User Avatar Image

Dying in telltale games

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

I'm not sure if this hes been asked before but will there be dying in telltale adventure games, that is if you do something wrong your character will die in an amusing manner and you will have to revert to a saved game?

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

In CMI you can jump off a cliff,not use an umbrella and live, in fact, you can't die.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

That's what I like about Lucasarts adventure games; they encourage you to think about the puzzles rather than worry about dying if you do something wrong (or if you move to a different point on the screen which seems the case with Sierra games).

• in MI 1 I remember them poking fun at Sierra. Rubber trees saved you.
    I think that allowing you to try out some stupid things is a good chance for some humor in the game. I remember again from MI trying to do some stupid things and getting a couple funny replies back aside from the normal " I'm not putting that in my pants"

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]In CMI you can jump off a cliff,not use an umbrella and live, in fact, you can't die.[/quote]

Yes, that's because they made fun of the crappy Sierra-games in that scene. They even used the standard-Sierra-font for the 'You died'-message. ;)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]did you guys ever play Freddy Pharcus: Frontier Pharmacist. it was a sierra game. however you could die by stepping in an ant hill and probably a lot of other ways that i dont remember.[/quote]

I never managed to finish this game, the last scene (fight with a "boss") led allways to death for me, no matter how hard i tried.

There are btw a lot of ways to die (intoxicated by horses fart gazes, falling off a clif, burnt in a fire etc... )

I think LA post-SCUMM V1 way is the best by limiting or eliminating death, i hate to repeatedly die in an adventure because of a too twisted puzzle or bad timing/reflex...

Btw, IIRC monkey island 1 is the only monkey in wich you die (-at the canon screen- not counting false death of CMI) am i wrong ?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]An ant hill?

Now, see, dying in games because you did something completely ridiculous that would get you killed in real life--like, say, jumping off a cliff without an umbrella--I can understand (sort of). But an ant hill?[/quote]

dont worry i needed to play in that ant hill.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Yeah, pretty much dying sucks. I hate having to do things over again.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Yeah, pretty much dying sucks. I hate having to do things over again.[/quote]

Agreed. Generally, whenever the game gets put in an unwinnable state--either by dying or a puzzle having no reset button (yes, I have been playing Myst IV, why do you ask? ARGH!)--such that I end up having to revert to a savegame and doing certain things over again...that's generally when the game gets tossed out the nearest window.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Btw, IIRC monkey island 1 is the only monkey in wich you die (-at the canon screen- not counting false death of CMI) am i wrong ?[/quote]
    You are wrong. Kind of.

If you wait 10 mins during the second spit puzzle in Monkey 2 , Guybrush and Wally are killed and you are rewarded with an amusing sequence in which Elaine points out that Guybrush couldn't have died because he's right there talking to her.

Wow. I just wasted my first post by being a know-it-all. :(

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]

Remember how shocked you were at the end of the Sixth Sense when it turned out Bruce Willis was a robot?[/quote]

Woah woah woah, Bruce Willis was SO NOT a robot. Mother effer was dead.

Add Comment