User Avatar Image

Mass Effect Thread

posted by WARP10CK on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users

WARNING SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT 3

Just finished Mass Effect 3 and was having a great time until the last 5 minutes of the game.

The ending you get is probably the most depressing ending and since this is mass effect that´s probably the bad ending right ?

Nope all the endings are almost identical no matter what you do and the outrage on biowares forums are huge.

I would not mind a sad ending but there is no explanation to what happened this is the gaming equivalent to the sopranos ending.

Nothing is really resolved and there is not even an epilogue.

Oh well just look at biowares forums then you know

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/355/index

359 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I finished the game yesterday.

...I liked the ending I got. I had a perfect Galactic Readiness rating though, and after reading about the other endings, I understand why people are upset. The galaxy was saved, the Normandy survived, and best of all, my Shepard lived. I got what I wanted.

• @DrRocketGenius said: I finished the game yesterday.

...I liked the ending I got. I had a perfect Galactic Readiness rating though, and after reading about the other endings, I understand why people are upset. The galaxy was saved, the Normandy survived, and best of all, my Shepard lived. I got what I wanted.

So, if Shep survived, you chose red.

So, you're fine with the geth and EDI dying because you killed all synthetics, you're fine with the Normandy randomly flying through a mass relay with people who had been in London aboard for no real reason, you're fine with Shepard just rolling over and accepting what the star child had to say, you're fine with having no final battle with Harbinger or at all, you're fine with all the fleets who fought to save the galaxy being trapped in Sol, you're fine with Shepard somehow waking up amidst the rubble of London despite having just been on the Citadel, you're fine with the fact that the Reapers let their one weakness go totally undefended after the beam that knocked you out, you're fine with the Illusive Man just getting aboard the Citadel...somehow, and you're fine with having been presented with three arbitrary choices that had nothing to do with what happened in the previous three games?

• The Illusive Man was stated to be on the Citadel before you even began your assault on Earth.

Though there is definitely a good point in there. What the heck was Joker doing going through a mass relay?

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

I wasn't particularly impressed with this article.

Game writers and designers work within the industry, so you'd hardly find someone who would actively criticize BioWare's efforts. So on the whole it's just plain "audience participation/ player feedback is so important" here, and "artistic integrity" there. So this article mostly explicitly tiptoes around the real issues. Well, of course the ending should not be changed "because the fans demand it". It should be changed because it's shitty!!

Chuck (Jordan, duh) uses a rather strange equalization between the present protest and movie focus group tests and arrives at the idea that the player should not be "given what he wants" all the time - something that, in my opinion, has scarcely anything to do with the topic at hand. This is all the more confusing because he is about the only one in this bunch of interviewed people who knows and speaks his mind about things that were really essentially wrong with Mass Effect 3:

@Chuck Jordan" said: Essentially, BioWare created the problem for themselves by, to be blunt, promising more than they or any other developer could deliver. They’ve sold the Mass Effect series on the premise that the player can completely customize his character and his character’s story—entire planets with complex storylines that some players will never even see! (And also sex with aliens). But even the largest team of writers and content creators won’t be able to deliver an indefinite number of conclusions that all have the same level of impact, satisfying enough to conclude a multi-year, multi-game epic series. People have been spending years trying to come up with a way to create systems that generate compelling narratives, and no one’s cracked the problem yet.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Also of importance: EA wins "worst American company" award, with the Bank of America coming in second. Of note is the individual way the award is to be presented to the company:

Oh well, Worst Company In America 2012 is officially in the books. All that's left to do is send off the Golden Poo to EA.

Traditionally, the Poo has been delivered on its little red pillow. But this year, we'll give EA three different color options for its pillow, though in the end it's still the same old Poo.

• Oh well, Worst Company In America 2012 is officially in the books. All that's left to do is send off the Golden Poo to EA.

Traditionally, the Poo has been delivered on its little red pillow. But this year, we'll give EA three different color options for its pillow, though in the end it's still the same old Poo.

priceless!

• Just a quote from YouTube:

[quote]People....it's a video game. Grow up[/quote]

To be honest, I would love to agree with this, I really do. But it just doesn't work when people can tollerate the outcry about the ending of a seven book saga of a Stephen King series, or a movie series about a virtual world where people are used as batteries or something.

Add Comment