User Avatar Image

The Simpsons!

posted by coolsome on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

1193337959_f.jpgYes a thread for the show The Simpsons of which I am a huge fan of. So post your thoughts about your favourite episodes characters ect.

And as always last weeks episode was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever.

standingcbg.gif

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Last time I watched the Simpsons, it had basically turned into the first season of Family Guy. Is that still true?

• This coming week's episode has a subplot where Homer gets into a TV show that used to be really popular, inspired by the writer's getting into Lost soon after it finished. So therefore I find myself obliged to watch it.

• I think my favourite episode is Cape Fear. But there are so many great eps its so hard to choose.

I haven't watched the newer episodes much I've gotten a few laughs out of them but I much prefer the older episodes.

• I saw the thread title and I immediately knew that it was created by Coolsome!

'The Simpsons' at its peek was/is a fantastic show (seasons 1-9). However, the later seasons have really sullied the good will that the show had built up. I believe that the main reasons that the later episodes are such failures are:

* The show used to have real heart. I can't remember who said this but it's so true; "an episode used to end with Marge sat on Homer's lap, as they cycle off into the sunset. Now they end a show with Homer blowing a tranquilizer dart into Marge's neck!"

This is why the show feels more like 'Family Guy'; they've lost the heart and soul. The writers are only interested in making (crappy) jokes now and have all but abandoned the concept of character and emotion.

* The show used to have plots which were grounded in reality. Sure, the stories were exaggerated for comedic effect but at their core we could all relate to them to some extent.

Now the stories have become increasingly outrageous and downright stupid. I know there are apologists who say "well, they ran out of ideas, so cut them some slack" but that's no excuse. If they ran out of ideas then they should have bowed out gracefully.

It's worth noting that it's unlikely that Fox will commission any further episodes of 'The Simpsons'. I only wish that they had made that decision earlier (due to not wanting to run the concept into the ground), as opposed to milking it dry and waiting until viewing figures started to drop sharply.

As for my favourite ever episodes; I'm going to go for 'Behind the Laughter', 'Deep Space Homer', 'The Mysterious Voyage of Homer', '22 Short Films About Springfield' and 'Treehouse of Horror VI' (the segment entitled 'Homer³').

• @St_Eddie said: I only wish that they had made that decision earlier (due to not wanting to run the concept into the ground), as opposed to milking it dry and waiting until viewing figures started to drop sharply.

Not everyone agrees.

• @St_Eddie said:
    The show used to have real heart. I can't remember who said this but it's so true; "an episode used to end with Marge sat on Homer's lap, as they cycle off into the sunset. Now they end a show with Homer blowing a tranquilizer dart into Marge's neck!"

We should write for the Simpsons and bring back its heart..and make less Lisa-centric/Bart-hating episodes.

• @coolsome said: We should write for the Simpsons and bring back its heart..and make less Lisa-centric/Bart-hating episodes.

I've always thought that they should have made one final season where each episode concentrated on one of the side characters (e.g. Bumblebee Man, Snake, Cletus etc.). It would be the perfect way to inject some fresh stories into the show, without having to resort to ridiculous plots.

The Simpson family could still feature, cropping up for a cameo in each episode, as they interact with the starring side character; with their combined appearances across the season adding up to one whole B-story for them.

It might not have worked but it would certainly have been a more interesting way for the show to bow out, whilst celebrating the rich world of characters that were created over the shows run.

• It worked for that episode 22 short films about Springfield and the spin off showcase. If they made episodes like those but not shorts it would work well.

• I still like the show. It's enjoyable, but not necessary viewing material and nowhere near as good as it was all the way at the start.

They got Daniel Radcliffe to say "You are tearing me apart, Lisa!" which must count for something, right?

I really can't choose a favorite episode. My favorite run of episodes is probably Season 8 as a whole, as I can't think of a single negative. And also because of the way Skinner says "N'orleans".

• @Ribs said: They got Daniel Radcliffe to say "You are tearing me apart, Lisa!" which must count for something, right?

You got me out of bed to say "no". That's exactly the reason it stinks this weather.

Special guests LMFAO next week.

Add Comment