User Avatar Image

Replay Games Kickstarter / KQ/SQ/LSL Rights

posted by jonathanfrisby on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Bit off topic, but someone from Replay Games mentioned trying to get the rights to King's Quest in their Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter comments. Also SPACE QUEST!

----
Replay Games about 1 hour ago
@Perdition - we're way ahead of you!! Scott is ready to jump on board, we already spoke to him. Mark, however, can't since he works for Foundation 9, a developer / publisher and he would have a "conflict of interest" as he put it. Having said that, however, the last game, Space Quest 6, was all Scott & Josh (no Mark Crowe involvement) so we think we can hold pretty true to the SQ franchise with those two geniuses on board. We're in the middle of negotiating the rights for King's Quest as well as Space Quest & Police Quest too. :) It all depends on the success of this first game, though.....everybody wants to see how much demand is out there.
----

Doesn't mean much.. Unless Telltale is passing on the franchise? They ought to jump on that before Replay gets the muppets back together!

104 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Blueskirt, Frans and Jess are seriously looking at mergine SQ.Net and the Virtual Broomcloset. The plan is to make one giant SQ themed website based around news. There will be content and whatnot, but it's mainly going to focus on news. There will be many site authors that will post news tidbits and reviews and whatnot. There will also be a heavy section for fan efforts as well, at least that's the way it's looking at the moment. But Frans is open and a lot of people are asking for it.

And the reason SQ.Net doesn't turn into a "Sierra.net" is because, honestly, most SQ fans (Frans included, I believe) simply do not care about the other Sierra series as much. Sierra had so many more games than LucasArts did (adventure-wise). I still also don't believe LucasArts' success was due to Mixnmojo. Mixnmojo was created BECAUSE of the following LucasArts had. Sierra's community is an entirely different animal and may never be the same way. In a way I'm kind of happy it's not the same. It'd be far different than it actually is now in that case. Although the idea of a super mega Sierra site is nice to think about. I remember a Sierra website someone sent me. It had so much content and information on every Sierra game ever it was a fantastic resource to get information from. Easter eggs, video trailers (if they existed), links to soundtracks, all the different versions, what compilation packs they were included in, you name it it was there. All the way from Mystery House to whatever the last game they published in 1999 was. However, it's not online anymore sadly.

• @MusicallyInspired said: ... SQ.Net ...

Is there perhaps another URL for the site you're talking about, because according to my internet that one redirects to somewhere not remotely related to Space Quest (unless there's an FMV version of SQX: Latex Babes of Estros I don't otherwise know about it). :eek:

• User Avatar Image
    pcj

http://www.spacequest.net

And be sure to check out the forums for the actual discussions taking place regarding the merging, http://forum.spacequest.net

• @thom-22 said: Is there perhaps another URL for the site you're talking about, because according to my internet that one redirects to somewhere not remotely related to Space Quest (unless there's an FMV version of SQX: Latex Babes of Estros I don't otherwise know about it). :eek:

That would be spacequest.net :D Thought the content of sq.net does look pretty nice.

• http://spacequest.net is the proper address. I just abbreviated it because I figured everyone would know what I'm talking about.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

With all the talk throughout this thread of resurrecting sierra and such, I think it is worth mentioning that Jane Jensen has posted tons of gk1 production documentation. She even got her hands on original sketches that a guy saved from a dumpster when Sierra closed down that are being offered to high-end backers. She is also providing design bibles for gk1 & 2 among other things. So while it is not a resurrection, it is the most old school material being released in quite some time.

• almost there - $479,731 pledged of $500,000 goal

• So they did it! Haha! I hope the game is great.

Bt

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I have high hopes for the Replay Games remake of Leisure Suit Larry, since the company is made up of former Sierra employees and they have the original Larry team working on the remake. :)

I really hope it turns out great and ends up selling well once it's released in the general market. :D

Add Comment