User Avatar Image

Rate the Last Game You Finished

posted by DrRocketGenius on - last edited - Viewed by 7.7K users

Title says it all. Rate the last video game you completed.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - 9.5/10

835 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The Blackwell Legacy - 5/10

It doesn't suck exactly, but dang is it short. Steam says I played it for 3.7 hours, and I've already beat it. It's not incredibly easy (though I wouldn't say it's difficult either); there's just not a whole lot of plot until the end of the game. I would have been annoyed had I bought the game at full price without it also being bundled with the next two.

Also, the voice-acting for Rosa makes her sound apathetic about everything, until she meets Joey after which it improves a bit.

• @Chyron8472 said: The Blackwell LegacyIt doesn't suck exactly, but dang is it short. Steam says I played it for 3.7 hours, and I've already beat it. It's not incredibly easy (though I wouldn't say it's difficult either); there's just not a whole lot of plot until the end of the game. I would have been annoyed had I bought the game at full price without it also being bundled with the next two.

Also, the voice-acting for Rosa makes her sound apathetic about everything, until she meets Joey after which it improves a bit.

If you got the Steam bundle, that should be all four games, unless you bought it before a couple of months ago. Yeah, they're all pretty short. I've got 3.3, 2.8, 2.9 and 4.0 on record for the entire bundle. I think that's a pretty decent total length for the cost of the bundle. At least compared to The Next Big Thing and Yesterday, which I've no intention of playing until their prices are lowered.

And yeah, the voice-acting is pretty bad across all games. It sounds like dialogue just read aloud from the script, as opposed to, you know, voice acting.

• @flesk said: If you got the Steam bundle, that should be all four games, unless you bought it before a couple of months ago.

I bought the first 3 bundled with the Indie Royale Xmas Bundle. The fourth was gifted to me.

It just sounds deceptive when I think about how the Blackwell Bundle sounds like it should be cheaper because it is a bundled series of separate games, when really it's more like buying an episodic series--and a TTG season (for example) is cheaper as a whole than it would be if one bought every episode individually.

My point is not that each game is short, but that it's deceptively short from the packaging, such that one doesn't know they really ought to buy the whole series together to get their proper money's worth.

• Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. No rating, since I'm not really qualified to give one.

I got so lucky with this. I'm not that great at games like this at all, so the prospect of spending ages on it just to get one sodding trophy was not a pleasant thought. Now just to get that platinum!

• Getting perfect achievements on the Megadrive collection was the easiest I have ever managed to achieved.
    (In fact, its the only "game" I ever managed to 100% XD)

• It seems that lately I have taken to bringing down the number of unfinished games on my Backloggery. As such, I finally took to playing episode 4 of Wallace and Gromit.

Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures - 7/10

Tales of Monkey Island and Sam & Max, they are not. But these are still pretty good episodes. They have very little story tying them together (which is not negative in this case) and, as an American, the dry British humor is rather lost on me, but I still will say that each episode is solid.

On a side note, I would not recommend ordering the DVD from TTG, as I have been told that the episodes on the disc use online activation (same as the downloads) and all the extras are already available online for free. However, I would still recommend buying the episodes from Steam or else just the downloads from the Telltale Store.

If you consider that in fact that each episode is effectively $5, it's well worth the money spent.

• Blackwell Unbound; The Blackwell Convergence; The Blackwell Deception.

The Blackwell games do feel more like episodes in a game series than individual adventure games. That being said, each successive game in the series is longer than the previous one. While The Blackwell Legacy is extremely short, The Blackwell Deception is more than adequate in length for an standalone game. Also, Deception ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, so I hope they make more and eventually wrap up the story.

I'm not saying the games are not recommended. I'm saying if you're going to buy them, buy them all.

• Fallout 3 - GOTY
    Oh my this is a hard one. The base game without the Addons was just great, took 48 hours to complete and what a fun ride it was! Once you get used to the world it already grabbed you and will not let you go until you finished the game. The main game gets a full 10/10

But now to the hard part: The DLC packs. I'm actually glad I didn't pay for every one of them but got them on sale in this GOTY. These are strange for various reasons.
    ° they unbalance the game. There are new powerful guns, a lot of ammo, armor (including the chance to learn the power armor skill early, al ot of healing items!) thank god I played them all after the main game was finished.

° Some of them are filled with bugs.

° Strange Gameplay

° they added another 20 hours of gameplay to the game. Some of that was stretched by searching for collectibles or finding all locations in Point Lookout. I wanted all the achievements and I got them ;)

Point Lookout: That one had a nice story even though I hated the "trippy" sequence a lot. But hey I could go around and kill these druggies after everything was finished so: no grudges! Annoying achievement: find all locations. Why? because the map is absolutely bugged out in large portions of the DLC-area. 8/10

Mothership Zeta
    It had a horrible collect all logs achievement but was rather good otherwise. Length was about 6 hours. 6 hours you couldn't return to the wasteland that is. Also it ponied me. So many ponies. Ahhhhhhhh. Also: you get a ton of healing items and some great Energy Weapons with tons of ammo.9/10

Operation Anchorage
    My god am I glad this one wasn't any longer. Horrible COD gameplay (I ran around with the sniper rifle and never used VATS. It was a turture for me tbh. Also you get the Power Armor perk from this DLC and an armor to put on which would really unbalance the game if you do this quest early on. There were collectibles but no achievement to get so I didn't care for them too much. 2/10

The Pitt
    Well that one was a great experience from start to finish. Even the collectibles achievement was okay but I needed a mod for the last of the ingots. Story was great and it was overall free of bugs, but seems to have a nasty one on the 360. Play this and steal a baby! 10/10

Broken Steel
    That one has the advantage that it raises the maximum level to 30. Otherwise I would say it isn't that great really. It can only be played if you survive the end of the game. It will give you a chance to see how your decision at the end worked out etc.
    Even though I enjoyed it more than Anchorage I was actually looking forward to it finally being over. Also I would have wished for a few better Perks from level 21-30. the ones from the earlier levels just were a lot more useful.
    Also I got stuck in several places during these missions and some of the enemies bugged out. And thenb they just throw everything on you and it's finally over. 7/10

• Gotham City Imposters

I haven't completed the game, but the game thinks so.

Stupid GFWL "features" prevent me from finding a single match in weeks.

The game itself is a great one, but you won't be playing it with the matchmaking system it currently has.

• That would be The Tiny Bang Story. 7/10.

It's a beautiful game, and very charming, but some of the puzzles lacked logic (I'm looking at you, pipes!) and some of the hidden items were ludicrously placed, practically forcing you to rely on the hint system. But overall, I enjoyed it and it definitely did its job in distracting me from working on my review. :p

Add Comment