User Avatar Image

Mass Effect Thread

posted by WARP10CK on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

WARNING SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT 3

Just finished Mass Effect 3 and was having a great time until the last 5 minutes of the game.

The ending you get is probably the most depressing ending and since this is mass effect that´s probably the bad ending right ?

Nope all the endings are almost identical no matter what you do and the outrage on biowares forums are huge.

I would not mind a sad ending but there is no explanation to what happened this is the gaming equivalent to the sopranos ending.

Nothing is really resolved and there is not even an epilogue.

Oh well just look at biowares forums then you know

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/355/index

359 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I just want an explanation for why, supposing indoctrination, you get three choices if you're really prepared and only one if you're not. Is this implying that the unprepared Shepard has rushed through things so there hasn't been enough time for it to really take a hold of him?

• @LuigiHann said: The "destroy" option kills all synthetics. You know, like the Reapers.

Whoops, fixed.

• @Alcoremortis said: I just want an explanation for why, supposing indoctrination, you get three choices if you're really prepared and only one if you're not. Is this implying that the unprepared Shepard has rushed through things so there hasn't been enough time for it to really take a hold of him?

I had a couple theories on this. It does seem really odd that you'd have to unlock a "bad" ending.

One possibility: what you're really unlocking is choice. The fact that you get to choose is a reward for playing well.

One theory for how this could work in-universe... A stronger Shepard means that the Reapers feel the need to try harder to confuse him, so they put more effort into the scenario.

Either way I agree this is what stands out as being odd here. I wonder if there's more to the synthesis ending that we're missing. It is the weirdest of the three options by far.

Also, I don't totally know if this is right, but the mass effect wikia seemed to think that it doesn't simply default to the "Destroy" option if your war assets are low, it will select either Destroy or Control depending on whether you destroyed or preserved the Collector Base at the end of ME2. Which again says to me that the third option is more about the privilege having three options to choose from rather than the contents of the third option itself... Still... weird...

• @tobar said: Well the other part of it is that if it were true than that means they could have meant to release a DLC with the real ending a month or two later. Probably/hopefully free. There was a rumor there's supposed to be a big free DLC release next month with that and a bunch of multiplayer stuff.

If that wasn't their original intent they could still use the theory as a jumping off point and release a new ending(s) based off the indoctrination theory anyway.

Yes, but the problem people are having IS the fact that the ending is going to be DLC.

I mean, regardless of whether the DLC will be free or not, the intent would have always been to make this DLC paid.

Also, Microsoft doesn't really allow much of free DLC. So there's that.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Darth Marsden said: Would you guys say that's a decent summary?

It does hit most of the crucial points without babbling (something I could never do ;) ). It could be added that the endings all negate Shepard's efforts to co-operate with other species, the philosophy of the entire series; and also, that Shepard accepts the three choices without argument, which would have been his/her specialty. ;)

• @GaryCXJk said: Yes, but the problem people are having IS the fact that the ending is going to be DLC.

I mean, regardless of whether the DLC will be free or not, the intent would have always been to make this DLC paid.

Also, Microsoft doesn't really allow much of free DLC. So there's that.

Yeah I totally get that but at this point I personally don't care anymore I just need a real ending. No matter what Bioware does now they're going to be screwed. I know I'm going to think twice before purchasing another Bioware title and that really makes me sad as I used to be a fan and champion of the company. I chalk all this down to the influence EA has had on the company and I just want to slap whoever agreed to sell to that monster.

• The same reason I'm not really too fond of the fact EA has bought PopCap.

• @GaryCXJk said: The same reason I'm not really too fond of the fact EA has bought PopCap.

Plants vs Zombies 2 with 3 endings.

Destroy all the zombies with red explosion.

Merge zombies with plants with green explosion.

Control zombies with blue explosion.

And an ending which makes no sense. Whoops.

• @The Gentleman said: Plants vs Zombies 2 with 3 endings.

Destroy all the zombies with red explosion.

Merge zombies with plants with green explosion.

Control zombies with blue explosion.

And an ending which makes no sense. Whoops.

Actually that makes more sense!

I wonder if some important documents got mixed up in the EA office...

• @Vainamoinen said: It does hit most of the crucial points without babbling (something I could never do ;) ). It could be added that the endings all negate Shepard's efforts to co-operate with other species, the philosophy of the entire series; and also, that Shepard accepts the three choices without argument, which would have been his/her specialty. ;)

I disagree that all the endings negate Shepard's efforts. The destruction ending would, without a doubt, unless you sided with the quarians and destroyed the geth. The synthesis ending though, I firmly believe works out the best for all involved. Except Shep, but the hero sometimes has to sacrifice him/herself to save the day. But with the help of all the races, I could see the galaxy rebuilding the mass relay network.

Add Comment