User Avatar Image

Mass Effect Thread

posted by WARP10CK on - last edited - Viewed by 3.7K users

WARNING SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT 3

Just finished Mass Effect 3 and was having a great time until the last 5 minutes of the game.

The ending you get is probably the most depressing ending and since this is mass effect that´s probably the bad ending right ?

Nope all the endings are almost identical no matter what you do and the outrage on biowares forums are huge.

I would not mind a sad ending but there is no explanation to what happened this is the gaming equivalent to the sopranos ending.

Nothing is really resolved and there is not even an epilogue.

Oh well just look at biowares forums then you know

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/355/index

359 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @GaryCXJk said: Sounds like some sequel that could only be written if the original writers wouldn't be involved in it.

Well since a bunch of rabid chimps wrote the ending to ME3 there is no harm in changing the writers.

• Yeah, but there will always be an outrcy of fans for the original ending. Twenty years from now, the original writers would still close their mouth as Telltale makes Chronicles of Mass Effect.

• Well, the thing with DLC is that you don't have to get it. If you're happy with the original endings, then hey, more power to you. You can have them. Not a problem. But if you're not, then the option is there, y'know?

• Has anyone tried playing the game with the absolute minimum number of surviving characters from ME2? I only say this because I don't want to believe that there is NO way to completely doom advanced organic life and have Reapers eat everyone for tea. That should be allowed to happen.

• Shepard can die in ME2. What happens if you import that savegame into ME3. Or is that even possible?

• I haven't played Mass Effect 3, but from what I've read, (I'm probably never going to play ME3 anyway...), I think I have to go with the fans on this one.

Essentially this ending is exactly like Fallout 3's ending.

Its unsatisfying, its poorly written, and it plain doesn't make any sense!
    (Not in the funny way. Just in that terrible kind of flat "what?" way)

I think Bioware should take a page out of Bethesda's book and make a sort of small expansion, (free if they want extra Kudos) that removes the ending, and provides a new extension to the story that provides a more final confrontation.

I've seen the indoctrination theory, and I say Bioware should just go with that, (or something similar).
    Make Sherpard fight some tough enemies, and have a FINAL FINAL battle with the heart of the enemy empire itself.

If you planned incorrectly and die - Everything fails and the cycle begins anew.
    If you planned correctly but still die - Some things fail and the fight goes underground.
    If you plan incorrectly but survive - Shepard abandon's the plan and escapes, but is severly wounded and irrepairably crippled by the fight, and becomes "the commander", the man organising and training the survivors in preperation for when the enemy eventually recovers. Finds a promising young recruit in training and smiles.
    If you plan correctly and win - The saga concludes, but Shepard, exhausted from all his battles and yet satisfied with his ultimate victory, allows his crew to escape as he fights to the very end against the rest of the reaper forces. Your one-on-many battle gets timed, and how long you survive determines who escapes. Then an epilogue plays out that provides extra context.

EDIT: By planning, I mean the culmination of all the decisions you made in Mass Effect 1,2, and 3.
    Even minor decisions can add up to a larger impact. You might make most of the right important decisions, but some minor decisions could change the detail in the final plans and make it fail.
    There would be some deviance for failure in place, but the amount of success you would need would be around 70-80%

EDIT 2: Besides, I've seen artists change an ending before. I've seen people change entire parts of a story before.

I mean, Alien 3 had a lot cut out and then put back in. Most people argue that Director's Cut is better.

Blade Runner had loads of edits. The final version being the best in my opinion.

Blue Oyster Cult has a few different versions of some of their songs. The live versions especially are different. But Astronomy has two album versions.

Artistic Integrity is just an excuse, especially when people have a lot of validity in questioning it.

• @der_ketzer said: Shepard can die in ME2. What happens if you import that savegame into ME3. Or is that even possible?

I've heard that isn't possible. Which is sad because it would be fun to try and play through as Joker and turn it into a survival horror game.

• @Alcoremortis said: I've heard that isn't possible. Which is sad because it would be fun to try and play through as Joker and turn it into a survival horror game.

That 5 minute sequence in ME2 was more than enough, thanks. :p

• @Alcoremortis said: Has anyone tried playing the game with the absolute minimum number of surviving characters from ME2? I only say this because I don't want to believe that there is NO way to completely doom advanced organic life and have Reapers eat everyone for tea. That should be allowed to happen.

Hmmm...that would require letting the entire non-squad crew of the Normandy to be liquified by the Collectors, and finishing ME2 with only Jack, Samara/Morinth, Miranda, Legion, Mordin, and Tali alive. Then you would need to ignore the ME3 mission to save Grissom Academy, which would doom Jack to becoming a Phantom that you must kill at the Cerberus HQ. Samara is easy to get rid of, just let her kill herself. And if you had Morinth instead, then she becomes a banshee you have to kill. Miranda will die if you don't warn her about the assassin, didn't complete her loyalty mission, or don't talk her dad down/kill him. Mordin dies no matter what you do, unless you say to **** with the Krogans. And if you choose to upload the Reaper Code, but cannot broker peace between the Quarians and the Geth, Legion dies propagating the code among the Geth, and Tali commits suicide. This would leave you with Jake, Liara, EDI, and Kaiden/Ashley. And Javik if you have the From Ashes DLC and want a mopey Prothean on your ship.

• @Shadowknight1 said: Hmmm...that would require letting the entire non-squad crew of the Normandy to be liquified by the Collectors, and finishing ME2 with only Jack, Samara/Morinth, Miranda, Legion, Mordin, and Tali alive. Then you would need to ignore the ME3 mission to save Grissom Academy, which would doom Jack to becoming a Phantom that you must kill at the Cerberus HQ. Samara is easy to get rid of, just let her kill herself. And if you had Morinth instead, then she becomes a banshee you have to kill. Miranda will die if you don't warn her about the assassin, didn't complete her loyalty mission, or don't talk her dad down/kill him. Mordin dies no matter what you do, unless you say to **** with the Krogans. And if you choose to upload the Reaper Code, but cannot broker peace between the Quarians and the Geth, Legion dies propagating the code among the Geth, and Tali commits suicide. This would leave you with Jake, Liara, EDI, and Kaiden/Ashley. And Javik if you have the From Ashes DLC and want a mopey Prothean on your ship.

Honestly, if the choice is between Mordin and the entire Krogan race... fuck the Krogans, I'm keeping Mordin. When I play ME3, I plan to have him and Garrus flanking my alien-loving Femshep as she fights her way to the universe's demise.

Add Comment