User Avatar Image

Theology

posted by kaptein_kaffe on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

Discussing religion is generally a very bad idea on the internet, but there are a lot of down to earth and rational people on this forum so I decided to give it a go.

I want to hear your beliefs. Also, try to keep an open mind and show respect to other people's opinions. I don't care weather you're a fanatic catholic, fanatic atheist or whatever. Arguing about "who's right" is just a terrible cliche.

Personally I believe that there is a god. I'm not agnostic, I believe in god, but that's just my own spiritual reflection on it. I don't judge other religions and say that "this is right", it's more along the lines of Baruch de Spinoza's take on it where you see god as everything. Maybe there's a word for what that is, I don't know. I prefer to look at everything that is beyond our understanding with humility. Most of my religious knowledge lies within catholicism and I generally agree with the ten commandments, but I also believe that the religion is blurred for the sake of politics, ways of maintaining order and fanatic influences (edit: + things that are lost in translation). In short, I'm a read between the lines kind of guy.

My knowledge on the subject is limited, so it's possible that I won't be able to keep up with the discussion. I'd just like to hear your views :)

305 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @coolsome said: You should have been past out for three days.

That risk was actually potent.

• I don't subscribe to any one particular religion, I just follow a lot of the values and ideas of different religions, such as heaven, hell, karma, kindness, generosity, honesty, etc.

I don't believe in the organization of religion. There are just too many differing interpreted ideologies for any particular person to follow a certain religion 100% without any sort of doubt. Let's face it, the only way you'd be completely satisfied in following a religion is starting your own. I have neither the time or patience to do that, so I choose to remain unaffiliated.

• @StrongBrush1 said: I don't subscribe to any one particular religion, I just follow a lot of the values and ideas of different religions, such as heaven, hell, karma, kindness, generosity, honesty, etc.

I don't believe in the organization of religion. There are just too many differing interpreted ideologies for any particular person to follow a certain religion 100% without any sort of doubt. Let's face it, the only way you'd be completely satisfied in following a religion is starting your own. I have neither the time or patience to do that, so I choose to remain unaffiliated.

Following all or none are morally equivalent if they're all false.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I'm a firm believer of Universal Life Church's philosophy that all religious beliefs are equal and that the only thing that matters is that you do that which is right.

As a bonus, every member of the church is a minister, so I have the ability to perform marriage ceremonies if I so desire. :)

• I belong to the religious order of The Silence.

• @Jennifer said: I'm a firm believer of Universal Life Church's philosophy that all religious beliefs are equal and that the only thing that matters is that you do that which is right.

As a bonus, every member of the church is a minister, so I have the ability to perform marriage ceremonies if I so desire. :)

What is 'right' ?

• I've always believed that religion isn't important.

Its HOW you live your life that matters. Actions speak louder than words.

If there was a God, and therefore an afterlife of some sort, then if he decided that an individual wasn't worthy of their "reward" due to them not following a specific template despite being a good person, then he is a dick, and doesn't deserve to be in that position of power.

• @RetroVortex said: I've always believed that religion isn't important.

Its HOW you live your life that matters. Actions speak louder than words.

If there was a God, and therefore an afterlife of some sort, then if he decided that an individual wasn't worthy of their "reward" due to them not following a specific template despite being a good person, then he is a dick, and doesn't deserve to be in that position of power.

What is a good person?

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@DAISHI said: What is 'right' ?

The opposite of left. ;)

Of course what is right has different meanings for different cultures, so of course you are expected to follow the laws and cultures of the area you live in or are visiting. The big thing I like about the ULC's message is that people should accept and respect everyone's differences since we're all children of the same universe.

I might add though, it also means accepting changes in culture as well (we're not all stuck in a caste system any more, for example), so while we should accept people's differences, we also have to accept that time inevitably changes things.

• @DAISHI said: What is a good person?

I think the whole "do unto others" and "love thy neighbor as thyself" bits are pretty good starting points. Too many religions add on caveats to these like: unless they're gay, another religion/atheist, or a different race. I think that's silly.

The real problems come when you get to the tough decisions of deciding the right between two ambiguous things. Or things that some people find ambiguous and others find remarkably straightforward.

Add Comment