User Avatar Image

Dear Telltale...

posted by Planex on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

========EDIT========
In response to everyone who has posted a reply to this, let me be clear: My sole reason for this post is to address the fact that The Walking Dead is a point-and-click game, but such information is not given on the game's Steam store page.
========END EDIT========

Dear Telltale Games,
Please take the following as a bit of advice with no intent of malice or offense:

I'd love to buy The Walking Dead, but not without knowing what it's all about and frankly, Telltale, you have done a really sh*tty job of marketing it. Steam lists the genre as "adventure." That's pretty F*cking vague. On top of that your trailers and screenshots on the Steam store show only bits of cut scenes or random in-game stills. Honestly, I don't think it's too much to ask that you provide me with a good idea of what I'm getting for my $25. When I see your game advertised at a Point of Sale, should I really then have to go poking around the internet just to find out if the game is first person or third person?

So what kind of game is this? What do you actually do? Do you get weapons or do you always run away? Do you have to solve puzzles or just make it from point A to point B alive?

Please consider this in future advertisements.

Signed,
Planex

48 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Planex said: I didn't have to. Infinity Ward and EA did such a good job marketing those games that I knew what I was getting before I bought them.

Really? hmmm

I had to search google for COd to see if it was completely the same as 2 and Crysis 2 if it was open world like the first.

:)

P.S

Both Disappointed:) but they were decent games. I still play Cod.

• If you watched the videos hosted on thewalkingdeadgame.com, you would've seen some of the game play. It is also pretty easy to find around 10 minutes of game play on youtube.com. I agree that maybe stills weren't the best way to go, but I doubt Steam would want to host a walk through of the game.
    Tolli, with the quick responses from mods, admins, and programmers alike, I'm surprised that you're acting like Telltale is simply after money. They're a business, of course they want money, but they take care of their customers and make the business feel very friendly and personal. With as hard as they're working to identify what's causing the bugs (which, as far as I can see, is usually a user's problem such as having out of date equipment), it's hardly a "we have your money now p*ss off" situation.

• @Irishmile said: the "Adventure" Genre has been around as long as PC gaming has existed...
    TTG makes adventure games... They have shown gameplay on their own website..

@Irishmile said: If you watched the videos hosted on thewalkingdeadgame.com, you would've seen some of the game play.

As I said, "Adventure" is far too vague for the current state of the gaming world. And again, why aren't these videos shown at Point of Sale? Why do I have to go to an outside site and track them down?

• Telltale did 3 episodes of a behind the scenes making of the game and the last show (with Kirkman had actual gameplay on show. It is an adventure game as everyone knows it. You point and click to get around, find items and make choices, but all your choices have consequences and not just for the episode you make them in. If you visit IGN or Youtube, you can easily find additional footage to make your decision, but really the "Playing Dead" behind the scenes video should be enough.

• @Desmodus87 said: If you watched the videos hosted on thewalkingdeadgame.com, you would've seen some of the game play. It is also pretty easy to find around 10 minutes of game play on youtube.com. I agree that maybe stills weren't the best way to go, but I doubt Steam would want to host a walk through of the game.
    Tolli, with the quick responses from mods, admins, and programmers alike, I'm surprised that you're acting like Telltale is simply after money. They're a business, of course they want money, but they take care of their customers and make the business feel very friendly and personal. With as hard as they're working to identify what's causing the bugs (which, as far as I can see, is usually a user's problem such as having out of date equipment), it's hardly a "we have your money now p*ss off" situation.

To be fair all companies would do that if they could, and private companies need to play it extra safe;)

• @Planex said: The entire point was that I shouldn't have to. I mean, they are actually trying to sell copies of this game, right?

Way to be a responsible consumer. Nothing like buying random games based on pretty pictures and marketing hyperbole.

• @anonymousmagic said: You point and click to get around

THANK YOU! Seriously, I mean it. That one sentence told me more about the game than all of the information on the Steam store page.

• ... Uh... Its ON their website.. multiple videos.. some with gameplay.

• @Gennadios said: Way to be a responsible consumer. Nothing like buying random games based on pretty pictures and marketing hyperbole.

I wish I said this:) Unfortunately this is true for some and untrue for most...such as the wide spread boot problems ppl are having.

Sigh*

• @Gennadios said: Way to be a responsible consumer.

That argument is so false I don't even know how to being tackling it. I'm asking them to market better and you're telling me to... what? Shop harder? That's not how capitalism works - not if you want to actually sell your product anyway.

This discussion has been closed.