User Avatar Image

The Backloggery Thread

posted by RetroVortex on - last edited - Viewed by 614 users

So I see several people like myself have a huge library of unfinished games.

And I KNOW we talk about it all the time.

So why not have these kind of discussions in its own thread.

Therefore, The Backloggery Thread was born.

Here's my Backloggery:

http://backloggery.com/retrovortex

As of the 11/11/11 its already quite outdated, I have over 500 games to beat now.
(I need to go back and update it soon)

As you can see, since I started my backloggery in July, I have beaten just 2 games:

Megaman X
Mario's Picross

I also completed Cave Story in September, but its not on the backloggery.

So thats 3. 3 games.

This. Is. Going. To. Be. Impossible!!

I mean look at the games I have on there.

I have BOTH Ghouls 'n' Ghosts AND Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts to beat.

And I can't even get past the first few levels of those! :X

But lets not get too defeatist. There is still time.

Anyone got any recommendations on what to play? I have difficulty deciding these days...

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: Anyone know how to get Excel to only count cells that are a certain colour? Be handy to have it automatically count how many I've finished rather than have to do it by hand.

@Darth Marsden said: I have a bit of an idea how to achieve something like that, but it's a little tricky without knowing how you have your sheet laid out, what statistics you're looking to get out of it, and whether or not any of the solutions I know will fit with your layout or if you'd be willing to change your layout to accommodate what I know how to do.

If you can't figure it out stackoverflow.com is a very good resource for anything remotely programming related.

• Made a new Backloggery.
    My god are those many Steam games...

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@GuruGuru214 said: I have a bit of an idea how to achieve something like that, but it's a little tricky without knowing how you have your sheet laid out, what statistics you're looking to get out of it, and whether or not any of the solutions I know will fit with your layout or if you'd be willing to change your layout to accommodate what I know how to do.

Eh, all I'm after is an basic 'X number of cells have a font colour of Y' count. Not after anything fancy. Also, it's not exactly essential. I know it won't be that big a number.

Screenie, for those interested:
    GamesListExample.png
    Purple Circle's the number of games beginning with each letter, and the Gold-ish Circle's the collected total of those.

And here's the code I've used to calculate the number of games in each column (the purple circle):
    =COUNTIF(A7:A150,"**")

• I would totally create a spreadsheet for my miniscule backloggery, but Excel and I are not really on speaking terms because it keeps on hiding all the tools I need to make my data look nice. However, once I force it to reveal its secrets, then I may do this backlog thing.

• Not doing a new backloggery now.

Just.. too many games!

Can't process them all.

• @Darth Marsden said: Eh, all I'm after is an basic 'X number of cells have a font colour of Y' count. Not after anything fancy. Also, it's not exactly essential. I know it won't be that big a number.

And here's the code I've used to calculate the number of games in each column (the purple circle):

Ah. To my knowledge, there's no way to have Excel base calculations on formatting.

In my sheet, I use a separate column for whether or not a game is beaten, and conditional formatting (which I don't think your version of Excel can do) to automatically handle the color, so I just have to type "Yes" and "No" to get the results I want without having to mess with formatting. Then, to handle the counting, I use this:

=COUNTIF(H:H,\"Yes\")
    =COUNTIF(H:H,\"No\")
    =COUNTIF(H:H,\"In Progress\")
    =COUNTIF(H:H,\"N/A\")

• Just updated my Backloggery.

159 unfinished games. Dang.

EDIT: Oops. Need to update my Wii/PS3 games. I'll do that later.

• @Chyron8472 said: This is all very true. :D

No. It's just not for you. But hey. At least it's cheap. And the 100 hours of it I played is enough for both of us.

• @Chyron8472 said: This is all very true. :D

I remember when I accepted opinions as facts!

Add Comment