User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 14K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@KuroShiro said: These things are coming fast... A new Kickstarter that is close to my heart has just started today: Shadowrun Returns.

It is a oldschool RPG based on the oh-so-awesome Shadowrun game system. Even if you have no idea what that is, give the pitch video a watch, it is very well done. It will also come with a level editor if you're into that sort of thing.

Judging from the video updates, it's an X-Com perspective thingie with seriously enhanced roleplay/conversation part.

And they implemented PayPal backing. Wise guys. Seriously, wise guys. Ze finanshel power of ze credit card less Germans iz not to be underestimated. Lets see if Tim's jaw might still hit earth.

...they'll get my money. ;)

• @Gman5852 said: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterkewlgames/yogventures

Yes, an official Yogscast video game.

I think this is where I draw the line with my kickstarter funding... No offence to Yogcast or anything.

• Should anyone here be a fan of Titan Quest, the guys behind it have a Kickstarter up for their spiritual successor, Grim Dawn. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

For those unfamiliar, it's the same genre as Diablo.

• Anyone who's a fan of, y'know, ANYTHING, should back Boot Hill Heroes, which is basically Earthbound set in the Wild West. With 4 player co-op.

...what part of that does not sound awesome?

• @Darth Marsden said: ...what part of that does not sound awesome?

1. The title
    2. Basically Earthbound
    3. Wild West
    4. 4 player co-op oriented

• @SHODANFreeman said: Should anyone here be a fan of Titan Quest, the guys behind it have a Kickstarter up for their spiritual successor, Grim Dawn. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

For those unfamiliar, it's the same genre as Diablo.

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll support them. From the look of their vid they've got a good basis down and an interesting not-quite-standard setting. And if they're lucky they might get some inflow from people who think D3 is getting too drm-laden.

• Why has no one mentioned this one? It looks pretty amazing to me.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

"Shadowrun Returns" is coming along fine, might even hit 1.5 in the remaining eight days. It will hardly beat Tim's project, but then again, the kickstarter page doesn't even display the PayPal backers, and that's where I put my money on (literally also ;) ).

I'm not sure if these guys already know where they're going with this. As of yet, I think they're pushed into the right direction by some fans (the "special mission only available to backers" bullshit is already half-revoked, for example).

I like a good turn-based "RPG" shooter, but of course a strong story, multiple-choice dialog and Mass Effect-style "decisions" make a game sincerely interesting to me. It will be quite a challenge to incorporate those into a 2D X-Com-like game. The second main area of "how will they do it?" is characterization in the story. If you can customize your character AND his/her team too much, character-specific dialog and character-driven story, let alone a detailed/individual display of the main character's face in dialog scenes is hardly possible. Well, we'll see.

They will put up a website and forum (not financed with backer money). That will be quite crowded, I'd assume. It will be interesting to see whether I can get my voice in somehow or if a single look into those thousands of loud voices makes me back off immediately.

• @TomPravetz said: Why has no one mentioned this one? It looks pretty amazing to me.

Awesome! It's about time. I've always wanted a free roaming, sandbox zombie-apocalypse game. I know that there's Dead Island but I was put off by the atrocious voice acting! I hope that this game does a better job on that front.

Also, there had better be a shopping mall somewhere in the randomly generated world, so that I can recreate the events of George A Romero's Dawn of the Dead.

Add Comment