User Avatar Image

Why no console version for New Zealand? We have an R18 rating.

posted by Tel Prydain on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

So, guys... what's going on? Unlike the Aussies, we have an R18 rating and have R18 games on the shelf along with all the other titles. Games that haven't been rated (and were blocked from Australia) haven't had any issues here, so what's the holdup?

71 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Just saying, people are more likely to listen if you're polite and reasonable in your arguments.

No it doesn't affect me, but dismissing someone's opinion as irrelevant based purely upon their geographical location is as bad as, well, restricting a game from one country based on a different country's censorship laws ;) Living in the UK there are countless times when I've been in a situation of having to wait up to a year for e.g. a TV series to get broadcast here, so I know how it can be. Yeah, I'd be pretty gutted too if I couldn't get TWD. But frankly this sense of entitlement that is rife within the gaming public is getting somewhat sickening. I don't really care when it's targetted at a big, bloated studio - but TTG are a small and independent outfit who do actually care and listen to their fans.

Anyway, as far as I've been able to tell you can still get it online for Mac/PC so it's not like you can't find a way to play it if you're that determined...

• All information regarding this is CLEARLY explained via n.z classification website... ANY research (at all) would have yielded this information:
    http://www.censorship.govt.nz/industry/industry-games.html
    From a supposed backwards country no less. Classic.
    Cost is around $1,400. Far too much to warrant initiating a foreign fan base? Pfft.
    Amazing how little yanks know bout Australasia.

• It's not a rating issue, i'm in Australia and have quite happily played The Walking Dead through twice, having it available to me on telltale and STEAM (where, if it was RCed, it absolutely wouldn't be available)

• User Avatar Image
    _BrYan_ Telltale Staff

Hey guys - I happen to be the producer on The Walking Dead that handles game ratings/classifications. I was checking out the forums, saw this post, and just wanted to take a moment to respond to this valid concern from you.

First of all: I don't feel like anybody is being rude. I understand your excitement to play a game so many others are talking about. I'm sorry you can't get it on console at the moment.

Typically, our games come to New Zealand because as long as a game is not restricted in Australia, we release in both countries for the cost of just 1 rating. It's been pointed out in this thread already that we pretty much have no chance at getting an Australian rating until early 2013 (when new certification laws come into effect). That said, there IS a way to bypass the Australian rating and attempt to get a game rated directly in New Zealand (See: Mortal Kombat), but the cost of the rating must be weighed against the potential for sales in that reigon. Start by considering the cost of the title. Mortal Kombat has a better chance to make money in New Zealand because it costs roughly 55 dollars MORE than Episode 1 of The Walking Dead. That means they can sell less copies of their game than us and still make money. Even if you opt for the season pass on PSN, Mortal Kombat is still more than twice the cost of The Walking Dead. That means we need to sell a VERY high volume of games in New Zealand to justify the cost (in both time and money) of a New Zealand only rating.

So, to answer your question: It's a business decision, not a middle finger. Trust me, this is NOT an issue of us disliking our fans in New Zealand, or forgetting about them! Some people in this thread have suggested methoods for getting the game on console already, but my suggestion would be to get it on PC/mac!

At any rate, I hope this sheds some light on the issue. Again, I'm sorry that we couldn't get this game to your consoles at the same time as places elsewhere, but I just wanted to point out some reasons why and say without spoiling any potential future plans that you guys are on our radar!

• This post is pointless... since _BrYan_ ninja posted.
    :)

• @_BrYan_ said:
    So, to answer your question: It's a business decision, not a middle finger. Trust me, this is NOT an issue of us disliking our fans in New Zealand, or forgetting about them! Some people in this thread have suggested methoods for getting the game on console already, but my suggestion would be to get it on PC/mac!

Hey, BrYan - thanks for explaining.
    I guess my best hope is to hold out for some time in the future when Australia might allow them through. :cool:

Thanks again for the reply. :)

• @_BrYan_ said:
    *snip*

@_BrYan_
    Thanks for the response - your explanation of the rationale behind the decision is at least understandable, if still unpalatable (and I would seriously question the assumption the game would not pass muster under Australian classification). To forestall further ill-feeling, I'd suggest the "powers that be" make these details more widely known to the gaming public, especially that percentage (albeit comparatively small) resident in NZ.

• @_BrYan_ said:

At any rate, I hope this sheds some light on the issue. Again, I'm sorry that we couldn't get this game to your consoles at the same time as places elsewhere, but I just wanted to point out some reasons why and say without spoiling any potential future plans that you guys are on our radar!

While I understand this is a business decision to not release in NZ, due to our market being too small and that we are basically at the mercy of the Aus classification board here, this is still very unpalatable and would have been nicer to know prior to the release of the game, rather than the day of. Had i known, that TWD was not going to gain release in NZ, I wouldn't have been so hyped for it and probably wouldn't have followed it as closely as I did hungering to play this game.

If we are such a small market, businesswise, I can't see how we could be on the radar unless there are plans to release TWD here (and AUS) come 2013 and the change to the r rating classification to the video game industry there. Can't come soon enough in my opinion.

• then this official sucks we hate this law the other game that got alot of gore more then what i seen in walking dead game they got thru classification without a scratch but now australia and new zealand are in dark cause classification laws not going to let walking dead in boo man

now i buy it thru steam at least they wont ban it there

Add Comment