User Avatar Image

When can we expect to see SOMETHING about Telltale's KQ?

posted by Blackthorne519 on - last edited - Viewed by 4K users

I wonder when we'll see or hear something substantial about Tell-Tale's King's Quest game.

Bt

480 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • KQ1 remake is a smaller game than KQ5. It has more dialogue than the original, but less than KQ5 in general.

Both have less than KQ6.

KQ4 and earlier KQ titles have even less narrative.

• @BagginsKQ said: KQ1 remake is a smaller game than KQ5. It has more dialogue than the original, but less than KQ5 in general.

Both have less than KQ6.

KQ4 and earlier KQ titles have even less narrative.

The increased narration is a perk of KQ6. KQ5's world was more wider and more interesting and I'd have enjoyed more narrative boxes describing it.

• I would have liked more detailed narrative in KQ5 in places as well... Like ability to get a description of the little village the Roc takes you over etc...

• @Anakin Skywalker said: I consider the narrator a bonus, and as graphics were becoming more and more detailed, a narrator was becoming vestigial. I mean in 1984 when "graphics" were simple pixels, a narrator was a necessity because it gave you an idea of what these tiny pixels were supposed to be. But in 1994 when they were using SVGA graphics, a narrator really wasn't necessary and probably seemed a bit archaic.

I think the use of a narrator (along with the lack of action) would turn off potential new players who are used to modern games.

If by narrator you mean a voice distinct from the character you're playing, I would agree. But I think one or the other is usually necessary to give feedback and other information, not always straight-up descriptions but just to add to the game's atmosphere, no matter how "modern" the game is. In fact I believe the idea of the voiceless protagonist works well in some cases, eg. Myst, but was adopted too widely for the good of the genre, as if there was some rule that the playable character in a first-person perspective game had to be silent. A good example is Sierra's Lighthouse, a game in which there is no pretense that you're playing yourself or a purposefully anonymous person -- I think it would have been a much better game if the character was speaking throughout. I guess I played too many Myst-clones I thought would have been a little less boring if I'd just had someone to talk to, LOL.

• @thom-22 said: If by narrator you mean a voice distinct from the character you're playing, I would agree. But I think one or the other is usually necessary to give feedback and other information, not always straight-up descriptions but just to add to the game's atmosphere, no matter how "modern" the game is. In fact I believe the idea of the voiceless protagonist works well in some cases, eg. Myst, but was adopted too widely for the good of the genre, as if there was some rule that the playable character in a first-person perspective game had to be silent. A good example is Sierra's Lighthouse, a game in which there is no pretense that you're playing yourself or a purposefully anonymous person -- I think it would have been a much better game if the character was speaking throughout. I guess I played too many Myst-clones I thought would have been a little less boring if I'd just had someone to talk to, LOL.

I suppose narration would work (in a modern game) if done differently. For example instead of a simple description of whatever you're looking at, IE, "Nestled among the woods sits the wizard Crispin's little house", it could be a description sort of from the character's POV--The character's take on what he/she is seeing, IE "Graham thinks that the wizard Crispin's house, while not a castle, is a charming, inviting little cottage." Something like that albeit better written.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: I suppose narration would work (in a modern game) if done differently. For example instead of a simple description of whatever you're looking at, IE, "Nestled among the woods sits the wizard Crispin's little house", it could be a description sort of from the character's POV--The character's take on what he/she is seeing, IE "Graham thinks that the wizard Crispin's house, while not a castle, is a charming, inviting little cottage." Something like that albeit better written.

Then we could get a nice description of how badly Graham really wants to beat Cedric to death.

EDIT: Ooh. I have another idea. KQ5, narrated by Cedric! :D

• Cedric often acted as the narrator in KQ5... He was the one who did the general room descriptions in many of the screens he was on (whereas when you left to places he wouldn't follow, the narrator would take up those descriptions instead)...

Some of those include the 'It's a poisonous snake"...

Poisonoussnake.jpgsort of from the character's POV--The character's take on what he/she is seeing, IE "Graham thinks that the wizard Crispin's house, while not a castle, is a charming, inviting little cottage." Something like that albeit better written.

That's basically how the original King's Quest games did it, especially the first 3 (although it was more 'you think that blah blah'). Some of the ones in KQ5 (Graham thinks of his missing family as he stares at the little blue bird, blah blah) are also from that perspective...

Actually that's one of the reasons why I wanted KQ7 to have narration, just to give the player more insight from character's perspectives on what they thought they were seeing... You were stuck with just hotspots on what the characters 'found interesting', and that they offer a hint or clue that something else was needed...

Even Connor, tended to offer even more detailed descriptions of things that he saw, than the "I find this interesting' style comments that were all too common in KQ7... Not to mention if you turn on cheats, you could basically get a short description of nearly every item, character, place in the game!

Also narration often gives more insight into the culture, history, and other things in the lands... Without that it makes the story somewhat more dry... Especially if you want to know a little more about what you are seeing... Yes, it might be in greater hi-res detail, and I know what I'm seeing... But what else can we learn from it about local customs, history, etc.

Has anyone played Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney series? Even that series while looking at things is optional (other than finding evidence), you can look at almost everything in the 'investigation' sequences in the game... There is often some interesting thoughts on what is seen.

• So Replay Games is talking about how they want to do King's Quest titles. Does ANYONE at Telltale know anything about this? If the game is canceled let us know! It's been so long! :-(

• I hope we'll see something soon, now that Walking Dead is officially out.

• It maybe after Fables? That game is supposed to be released in Q3 2012.

Add Comment