User Avatar Image

The Backloggery Thread

posted by RetroVortex on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

So I see several people like myself have a huge library of unfinished games.

And I KNOW we talk about it all the time.

So why not have these kind of discussions in its own thread.

Therefore, The Backloggery Thread was born.

Here's my Backloggery:

http://backloggery.com/retrovortex

As of the 11/11/11 its already quite outdated, I have over 500 games to beat now.
(I need to go back and update it soon)

As you can see, since I started my backloggery in July, I have beaten just 2 games:

Megaman X
Mario's Picross

I also completed Cave Story in September, but its not on the backloggery.

So thats 3. 3 games.

This. Is. Going. To. Be. Impossible!!

I mean look at the games I have on there.

I have BOTH Ghouls 'n' Ghosts AND Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts to beat.

And I can't even get past the first few levels of those! :X

But lets not get too defeatist. There is still time.

Anyone got any recommendations on what to play? I have difficulty deciding these days...

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Because I use it more as a "games I'm in the middle of" list than a "playing at this exact moment" list. It sort of gives me some incentive to get back to those games.

• Ah. Well, I'm technically in the middle of BIT.TRIP RUNNER, but I haven't played it in weeks.

• I have one more game to run through and then Assasins Creed is all caught up.

• @Chyron8472 said: I always activate the Steam keys for HIB games I get, so I put Steam as the system (PC as the original system) for those, and PC as the system for those that don't have Steam keys.

That is to say, I don't use Desura so I don't use that label for any Indie Gala games.

EDIT (after next post): I do also put the name of the Bundle as the compilation. I think I started doing that after I noticed Guru did.

Thanks. That sounds like a good idea. I might use two entries for the few games I've played on several systems, like Osmos HD, which I've played both on linux and Android. As long as the bundle is listed, it will be easy enough to look them up if I want to find and install the games again.

• Much like Guru, I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all my games. And so far, I've counted the number of games I own as 1111. I've more than that, but I don't feel like updating the list, for some reason.

Anyone know how to get Excel to only count cells that are a certain colour? Be handy to have it automatically count how many I've finished rather than have to do it by hand.

• @Darth Marsden said: Anyone know how to get Excel to only count cells that are a certain colour? Be handy to have it automatically count how many I've finished rather than have to do it by hand.

I have a bit of an idea how to achieve something like that, but it's a little tricky without knowing how you have your sheet laid out, what statistics you're looking to get out of it, and whether or not any of the solutions I know will fit with your layout or if you'd be willing to change your layout to accommodate what I know how to do.

I could talk at length about my sheet and how I've accomplished something very similar to this, but unless you want to hear the whole thing, then ask me any specific questions you still have or about how to apply it to what you want, it might be more efficient for you to accept my friend request on Steam, then shoot me a PM if I'm not on (since I don't get on Steam regularly), then we can talk about it.

Or you could just post a screenshot of your sheet here and I can try to figure out something.

Oh, and my sheet hasn't been updated in a while for the same reason. :D

• @Darth Marsden said: Anyone know how to get Excel to only count cells that are a certain colour? Be handy to have it automatically count how many I've finished rather than have to do it by hand.

@Darth Marsden said: I have a bit of an idea how to achieve something like that, but it's a little tricky without knowing how you have your sheet laid out, what statistics you're looking to get out of it, and whether or not any of the solutions I know will fit with your layout or if you'd be willing to change your layout to accommodate what I know how to do.

If you can't figure it out stackoverflow.com is a very good resource for anything remotely programming related.

• Made a new Backloggery.
    My god are those many Steam games...

• @GuruGuru214 said: I have a bit of an idea how to achieve something like that, but it's a little tricky without knowing how you have your sheet laid out, what statistics you're looking to get out of it, and whether or not any of the solutions I know will fit with your layout or if you'd be willing to change your layout to accommodate what I know how to do.

Eh, all I'm after is an basic 'X number of cells have a font colour of Y' count. Not after anything fancy. Also, it's not exactly essential. I know it won't be that big a number.

Screenie, for those interested:
    GamesListExample.png
    Purple Circle's the number of games beginning with each letter, and the Gold-ish Circle's the collected total of those.

And here's the code I've used to calculate the number of games in each column (the purple circle):
    =COUNTIF(A7:A150,"**")

• I would totally create a spreadsheet for my miniscule backloggery, but Excel and I are not really on speaking terms because it keeps on hiding all the tools I need to make my data look nice. However, once I force it to reveal its secrets, then I may do this backlog thing.

Add Comment