User Avatar Image

Replay Games Kickstarter / KQ/SQ/LSL Rights

posted by jonathanfrisby on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Bit off topic, but someone from Replay Games mentioned trying to get the rights to King's Quest in their Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter comments. Also SPACE QUEST!

----
Replay Games about 1 hour ago
@Perdition - we're way ahead of you!! Scott is ready to jump on board, we already spoke to him. Mark, however, can't since he works for Foundation 9, a developer / publisher and he would have a "conflict of interest" as he put it. Having said that, however, the last game, Space Quest 6, was all Scott & Josh (no Mark Crowe involvement) so we think we can hold pretty true to the SQ franchise with those two geniuses on board. We're in the middle of negotiating the rights for King's Quest as well as Space Quest & Police Quest too. :) It all depends on the success of this first game, though.....everybody wants to see how much demand is out there.
----

Doesn't mean much.. Unless Telltale is passing on the franchise? They ought to jump on that before Replay gets the muppets back together!

104 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @wilco64256 said: Well for one thing remakes are WAY cheaper to make because pretty much all of the writing and general game design is already done. Unless you add/change lines or add some new locations you're basically starting right off the bat with a complete game design to work on. That saves a TON of work in the development cycle.

But this is a remake of a game that already got a remake.

• Yeah, and basically its a test to prove that a decent Larry game can be made by this team - if this leads them to making a new Larry game, I'm cool with it. If the donors donate $500,000 and it happens, I'm all for it. Hey, it's the donors money. They can give it if they want to - and hopefully replay does a good job with it. Personally, I think they will.

Bt

• @Anakin Skywalker said: But this is a remake of a game that already got a remake.

True.. but the remake itself is already 21 years old, and didn't have voice.

• @Irishmile said: its all going to depend on the amount of money they get.. they have all the right elements needed to make a great game.. They have Al and Josh to write, and they have some pretty decent artists and background artists.

Sure they have the right people to make a great Larry game, but do they have all the elements to make a successful product? Management that can stay within time and budget? Programmers and build engineers? Are they investing in a portable engine to benefit from economy of scale for subsequent games? How about support? You know, there's no tech support section on the Replay website...

In fact it's hard to tell from the site what exactly Replay does. They claim to be a publisher and developer, yet a good number of the games they show under "our games" were developed and released before Replay was even founded. Which of those games did Replay actually design and code? According to the App Store database, they've only published one iOS game but it's not clear that the individual who actually developed it did so under the auspices of Replay; it seems to have been a student project.

@Irishmile said: Well for one thing remakes are WAY cheaper to make because pretty much all of the writing and general game design is already done. Unless you add/change lines or add some new locations you're basically starting right off the bat with a complete game design to work on. That saves a TON of work in the development cycle.

Except this is Larry 1 Reloaded, they talk about additional locations and re-writing and they are going to have additional expenses for a game this old, especially voice work, beyond a straight-up remake. Theoretically a quick remake, being cheaper, is a good way to start generating income to finance more ambitious projects, eg. all-new sequels. I kind of thought that's what was going on when they initially announced this last year. But now it's a project unto itself, probably not the one most Larry fans want, yet they're now being asked to fund it. I'm not real keen on the idea of using Kickstarter to capitalize a company.

I wonder why they didn't (or couldn't) do a quick remake of Love for Sail, which already has nice graphics and voice, updated for all the modern platforms and start bringing in money and testing the waters that way. Not to mention it was a pretty good game IMO, entertaining and fun to play. My memory is hazy but it doesn't seem like it would be too outdated.

• I think Al Lowe said that most of the art stuff Sierra did for games is lost. Some of it is can be found, but for a complete game you have to do a lot of stuff from scratch.

I think they chose not to do Love for Sail, as it has a lot of pretty nice cinematics, which could be expensive to reproduce in high resolution. And as it has a lot of talking characters the voice budget could rise high.

• Anyone realize that the closest thing that LSL1 HD remake is similar to is Sierra's only successfull remake franchise...;

Mixed-Up series, specifically Mixed-Up Mother Goose, which went through four versions, (3 remakes)... AGI, enhanced EGA, VGA (with CD audio), and finally SVGA...

Mixed-Up Mother Goose (AGI)

Mixed-Up Mother Goose Enhanced (SCIEGA)

Mixed-Up Mother Goose Multimedia (SCIVGA)

Mixed-Up Mother Goose Deluxe (SCISVGA)

I wouldn't have been surprised if Sierra could have gotten remakes in general to be successful, that they might have taken the same route with many of their most popular series... But alas, history took a different route...

• I had no idea there's Deluxe verison out of Mother Goose. I got the EGA and VGA versions ages ago in Roberta Williams Anthology set.

• Roberta Williams Anthology has the AGI EGA version...

I'm not sure if the EGA enhanced version was ever released in any collection.

The Deluxe version was rereleased in the King's Quest Collection II, a bit after the release of teh Roberta Williams collection.

• Anyone else is wondering if the crazy fragmentation of Sierra communities compared to LucasArts communities could be a problem to the success of Sierra related Kickstarters?

The mood and humor between LucasArts adventure games are so similar, if you like one game, you have good chances of liking them all. There's also Mixnmojo and LucasForums which act like a hub for all things LucasArts and ex-LucasArts employees related things and cultivate a sense of unity among LucasArts fans.

By contrast, Sierra games and series are vastly different in mood, tones and kind of humor, Leisure Suit Larry is simply not the same as King's Quest or Gabriel Knight, and these differences subsist even when you delve deeper in a subgenre, fans of King's Quest are not automatically fans of Quest For Glory or Conquests.

And as a result, we don't have a Sierra equivalent of Mixnmojo and LucasForums, although we haven't been lacking new material to cover in the last couple of years, with various releases and announcements of fangames and remakes, to fan made Let's Play, retrospective and interviews with Sierra designers, to Telltale's King's Quest revival and veterans getting out of retirement. Instead all the information is spread across many websites and forums, each dedicated to a specific series, fan project or aspect of Sierra.

And now we have this situation where any LucasArts related Kickstarter will interest all LucasArts fans, but Sierra Kickstarters will interest only a specific subset of fans among all Sierra fans. And if the future of Sierra depends on crowd funding, we might face a problem one day. I have no doubt Al and Jane will meet their goal, but I don't expect the same kind of overfunding we've witnessed with Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2 or Shadowrun Returns. And Kickstarters for lesser known series and designers will have a much harder time meeting their goals.

• @blueskirt said: And as a result, we don't have a Sierra equivalent of Mixnmojo and LucasForums

I beg to differ. They may not be well populated (although they have seen an increase in visitation as of late!), but the Sierra Forums Gateway connects a myriad of different Sierra forums together. And various websites act as the main hub for Sierra news for each game series (SpaceQuest.Net, etc). Also, the Mixnmojo forums aren't that well populated either.

Because there are so many different types of games it doesn't really make sense to have one giant one for all of them anyway. The gateway is the closest thing. The Sierra Help Pages more or less acts as the "hub", though, since it's about all of the series.

Add Comment