User Avatar Image

When can we expect to see SOMETHING about Telltale's KQ?

posted by Blackthorne519 on - last edited - Viewed by 3K users

I wonder when we'll see or hear something substantial about Tell-Tale's King's Quest game.

Bt

480 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Although this is unlikely, but I would love to see TT do a remake of Kq1 through 4. I want to see them being remade with a more in-depth storyline, but at the same time, have ties to other myths and fairytales like the old games. I would imagine the opening of a KQ1 remake opening up like one of those fairytale cartoons where it starts with a book opening up and the narrator saying "Once upon a time.." we then see Graham on horseback rushing to the castle to meet his dying king. The ailing king then tells Garaham to find the three treasures. One reason or another Graham has no shield and sword (maybe Graham has just came home from an ongoing war, and his weapons are all battered and worn.)

IMO, I think the kQ games (especially the older titles) should be done with a balance between a serious and humorou atmospheres. I don't think a really serious and dark Kq game, if heavily refers to the kq1-3 games) would work.

• @Chyron8472 said:

Would you shut up about this? KQ6 did not "open the door" for the plot devices the fan-games made. The Society of the Black Cloak was only given one mention in that game, and it was only on an inventory item that showed proof that Cassima was in danger. That's it. If you hate the fan games, then you do. Now, stop bitching about KQ6, and start talking about something productive toward making TTG's game better (as blueskirt suggested.)

I somewhat agree with you there because fanfiction, no matter what franchise it is based on, tends to ship (romantically pair up) characters together or introduce some sort of family connection. I am no English professor, but I think fanfic authors do this as a means to link one character, whether he/she is a fan made character or not, to the overall story universe. Ppl love making or reading connections.

I do think, however, that the mentioning of the Black Cloak society in one of the KQ6 cutscenes did "open a door" for the evil wizard organization plot devices found in KQ fan fiction. While the mentioning of the Black Cloak society is brief in the game, it is one of the most talked about subjects in the KQ community.

• The Black Cloak Society is mentioned several times in KQ6 as such;

1. During the oracle prophecy. Somewhat cryptically.

2. During Alhazred's letter to Shadrack, you eavesdrop on.

3. On a letter discovered written by Shadrack, contains several mentions, and related correspondence going back several months to years in the chest.

4. A bunch of black cloaks are seen in Alhazred's closet/armoir, and on a hook in his study.

5. The Genie wears the black cloaks at least two of his guises, one of the more important of these guises as the evil old man that spies on you in the shops in town, and in which you trick into thinking Alexander died.

6. Indirectly, both Cassima and Saladin comment on the letter. The letter can also be clicked on a couple of other characters for some 'narrative' comments as well in the end game, IIRC as well.

There might be a reference, albeit somewhat more indirectly when you speak to the ghosts of the king and queen.

In no way did that mentions connect all the baddies from the entire series... At the most it connected Shadrack, Abdul Alhazred, the Genie, and Mordack.

KQ5 connected Mordack, Manannan and the Vizier, but not necessarily to the Black Cloaks. KQ5 only briefly discussed Vizier and Mordack's plans for Cassima.

In no way did KQ6 imply that Shadrack was the leader of the Black Cloaks. The actual hiearchy is not really known.

So while the fan games and other fan fiction 'went' off of these references... They actually embellished on the reference way beyond anything the canon games did themselves... By basically pulling in every one from Hagatha, Manannan, Lolotte and Malicia. In some cases Dahlia, and Lucreto into the membership of the Black Cloaks... and/or creating new members or leaders, I.E. Caldaur and Morgeillen, Valanice, Alexander and Pandora. These aren't just embellishments but the basis for entire central plot lines in the fan stories... The funny thing is that fan interpretations of the Black Cloaks all share much of the same ideas in alot of ways... Usually some prophecy tied to the black cloaks and the royal family through its lineage... Sometimes these prophecies are 1000 years in the making... They both concern or usually concern some ancient artifact that villains are after, that will give them ultimate power... They both involve some plot line of the Black Cloaks manipulating the magic mirror to draw Graham to Kolyma in order to manipulate his life...

Scratch that its really the plot line of saturday morning cartoons, the Scooby Doo/Superfriends, 'Legion of Doom' type plots... All pretty cliched... That's not to say even the canon games are filled with cliches themselves (they are based directly off fairy tales are they not?)... But sometimes it seems the fan stories are even more so...

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Cloak_Society_(unofficial)

• @BagginsKQ said: The Black Cloak Society is mentioned several times in KQ6 as such;

1. During the oracle prophecy. Somewhat cryptically.

2. During Alhazred's letter to Shadrack, you eavesdrop on.

3. On a letter discovered written by Shadrack, contains several mentions, and related correspondence going back several months to years in the chest.

4. A bunch of black cloaks are seen in Alhazred's closet/armoir, and on a hook in his study.

5. The Genie wears the black cloaks at least two of his guises, one of the more important of these guises as the evil old man that spies on you in the shops in town, and in which you trick into thinking Alexander died.

6. Indirectly, both Cassima and Saladin comment on the letter. The letter can also be clicked on a couple of other characters for some 'narrative' comments as well in the end game, IIRC as well.

There might be a reference, albeit somewhat more indirectly when you speak to the ghosts of the king and queen.

In no way did that mentions connect all the baddies from the entire series... At the most it connected Shadrack, Abdul Alhazred, the Genie, and Mordack.

KQ5 connected Mordack, Manannan and the Vizier, but not necessarily to the Black Cloaks. KQ5 only briefly discussed Vizier and Mordack's plans for Cassima.

In no way did KQ6 imply that Shadrack was the leader of the Black Cloaks. The actual hiearchy is not really known.

So while the fan games and other fan fiction 'went' off of these references... They actually embellished on the reference way beyond anything the canon games did themselves... By basically pulling in every one from Hagatha, Manannan, Lolotte and Malicia. In some cases Dahlia, and Lucreto into the membership of the Black Cloaks... and/or creating new members or leaders, I.E. Caldaur and Morgeillen, Valanice, Alexander and Pandora. These aren't just embellishments but the basis for entire central plot lines in the fan stories... The funny thing is that fan interpretations of the Black Cloaks all share much of the same ideas in alot of ways... Usually some prophecy tied to the black cloaks and the royal family through its lineage... Sometimes these prophecies are 1000 years in the making... They both concern or usually concern some ancient artifact that villains are after, that will give them ultimate power... They both involve some plot line of the Black Cloaks manipulating the magic mirror to draw Graham to Kolyma in order to manipulate his life...

Scratch that its really the plot line of saturday morning cartoons, the Scooby Doo/Superfriends, 'Legion of Doom' type plots... All pretty cliched... That's not to say even the canon games are filled with cliches themselves (they are based directly off fairy tales are they not?)... But sometimes it seems the fan stories are even more so....

http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Cloak_Society_(unofficial)

Thanks for the detailed comment.

When I was younger, I thought the Black Cloak Society was a neat addition. However, when I have gotten older, it seems too cliche (like you said.). I think the problem with the Black Cloak Society subplot is that it is left unanswered. There was so much build up in KQ6 that one would expect there would be some mention of it. If Jansen was allowed to do the later KQ games, I am sure she would pull off the Black Cloak Society plot nicely. If one thinks about it, games like Broken Sword(Neo Templars) and books (Harry Potter) with an evil organization are written well. I think how the fanfic handles the cloaks tied up to the Daventry lineage and having every villain tied to the society is what killed it for me. Like the secret of MI is to the creator of MI, I think the Black Cloak Society should only be handled by Jansen.

• I read about the Black Cloak Society on the KQ wiki, and IMO, it appears that the Society is just a society where Evil Wizards hang out and share their evil plans with over chess - That would be an interesting take on the society -I would love to see the society handled that way in a canon game

• I always felt Shadrack should appear in an official game. He is a loose end. But he should be fairly stand alone villain. Much in the way for the most part villains were stand alone in each game of the series. If there are other black cloaks in the game they should be original villains. I'd rather see black cloaks as something of its own entity.

That is to say, most villains in previous KQ games except for those already confirmed in KQ6 and possibly KQ5 (Roberta had said Manannan may possibly be a member), have nothing to do with the organization. Please.

Maybe toss in a bit of a classic mystery style story. So a kind of investigation is required. Shade doesn't necessarily have to be the leader (he probably isn't), he could just be another cultist in the ranks.

Ultimately the game ends with the destruction of the cult, or at least sets up for the hunt of the real leader in a later game.

I personally wouldn't mind Jane Jensen coming back to help with the ideas, or get it closer to the ideas as she originally envisioned. Unless her idea was for full series Legion of Doom, then I'd rather she stay away, as that's way too predictable.

I'd equally be fine (and prefer) with the ideas of stopping Shadrack in the confines of a standard KQ plot, just another wizard with a plan to take/over conquer a new land. The story could have very little information on the black cloaks except for a few cryptic references. Maybe explain a few more things but still leave the organization fairly open ended. While still avoiding the Legion of Doom cliche.

I read about the Black Cloak Society on the KQ wiki, and IMO, it appears that the Society is just a society where Evil Wizards hang out and share their evil plans with over chess - That would be an interesting take on the society -I would love to see the society handled that way in a canon game

LOL, just a mere men's club, with no nefarious plans to conquer the entire world. Just individual wizards and magicians concerned with their own lands to conquer ;). Maybe they don't just play chess, a little 'dice' (Alhazred has a pair of ivory dice in his belongings), some blackjack, backgammon, checkers, othello, cribbage... etc! That would be so ironically funny

Btw, i've expanded the informationon the canonical Society of the Black Cloak, within the article on the KQ wiki. I've added more information from the games and KQ companion. The new information added a discussion of hiearchy and modes of communication, as well as the correspondence between Shadrack and Alhazred.

• Oh, and btw, "The Father". Roberta Williams came up or used the concept of The Father before AGDI did... In her games, Lucreto is referred to as The Father.

Obviously AGDI's 'The Father', has no connection. It's also not very original, Roberta beat them to it!

• @BagginsKQ said: I always felt Shadrack should appear in an official game. He is a loose end. But he should be fairly stand alone villain. Much in the way for the most part villains were stand alone in each game of the series. If there are other black cloaks in the game they should be original villains. I'd rather see black cloaks as something of its own entity.

That is to say, most villains in previous KQ games except for those already confirmed in KQ6 and possibly KQ5 (Roberta had said Manannan may possibly be a member), have nothing to do with the organization. Please.

Maybe toss in a bit of a classic mystery style story. So a kind of investigation is required. Shade doesn't necessarily have to be the leader (he probably isn't), he could just be another cultist in the ranks.

Ultimately the game ends with the destruction of the cult, or at least sets up for the hunt of the real leader in a later game.

I personally wouldn't mind Jane Jensen coming back to help with the ideas, or get it closer to the ideas as she originally envisioned. Unless her idea was for full series Legion of Doom, then I'd rather she stay away, as that's way too predictable.

I'd equally be fine (and prefer) with the ideas of stopping Shadrack in the confines of a standard KQ plot, just another wizard with a plan to take/over conquer a new land. The story could have very little information on the black cloaks except for a few cryptic references. Maybe explain a few more things but still leave the organization fairly open ended. While still avoiding the Legion of Doom cliche.

LOL, just a mere men's club, with no nefarious plans to conquer the entire world. Just individual wizards and magicians concerned with their own lands to conquer ;). Maybe they don't just play chess, a little 'dice' (Alhazred has a pair of ivory dice in his belongings), some blackjack, backgammon, checkers, othello, cribbage... etc! That would be so ironically funny

Btw, i've expanded the informationon the canonical Society of the Black Cloak, within the article on the KQ wiki. I've added more information from the games and KQ companion. The new information added a discussion of hiearchy and modes of communication, as well as the correspondence between Shadrack and Alhazred.

Haha it is funny, yet i wouldn't be surprised if Jansen was heading in that direction. From reading the letters posted on the wiki site, it sounds as if Alhazred is merely giving Shadrack updated progress on his attempt in taking over the Crown. Being an evil wizard must be lonely, so having a club where other wizards share their evil plot with one another would be beneficial for them. It sure beats sharing the evil plot to the enemy before his/her demise. I think IA's version of KQ3 has Manannan visiting his brother to play chess and to talk about the Dragon.

I would love to see a canonical or a fan fiction game to depict the society as just social club. It would certainly be better than an evil organization with some grudge to the Daventry lineage. Prehaps having a fan game where Shadrack is writing letters to cat Manannan or to Alhazred. If the latter, the letters could be about Shadrack hearing of Alhazred's imprisonment. The letters could also imply that Shadrack is taking care of cat Manannan as a dying wish from Mordok. For instance, the letter could be something to the likes of "Dear Alhazred, I am sorry that your plans in taking over the Isles didn't go as planned. Cheer up! It is rare for anyone in our society to successfully take over a kingdom. At least you weren't turned into a cat like Manannan.

Speaking of Manannan, Mordok left me as sole guardian of his brother in his will. I am not too fond of removing fur from my furniture on a daily basis, but at least now I have a friend to talk to.

Have faith, brother of the cloak. I will come up with a plan to break you out of prison.

Your brother of the cloak,
    Shade"

• What about a satirical adventure game where you play as a lonely and lowly new initiate member of the club? Just starting to try to develop your own plan to conquer a kingdom? But what ends up happening, is you end up helping everyone else (the other members) with their plans instead! Just to get a little advice from them!

Wizard's Quest I: Rise of the Black Cloak!

The sequel could actually lead to your character finally having enough information to put his own plan into fruition!

• @BagginsKQ said: What about a satirical adventure game where you play as a lonely and lowly new initiate member of the club? Just starting to try to develop your own plan to conquer a kingdom? But what ends up happening, is you end up helping everyone else (the other members) with their plans instead! Just to get a little advice from them!

Wizard's Quest I: Rise of the Black Cloak!

The sequel could actually lead to your character finally having enough information to put his own plan into fruition!

Haha. That would be funny! We(as in the tt forum community) should make that game! We can even avoid all the copyright mumble jumbo by not mentioning any of the existing wizards by name. For example, Mananann can be Manny and Shadrack can be referred to his nickname "Shade."

The end twist could be that the main protagonist is really a long lost member of the Royal family. Haha.

Add Comment