User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 6.2K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I would have to disagree with what you stated about Larry choices.

I think no matter what you do for Larry, he will NOT like you and will try to kill you. He is one of those judgmental assholes and he sees Lee as a murderer only. To him, that means Lee does not deserve to live.

The Glenn thing I have to agree with. He really should be one way or the other, not swap only because you made a particular decision. At the end, if you had given the girl the gun, he does begin to understand the reasons behind it. I have yet to play the other branch of that to the end to see his reaction there.

I think there will be a few other choices we made that just need more time to come to fruition within the story. Episode 1 has been more about survival and reaching relative safety. I think later Eps will show more reactions to choices we made in 1.

• Yeah I hope you're right.... I'm skeptical so far, and hate when there's just an illusion of choice/effect.

If they pull it off, it could be one of the greatest gaming achievements in history! Even Mass Effect choices were pretty weak in the overall story, and as I said before, LA Noir although a great game, did not really have any choices that mattered whatsoever. When you go back and play a different way, you get the same results no matter what.

As long as TWD has at least a few branches I'll be happy. It would be even better tho if you actually went to a few different locations due to your choices, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Either way, still an amazing piece of entertainment, especially for $5 per 2hr episode!

• User Avatar Image
    G.Ross Telltale Staff

The designers are trying really hard to make those choices matter further down the rabbit hole. I'm hoping you'll be pleased. :)

• I really hope they do. After reading ADavidson's original post I'm skeptical but hopeful.

• @G.Ross said: The designers are trying really hard to make those choices matter further down the rabbit hole. I'm hoping you'll be pleased. :)

I know they are and understand just how hard that can be. If they pull it off, it will be a real historical moment. I can't wait! :D

further down the wabbit hole? *snarfle*

• @G.Ross said: The designers are trying really hard to make those choices matter further down the rabbit hole. I'm hoping you'll be pleased. :)

Yesssssss! I am so excited! Best zombie game ever!

• The game was more linear than I was hoping. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed EP1 and can't wait for the next installment (can't it be weekly? Every 2 weeks? Please? :p) but I felt as though there wasn't really a great deal of choices to make that had any significant effect on the story.

Okay it's only episode 1, but there's only 5 episodes, so surely the first one should do more than just set the scene. I wanted to see events happen differently or not at all based on choices. The only real choice we had was who to save - why couldn't we have chosen to try to save both? Or none? Or at the beginning, why couldn't we have chosen a different way to kill the first zombie, logically everyone would go for the shotgun, but couldn't we have chosen to save the bullet and used the shotgun as a melee weapon? Then the horde wouldn't appear.

I don't want choices to only affect the ending or later down the line, it should have an effect on every episode. Choosing between two people did have an impact but hasn't really changed the story. I mean Hershel still speaks of lying no matter the choices made, or, Kenny still saves you despite choices made. We don't really get to affect the overall story, only small bits and pieces along the way differ.

Overall though fantastic game, but for me has yet to live up to the "choices tailor the story" claim. Also in an ideal world there'd be more in each episode or a shorter wait between each one.

• @ADavidson said: And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him.

I think Larry will always be a selfish jerk no matter what happens. Besides, I think it's being set up to where Larry will have a most satisfying and gruesome death.

• Just to throw my two cents in...

@Braveheartt said: Or at the beginning, why couldn't we have chosen a different way to kill the first zombie, logically everyone would go for the shotgun, but couldn't we have chosen to save the bullet and used the shotgun as a melee weapon? Then the horde wouldn't appear.

Imagine this- You do not know the cop is a zombie, you do not know there are more zombies in the woods, and you do not know that zombies are attracted to loud noises. In fact, at the beginning of the zombie-pocolypse, you know absolutely zip about zombies. You have a shotgun and a shell for it in hand, with a fairly bloodied cop crawling at you, apparently to kill you. Now, are you really going to use that shotgun as a club? Really? Somehow, I doubt it.

@Braveheartt said: I mean Hershel still speaks of lying no matter the choices made

If you are as honest as possible with him, he speaks of lying, but he doesn't come right out and call you a liar. He just lets you know that he knows there is more to you than you are saying. He is also much nicer about it at the end of the conversation.

Add Comment