

Does anyone else do this?

I do it on my PC. Mainly because I'll be playing just fine and then one of my parents calls me away for something. I think it will be short so I pause the game and it ends up taking three hours.

I've since learned to also SAVE my game when I pause it.

• I've had two video card fans die on me as a result of being under constant use and strain (running graphics) for too long. The first one just up and died altogether and the card can't even run properly anymore. Discolouration and artifacts just started going all over the screen. They were both ATI cards, though. Nevertheless, I take no chances anymore. And those aren't my only experiences, but two good examples. I just fear for graphics processors overheating. Especially when overclocked.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I've had two video card fans die on me as a result of being under constant use and strain (running graphics) for too long. The first one just up and died altogether and the card can't even run properly anymore. Discolouration and artifacts just started going all over the screen. They were both ATI cards, though. Nevertheless, I take no chances anymore. And those aren't my only experiences, but two good examples. I just fear for graphics processors overheating. Especially when overclocked.

Well, my computer tends to go to sleep after about fifteen minutes and with the power supply I've got, the entire thing basically shuts off except for three lights. So, my playtimes aren't THAT inflated, I guess.

• Your computer shuts down DURING a game's runtime (paused)?

• I'm guessing it's only when he's not running a game. PCs tend to count games as 'something', even if they're paused, otherwise it would just piss people off when they have to answer the phone and their game quit on them without any warning.

I have a habit of leaving console games paused (or worse, just leaving the console on after I quit a game), but not PC games, since I do other stuff on that. Like visit forums, hint hint.

• If that's what he's talking about, he's missing the point. Chryon leaves his games paused, which is what I would be afraid of with regards to causing damage. I leave my computer on all the time as well. Just not in a game. Unless it's like ScummVM or DOSBox or something. But anything that uses the graphics processor will get constantly taxed when paused. Also, screensavers don't come on in a game. So you're leaving your monitor in the hands of the fates, another thing I'm paranoid about.

• Today's Daily Deal is the Spellforce series. The game on the front page is Spellforce 2: Gold Edition, but really both games in the series are 75% off, and there's a bundle for both that saves you even more.

Spellforce 1: Platinum Edition - £2.24 / $2.49
    Spellforce 2: Gold Edition - £3.49 / $3.74
    Spellforce Universe (both games) - £4.49 / $4.99

(Worth noting the store pages for both games are f**ked, displaying '#app_39550_content' under the 'About the Game' section, which is useful. In short, they're both pretty good crosses between RPG and RTS).

Also, Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Augmented Edition) is 75% off over at GreenManGaming.

• I'm not sure why, but Portal 2 is 50%-off / $9.99 / £7.49, the bundle of Portal 1 & 2 is $12.49, not sure about UK pricing.

• Well spotted that man! Portal 2 (and the bundle) are indeed on offer. It's the Midweek Madness.

Prices:
    Portal 2: £7.49 / $9.99
    Portal 1 + 2 Bundle - £8.99 / $12.49

• @figmentPez said: I'm not sure why, but Portal 2 is 50%-off / $9.99 / £7.49, the bundle of Portal 1 & 2 is $12.49, not sure about UK pricing.

Level Editor coming out soon perhaps?

Add Comment