User Avatar Image

Red Dwarf Series X Confirmed

posted by Sausy Gibbon on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

I thought since Doctor Who had its own thread, I'd make one about Red Dwarf.

As of the 15th of April Doug Naylor confirmed that a new series is deffnitley in production with channel Dave. Other good news the episodes will be 30 minutes instead of 23 minutes and will be shown in a 40 minute block with ads. The broadcast is slated for September 2012.

So what do people think? Excited or hesitant? Should Holly return? Should the laugh track return? Should bunk scenes return? Will there be dillicious warm buttery toast?

97 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The fan website 'Ganymede & Titan' has a bunch of set reports from a person who was present at each of the recordings for series X. They're non-spoilerish but they do offer an insight into the overall tone and quality of the show...

Episode 1

Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 4
    Episode 5
    Episode 6

@Darth Marsden said: I just hope Doug remembers that the show works best when he doesn't write everything. That's mainly why Series VIII (even though I still enjoyed it) wasn't as good as previous series and why Return to Earth wasn't all that funny.

Letting other people help out works for the show. It'd be wonderful if a certain Mr Grant came back, but I doubt that'll happen. A man can dream though...

Um, you are aware that series VIII was written by Doug Naylor and Paul Alexander (who also co-wrote series VII), right?

I agree that it would be awesome if Rob Grant would come back but sadly that's not going to happen.

• I'm cautiously optimistic. My main concern is that the BBC aren't onboard and it's relegated to the bowels of cable/satellite/freeview/only shows repeats (albiet it great repeats) television. That and Back to Earth whilst being clever as Darth Marsden said, didn't bring the funny.

Of course the show being on a mciro-budget could be ablessing in disguise.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@JedExodus said: Of course the show being on a mciro-budget could be ablessing in disguise.

I certainly didn't mind the days of filming in corridors, cardboard walls, and "futuristic" keypads that are really just regular keyboards turned sideways.

• @St_Eddie said: Um, you are aware that series VIII was written by Doug Naylor and Paul Alexander (who also co-wrote series VII), right?

I agree that it would be awesome if Rob Grant would come back but sadly that's not going to happen.

I was under the impression Naylor overwrote or jettisoned a lot of Alexander's stuff. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, I suspect Naylor to be responsible for most of the 'damage'.

Also, the picture above me? That is indeed a shot from the forthcoming series. Gets you all misty-eyed, doesn't it? It's so... beautiful seeing them where they belong again. And also being able to ask 'Who farted'?

• That picture is interesting it apears to be more like the Starbug set than the Red Dwarf set, I wonder if this means Series X will be set mostly on Starbug.

• I've finally gotten round to watching a couple of episodes, and I love it! Just watched the fourth episode, which delves into the cats mythology. Lister us awesome. (Assuming I got the name right, the guy from robot wars/coronation St.)

• @Friar said: I've finally gotten round to watching a couple of episodes, and I love it! Just watched the fourth episode, which delves into the cats mythology. Lister us awesome. (Assuming I got the name right, the guy from robot wars/coronation St.)

Yup. Lister is awesome! :D

(I love Craig Charles. Watched Robot Wars, Red Dwarf, and Takeshi's Castle A LOT. Funny guy. His acting in Corrie was probably one of the best in the show, (though standards aren't exactly high...))

• Just seen it. Hopes are mildly high, held back only by my natural cynicism.

Add Comment