User Avatar Image

Mass Effect Thread

posted by WARP10CK on - last edited - Viewed by 3K users

WARNING SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT 3

Just finished Mass Effect 3 and was having a great time until the last 5 minutes of the game.

The ending you get is probably the most depressing ending and since this is mass effect that´s probably the bad ending right ?

Nope all the endings are almost identical no matter what you do and the outrage on biowares forums are huge.

I would not mind a sad ending but there is no explanation to what happened this is the gaming equivalent to the sopranos ending.

Nothing is really resolved and there is not even an epilogue.

Oh well just look at biowares forums then you know

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/355/index

359 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@The Gentleman said: Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut

That's my viewpoint.

Yup, I think so too. There's a four million dollar ending missing to this series, and I'd be surprised if EA will even spend a few thousands to quieten the outrage.

• I feel that this is a pretty good solution to their ending problem. And I think that what people really wanted was to show how their choices throughout the game mattered, even if it was the same ending. I mean, in the first game you pretty much got the same ending no matter what you did with only a few extra decorations tacked on, and in the second game, while characters could die, it basically boiled down to two choices in the end anyways.

Either way, though, I don't think more explanation of the ending could really hurt all that much.

• So I witnessed the ending first hand yesterday as my best friend completed it when I was over there.

And it still sucks.

It doesn't gel. My best friend was actually a little upset, not with the choice, but with the fact that the relays exploding would doom most of the galaxy if not obliterate them completely, and he chose destroy because "it didn't matter anyway since the relays are going to explode anyway, and everyone is probably going to die. At least this way the reaper threat will be zero chance of survival".

It still doesn't make any sense how Anderson or The Illusive man actually managed to get to the console when there was no signs of alternate routes to that area.

It still doesn't make sense how Joker & Co. survived.

There is no sort of final boss or virtually impossible challenge.

Its just a bleak, unsatisying ending thats poorly written, and no clarification is going to help that.

But I guess if you already have the game, this booby prize might make things a bit better.

Needless to say I am not going to buy Mass Effect 3.

(I'll still play 1 and 2 though, but I'll just imagine my own version of 3, (or buy it cheap and play it till the last part, then stop and play out my version in my head! XD))

EDIT: It was so bad, we actually started joking about the "indoctrination theory" all night. Applying it to every game we played (e.g. Toejam and Earl 3, The earthlings are being indoctrinated by the protagonists. Their physical appearance changes when they get "funkified" and their brains are altered into helping the aliens)
    We were basically shouting "X is indoctrinated" "INDOCTRINATION!!" at everything. XD

• @Darth Marsden said: But expanding upon the existing ending is all it'll be.

Eh, better this than nothing, I suppose. And at least it'll be free.

Exactly as it should be.

• @DAISHI said: Exactly as it should be.

Absolutely. Imagine the uproar if it weren't.

• *sigh* You know, if you hate the ending so much guys, you could always write a fan-fic version where everything ends up happily ever after.

BTW, free DLC incoming next week in the form of two multiplayer maps, some new multiplayer characters, 3 new weapons.

• @Shadowknight1 said: *sigh* You know, if you hate the ending so much guys, you could always write a fan-fic version where everything ends up happily ever after.

BTW, free DLC incoming next week in the form of two multiplayer maps, some new multiplayer characters, 3 new weapons.

Jesus, people will never learn.

It's not about the ending, it's about the fact that the choices you make don't give the variation it should be.

If I were to write a fanfic describing my ending, I would have made it a "Make Your Own Adventure" style, because THAT is the ending people want. Not ONE ending. Multiple. Or at least variation.

I mean, the very first Fallout gave us variations during the ending sequence. Sure, in the end it didn't really matter all that much because the ending was mostly the same, but still, variations. That's all people really care for. Is that a bit too much to ask?

Apparently it was, because they had to create a patch to finally get it right.

• @GaryCXJk said: Jesus, people will never learn.

It's not about the ending, it's about the fact that the choices you make don't give the variation it should be.

And this quote here is exactly what's wrong with the entire situation. To expect any game company to be able to account for every choice is impossible. I've said it before, and it's just as true now as it was then, and since no one seemed to acknowledge the sentiment, I must assume that you're all blind. It wouldn't have mattered what Bioware did with the ending. There was no way to please anybody with Mass Effect 3's ending. Plain and simple, it would have been impossible.

Frankly, I'm alright with the ending. I've seen far worse endings in games, movies, and tv shows.

• @Shadowknight1 said: There was no way to please anybody with Mass Effect 3's ending. Plain and simple, it would have been impossible.

Right. But then going "fuck it let's make an ending that insults our players" was where they went wrong.

Add Comment