User Avatar Image

Replay Games Kickstarter / KQ/SQ/LSL Rights

posted by jonathanfrisby on - last edited - Viewed by 951 users

Bit off topic, but someone from Replay Games mentioned trying to get the rights to King's Quest in their Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter comments. Also SPACE QUEST!

----
Replay Games about 1 hour ago
@Perdition - we're way ahead of you!! Scott is ready to jump on board, we already spoke to him. Mark, however, can't since he works for Foundation 9, a developer / publisher and he would have a "conflict of interest" as he put it. Having said that, however, the last game, Space Quest 6, was all Scott & Josh (no Mark Crowe involvement) so we think we can hold pretty true to the SQ franchise with those two geniuses on board. We're in the middle of negotiating the rights for King's Quest as well as Space Quest & Police Quest too. :) It all depends on the success of this first game, though.....everybody wants to see how much demand is out there.
----

Doesn't mean much.. Unless Telltale is passing on the franchise? They ought to jump on that before Replay gets the muppets back together!

104 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I guess.. I would rather see how the LSL game is.. I cant really say I am impressed with what Replay games have to offer right now.. all their games look like cheap mobile games that didn't take much to make.... Right now we have not seen much of the LSL game they have been making.. I did pledge $100 mainly because Al Lowe is involved.... I hope it does well so we eventually get a brand new Larry game.

• Agree, Irishmile. I'm quite leery about taking advantage of PC adventure gamers' love for old franchises and using the funds to make games targeted at the mobile device market. I thought I saw another one that just came out with the same kind of issue.

I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the idea of Kickstarter for remakes, either. Fan remakes, where you can feel the love and dedication put into them and money is not part of the equation, are far more appealing to me. And I thought the DF project was exciting in large part because it's about new IP created for the purpose; the investment is in the creative people who have proven track records (in adventures as well as gaming more generally) and structural resources for producing for PC/console.

With King's Quest, I'd have to guess they're talking about remakes there, too. At least I can't imagine Telltale wouldn't have gotten exclusivity for new, original titles. But who knows?

I was never a Larry fan anyway, so I'll pass on this one. I have to wonder whether he'll have the same appeal today as he did 20 years ago. To me, Freddy Pharkas was Al's best work. :D

• Ooooh I really liked Freddy Pharkas as well...

• I agree it'd be nice to see a new game in the series, rather than and old one.. But Sierra did always have a sort of business-like demeanor that might lead one to think "we ought to re-introduce everyone to the franchise" -- that seems to be the thinking here, which does seem wrong, considering it's fans that will make this happen.

But... Replay Games does have some strong claim to franchise, being made up of a bunch of Sierra people (regardless of the webgame crap they've made in the interim).. Check out their about page.

The best I can guess is they ran out of money in making the remake (they posted some comment about venture capital people fleeing after they acquired the LSL rights).. And it's also probably a good idea to run with what ideas they can while the Kickstarter thing is hot. Not the perfect DF-level scenario, but overall a good thing.

• @jonathanfrisby said: Bit off topic, but someone from Replay Games mentioned trying to get the rights to King's Quest in their Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter comments. Also SPACE QUEST!

THAT I would totally back. I have no interest in Leisure Suit Larry, however.

Doesn't mean much.. Unless Telltale is passing on the franchise? They ought to jump on that before Replay gets the muppets back together!

Telltale doesn't have the rights to King's Quest. They don't need to give them up. They only have a license to use it. ActiVision can give the licenses to whoever they want. At once.

@jonathanfrisby said: My biggest issue on the LSL Kickstarter thing is that Replay Games were ALREADY working on the LSL remakes. They had even announced, last Fall, that they were remaking the whole series in HD.

And now that they see the Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, and Takedown project succeed, they decide to launch a Kickstarter for LSL???

Yeah, right.

Asking people to fund a project you were developing anyway, really, Al?

That's a really narrow-minded point of view. They mentioned that nobody wanted to back their LSL project so they couldn't continue. Kickstarter was the only viable alternative to get it done.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Telltale doesn't have the rights to King's Quest. They don't need to give them up. They only have a license to use it. ActiVision can give the licenses to whoever they want. At once.

That depends on how TTG's licensing contract was written. Licensing very often involves some kind of exclusivity. Game developers generally wouldn't want to pay to license a property if the rightsholder could grant licenses to others who would put out competing products. Unless you have some cold, hard facts about the contract provisions, I have to suspect that Telltale does indeed have exclusive rights to make KQ games, at least new ones; remakes might be excepted.

@MusicallyInspired said: That's a really narrow-minded point of view. They mentioned that nobody wanted to back their LSL project so they couldn't continue. Kickstarter was the only viable alternative to get it done.

I think it begs the question, though, why did they announce a game before they had concrete plans and funding to make it? And now they're talking, speculatively, about other projects for which they don't even have rights! That borders on slimy AFAIC. I'm sorry, but this Replay company has utterly failed to gain my respect or confidence.

• I would have thought that the rights for Sierra's games would be with Activision Blizzard given the acquisition history of the company.

• Actually depend on the series, Activision sold some of them off. But they weren't clear on which ones.

LSL apparently changed hands, possibly before Activision.

Gold Rush changed hands. Probably before Activision.

The Realm changed hands before Activision.

No one knows the situation for Quest for Glory...

Add Comment