User Avatar Image

Red Dwarf Series X Confirmed

posted by Sausy Gibbon on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

I thought since Doctor Who had its own thread, I'd make one about Red Dwarf.

As of the 15th of April Doug Naylor confirmed that a new series is deffnitley in production with channel Dave. Other good news the episodes will be 30 minutes instead of 23 minutes and will be shown in a 40 minute block with ads. The broadcast is slated for September 2012.

So what do people think? Excited or hesitant? Should Holly return? Should the laugh track return? Should bunk scenes return? Will there be dillicious warm buttery toast?

97 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm also one who is happy that they've brought model shots back. I've been using a large version of the following image as my background since they put it up on their website as a teaser.

super-models-3s.jpg

I like being able to see details like things that look like half a submarine and other bits from model sets.

• Having the models back is without a doubt a wonderful thing. The good news doesn't end there though...

They're using the ship model that was built for the (canceled) 'Red Dwarf' movie. Unfortunately, that model was the 'pencil' design, as seen in series VIII. However, Doug listens to the fans and decided to chop out the middle section of the ship, thus making it look more akin to the classic stubby design of series I-VII.

Also, they've hired the same guy who filmed the model sequences for the film 'Moon' to shoot the models for series X. Anyone who's seen 'Moon' (and I'm one of those people) can tell you that this is excellent news indeed.

• YAY! More Red Dwarf!

Exactly what I want to see! :D

• To whomever put "1691 irradiated haggis" in the tag section,

I love you!

Best Regards,
    Ed

• Red Dwarf did pretty well in VII without Rimmer.
    The funny bits were probably the best in the series, (I literally laughed out loud at some parts. Especially the dancing Rimmers! XD).

But I was missing him so badly by the end of it. You can't have the show too long without the crew.

Kochanski isn't my favourite character. Made her a little too posh, and not many jokes bounced off her well.

Back to Earth was ok. Probably need a proper watch of it though.

It would be nice to see in the new series an episode without Lister.
    (Maybe he suddenly disappears or something)

Would be good to see how all the characters react.

Maybe an episode where Rimmer and Kochanski have to get a little too close together...

I like how X seems to be going. I REALLY want to watch it.

(Really. I do. I HUNGER FOR IT!!! :X)

• @RetroVortex said: Red Dwarf did pretty well in VII without Rimmer.
    The funny bits were probably the best in the series, (I literally laughed out loud at some parts. Especially the dancing Rimmers! XD).

I love series VII. It's got it's flaws to be sure but it's definitely ranks amongst my favourite series overall.

@RetroVortex said: Maybe an episode where Rimmer and Kochanski have to get a little too close together...

Hmm, I'm not too sure about this. It sounds awfully similar to the 'Cassandra' episode from series VIII and I hate series VIII.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Sausy Gibbon said: live audience shooting on series X episodes

I left the UK at exactly the wrong time. Red Dwarf is one of my most favourite TV series ever... I'm somewhat hesitant to get excited about series X, but will definitely watch the entire thing.

@Sausy Gibbon said: There hasn't been a set date for when it will starts airing.

Do let us know here when you find out!

• @puzzlebox said: Do let us know here when you find out!

It's rumored and very likely to air in September.

• I two hope they don't bring Kochanski back the show works best with an all male cast (the exeption being a certain gender swapping AI) because a lot of the jokes are very blokey, it doesn't really work with a women there with Lister constantly secreeting gas from his thousands of curries and generally being a slob, Cat's constant attempts to have sex with something and Rimmer explaining his 12 minutes with Yvonne McGruder excluding the time it took to eat the pizza.

• I just hope Doug remembers that the show works best when he doesn't write everything. That's mainly why Series VIII (even though I still enjoyed it) wasn't as good as previous series and why Return to Earth wasn't all that funny.

Letting other people help out works for the show. It'd be wonderful if a certain Mr Grant came back, but I doubt that'll happen. A man can dream though...

Add Comment