User Avatar Image

When can we expect to see SOMETHING about Telltale's KQ?

posted by Blackthorne519 on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

I wonder when we'll see or hear something substantial about Tell-Tale's King's Quest game.

Bt

480 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Mor, the real villain in episode 5? Someone needs to introduce Mordred, Morgause and Morganna (Morgan Le Fey/Morgaine) into KQ :p, lol.

Actually I'd kinda blame KQ5 for introducing organized wizards and villains.

On one side you have the Society of Wizards. On the other the connection between Mordack, Manannan and the Vizier...

It also existed in the King's Quest Companion with its evil family idea and the Magician's Guild. I suppose that those ideas developed in part, pre-KQ5...

Still I think the fan games and fan stories over do it, when they incorporate every single villain the series has ever known! Way too much Legion of Doom, for my tastes.

• Of course it's overdone. But that's the point. It's fun. No harm done. It's not canon or anything. It was really neat for me personally when I first played KQ2+ back in 2002. I really enjoyed it and thought it was spectacular. 10 years later it stands the test of time as a great game and I still enjoy it.

But we've gone off topic again.

• However if Telltale does the same thing in their new game, I'll personally blame you, and then burn an effigy of you...

Oh and look for someone to sacrifice...To the almighty god Cthulhu...

• @BagginsKQ said:

On one side you have the Society of Wizards. On the other the connection between Mordack, Manannan and the Vizier...

I know where you're coming from but the Vizier really wasn't a Wizard. He just controlled a Genie which allowed him to use magic.

• I was talking about organizing good guys vs. bad guys. I.E. organizations of wizards and villains!

Not all who are organized are 'wizards'.

Society of Wizards is more of a 'good guy' organization, thus why Mordack was tossed out. Some fan fiction writers see it as kind of the Good Society that stands up to the Black Cloak Society.

The Vizier (who is connected to Mordack, and by proxy to Manannan in KQ5), as we learn in the next game KQ6, is a member of the Society of the Black Cloaks.

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Abdul_Alhazred

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Society of the Black Cloak

• @BagginsKQ said: Techie, the idea was serious, but pay attention to the narration. There are alot of break the fourth wall style humor in it. Very silly stuff... It was also the last of the games to play the narration as 'you as the character'. 2nd Person narration..., and later games pushed more towards more of a 3rd Person style of narration.

Look at some of the stuff said during the few conversations... Incuding the whole 'tattoo' remark, or the 'twincest' comments (milky white skin, sweeet cherry lips, bountiful assets, you'd kiss/date her if she wasn't your sister")!

For all intents and purposes the game has a relatively bright and cheery artstyle, and atmosphere throughout...

Baggins, I agree with you that KQ3 was very silly and lighthearted in areas. But Techie is also right to say it was very dark. Let's face, a wizard kidnapping babies, making slaves of them, and then murdering them on their 18th birthday is still pretty dark.

• Ya, and you really only get that story out of the manual! It's barely touched on in the game itself (in all but a single line of narration, if at all).

Even if you get the wizard to kill you in the game, its done in a kind of tongue and cheek 'Batman' sort of way (ZAP! Pow!Bzzt!). Even Manannan's punishments are 'cute'.

The chores? Even that is done in a humorous way, as we learn that Gwydion isn't actually very good at actually 'cleaning'. Sweeping dust under the rug, rather than actually sweeping it up and tossing it. The narrator pokes fun at that fact.

There is a certain level of 'danger' and foreboding to the game, set by the timer, and having to beat the clock to avoid manannan. But that's not quite the same thing as 'dark'.

While I agree the 'concept' in the story are dark, and there are some 'dark spots', it never really gets that dark in execution... Almost everything is filled with self-referential humor, and even the game's various deaths are played for laughs.

Now, I would say the introduction theme is certainly moody and sad! Although most of the music in the main game itself is pretty generic, quite a bit of stock 'happy' music... Some are childhood hits like Teddy Bear's Picnic, IIRC....

That being said Roberta did consider it to be one of her darkest KQ games. She may have even argued it was darker than KQ8.

• @BagginsKQ said: I was talking about organizing good guys vs. bad guys. I.E. organizations of wizards and villains!

Not all who are organized are 'wizards'.

Society of Wizards is more of a 'good guy' organization, thus why Mordack was tossed out. Some fan fiction writers see it as kind of the Good Society that stands up to the Black Cloak Society.

The Vizier (who is connected to Mordack, and by proxy to Manannan in KQ5), as we learn in the next game KQ6, is a member of the Society of the Black Cloaks.

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Abdul_Alhazred

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Society of the Black Cloak

I hate the whole organized villain society found in the KQ series despite that QfG, a game I love, technically does it as well. However, with QFG, I think it is executed better; rather than an organization of evil wizards, it is a wizard (Ad Advis) who tends to be somehow involved in most of the QFG games (direct involvement in tof and sod, but an indirect involvement in QG3)

• I'm less annoyed at the "organized villain society" thing (a la AGDI; I do not include TSL and refuse to play it) but what I find myself more annoyed at is the blaming of the fan games' story embellishments on a few off-hand and (plot-wise) entirely unimportant mentions in one of the canon games.

Add Comment