User Avatar Image

The Walking Dead Episode 1 REVIEW THREAD

posted by VinAro on - last edited - Viewed by 4K users

I just completed the first episode and i must say.. WAW this game is just incredible. It is so intense. Such a cool, interesting story and so much fun. I just love that you finaly get way more freedom now with this game than older Telltale ones. I have aswell been reading the forums with people having alot of issues with the game. I haven't had any problems at all. Everything went incredibly well so i suggest to clean ur pc up or get a serious one really. Great First Episode Telltale i'm proud too say this is ur best game yet that i have ever played from u guys! You did lots of efford and it shows off! Cannot wait for second episode looks very promising as what i have seen at the end of the first episode! I seriously did not know this game would be so awesome and polished!

203 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I got mine off Steam. Running on an iMac, Lion.

Praise:

- Love the cel-shading art and hand-drawn comic book style you guys went with!

- I'm sucked into that Walking Dead world.

- The music, ambiance and tone was 100%. (Congrats Telltale!)

- Initially it felt "short", but when you put the $5 into perspective, it's like an interactive comic issue monthly. Then it magically transforms into pretty darn good value! (i'm not sure how TV fans or 1st time Telltale customers or L4D2 players would feel about this.... :D )

- I'm replaying it on the 2nd slot now, nasty style.

Rants:

- MAJOR BUG found here
    ----> If i go with "Don't give her the gun"...

opxmaa.jpg

... THE ENTIRE GAME FREEZES!!!
    Have to force-quit (CMD+OPT+ESC) the game and replay the scene and go with "Give her the gun". :mad:

I'm on a 27" iMac Late-2009 2.8 GHz Core i7
    4GB RAM & ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
    Mac OS X 10.7.3

- Sporadic glitchy/screechy audio!
    - Some transitions (after you selected your choice) freezes for 5-10 secs before progressing.

For me, i can't wait for Ep.2! :eek:

How about you guys???

• Plays fine on my little Macbook Pro. I gave her the gun and had no problems. I have a macbook pro with a 2.26 GHz Intel core 2 processor, 4 GB RAM, and Mac OSX Version 10.6.8.

I would want the gun too if I was bitten and felt like turning into a zombie was inevitable.

• Sir,
    I just wanted to doff my hat to you and raise a glass to your continued success.

I'm playing The Walking Dead, and without doubt, Clementine is one of the most sincere and real depictions of not only a child, but a video game companion, in a video game, ever.

[spoiler follows?]
    When I saw in the trailer when Lee tells Clementine that her parents might be gone for a while and she replies 'oh', it was so beautifully understated and genuine - and the voice acting so classy - that I signed on the dotted line and bought the season right there.

Kudos and respect to the writing, sir. Much luck for the rest of the season.

• The voice actors all did a wonderful jobs, but Clementine really stood out. I didn't have the heart to tell her that her parents may not be coming back. I lied and said that they would find us. The only lie Lee ever told her.

• DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE EPISODE YET.

First of all, before I say anything else, I want to give a HUGE thank you to the Telltale Team for tirelessly working overtime to fix the issues surrounding the game's release, and for giving a free Steam key when all else failed. I may have been really critical of Telltale lately, but there isn't a single other game company out there that cares more about its fans, so thank you. Now go get some sleep. :p

Anyway, after BttF and JP being such letdowns, I wasn't going into this game particularly optimistic. Maybe it's just that my expectations were so low, but overall I was pleased.

For starters, the writing was great, although you can say that about every Telltale game (even the bad ones!). Telltale's always been really good when it comes to getting an emotional reaction out of the player, whether it's laughing your ass off at Sam and Max or feeling bad for a young Emmett Brown, so it was pretty interesting seeing what they'd come up with in an M-Rated environment. Stuff like having to repeatedly swing an axe into your brother is...creative, to say the least. There aren't a lot of games that force you to perform acts of violence but make you feel uncomfortable about it (I guess GTA4 could count, maybe), so props to Telltale for venturing into mostly unexplored territory. I also found myself liking all the characters too (except Lilly's dad. Fuck that guy :rolleyes: ).

The game's nice, graphically. Telltale found a decent middle-ground between cartoony and realistic that mostly avoids the issues with both styles. The sets were incredible as well, I should add. I don't think Telltale's ever put this much detail in their backgrounds before. And Jared Emerson-Johnson's music is great as always.

Now onto the real meat of the matter, the gameplay. Like Jurassic Park, this is an interactive movie. Unlike Jurassic Park, this is an interactive movie done right. While you're still sort of moving on rails through the path the game sets out for you, they give just enough freedom along the way to keep the player engaged. Also, that whole motel scene was just incredible. Probably the best Telltale moment since the fight with Charlie Ho-Tep.

I'd also like to discuss the non-linearity this game loved to use as a selling point. Now, this is obviously a nice idea since it allows the player some freedom. One of my gripes with JP (and to a lesser extent BttF) was scrapping the Sam and Max-style dialogue trees and instead having these long...dialogue sequences, where you're forced to pick something to say and you can't backtrack. This was especially irritating because it usually didn't even matter what you picked, and the game would move forward regardless. (Hell, sometimes they'd even say the exact same line, no matter what option you picked.) In adventure games, progress should happen by solving puzzles, and a "puzzle" that solves itself no matter what is...well, it's just a crappy puzzle. Anyway, The Walking Dead does a huge improvement on these "dialogue sequences" by having what you say matter...and giving you a limited time to answer. Suddenly, these once-boring scenes can get pretty tense.

At the same time, though, I get the feeling in the long run this game might not be quite as non-linear as Telltale claims. It's kind of hard to judge this when there's only one episode so far, but I'd like to point out the incident on Hershel's farm. I chose to save Shawn, yet despite my choice Shawn died and Duck lived. It seems pretty clear that, no matter what you pick, you're going to follow the same basic story with a few minor differences. I was sort of expecting there'd be an opportunity for some huge deviations, to the point that Episode 5 would be a completely different game for everyone who played it. But to be fair, that kind of game would be difficult for even a big-budget developer to do, much less a smaller one like Telltale, so I won't complain too much.

Is there any other negative stuff I should bring up? ...Well, I miss point-and-click adventure games. I guess I shouldn't hold it against The Walking Dead for being something completely different, though. "It's not an adventure game!" was a valid complaint with BttF because it tried to be one but failed, and it was a valid complaint with Jurassic Park because the new direction that game took was just plain abysmal, but with The Walking Dead...yeah, I guess I can't fault it too much. If I raise a big stink about how it's not an adventure game, I guess I'd be as bad as the 13-year-old kids whining about how it's not an FPS. Still, I do hope Telltale gives us something more...traditional soon. I guess there's always King's Quest.

Oh, and the Steam achievements are really uncreative. They're all progress-related. Come on, how about something you need to go a little out of your way for? I guess the achievement whores out there will like it, though.

Anyway, so far I'm liking this a lot. Easily the best game Telltale's done since The Devil's Playhouse. Eagerly looking forward to the other episodes. :)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to deal with something far scarier than a zombie outbreak...finals week.

• Also, what happened to the usual stickied review thread whenever Telltale releases something? :p

• On the 2nd run thru, that major bug did not hit. The audio glitches are still random but there. No freezes during transitions either.

So i take it corrupted saved data???

• @Rasher said:

I would want the gun too if I was bitten and felt like turning into a zombie was inevitable.

Yup. Same here. I would die on my own terms. :p

• @DjangoZom said:
    - MAJOR BUG found here
    ----> If i go with "Don't give her the gun"...

... THE ENTIRE GAME FREEZES!!!
    Have to force-quit (CMD+OPT+ESC) the game and replay the scene and go with "Give her the gun". :mad:

I'm on a 27" iMac Late-2009 2.8 GHz Core i7
    4GB RAM & ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB
    Mac OS X 10.7.3

- Sporadic glitchy/screechy audio!
    - Some transitions (after you selected your choice) freezes for 5-10 secs before progressing.

I have the same iMac as you except I have 16GB of RAM instead of 4 and am also running 10.7.3 and I didn't have any of the problems you had. My game settings were on max and highest resolution as well. :confused:

In fact, I encountered absolutely no bugs at all or any kind of lag/stutter.

Add Comment