User Avatar Image

Movie plotholes/ The only thing that doesn't add up

posted by Dangeresque on - last edited - Viewed by 7.8K users

This is the greatest trilogy ever made (i dont consider the godfather a trilogy cause 3 sucked). everything in this movie was well thought out, all the events and the going back and forth were perfect (especially if you watch them around 15 times each and pick up all the small details :p )

the only thing that think didnt add up in this movie was the fact that Marty's parents doent remember him. i mean sure its 30 years later (speaking of the 1st movie) but even if for only a week he was still a huge influence in both their lives right? when he started getting older wouldnt they start saying, hey wait a minute, this guy looks really familiar.

Worse yet wouldn't george suspect loraine of cheating on her with marty? i mean calvin marty in the late 60s?

just a stupid point. it might make no sence but its something that popped to my head and figure i'd share it. of course dont mean no offence to the trilogy

364 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @bttf4444 said: Actually, I still believe that. I think, if they had stayed in the future for more than 24 hours, then their older selves (and children) would disappear - and the timeline would be as if they were missing for thirty years. I actually got that idea from Mike Mahoney, and I think it makes sense.

As for Biff '15 remembering the DeLorean, that is the confusing part. The best explanation I can come up with is, if you had asked him about a flying DeLorean from thirty years ago prior to the event, he would think you were crazy. However, the moment he saw the DeLorean, I think it was a convergence of the two timelines.

I just don't like the idea that Marty's life would still end up in ruins, even after having gone to the future.

Of course, the whole thing could've been avoided - if Doc had just told Marty about what he saw. Then Marty would have thirty years to change things. But, I understand the out-of-universe reason of why they did it that way. The Bobs had ended the first film with no plans for a sequel.

Once Biff sees the DeLorean in 1985 that event is now part of the space time continuum.

@bttf4444 said: I've recently come up with a longer slightly more complex explanation for the presence of the future selves.

This is the way I see it. When Marty, Doc and Jennifer 'first' go to 2015, they end up in a reality where they've been missing for thirty years. Realizing there's nothing they can do about this, they return to 1985, and then Marty breaks his hand in the accident with Needles, Marty Jr. gets into trouble etc.

So now that a 'precedent' has been established and the space-time continuum 'knows' that there is a high probability that Marty, Doc and Jennifer WILL return to 2015 and lead pretty much the same lives Doc had originally seen them lead, the 'final version' of future they arrive in is one where their future selves are present and appropriately aged, having returned to 1985.

This theory would provide an explanation not only for the future self's presence, but also their memories...the future selves would remember arriving in a future where they were missing.

The timeline must know the characters intentions. I think the timeline stays the way it was unless a junction point is changed or something happens threatening it. For instance the timeline of 2015 seems to be the same with 1985 Marty showing up there until he actually changes something. Something would have to happen to threaten to change it for it to start changing; for instance if the delorean gets damaged or let's say Marty finds out about his car accident then we'd see it changing.

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: Once Biff sees the DeLorean in 1985 that event is now part of the space time continuum.

The timeline must know the characters intentions. I think the timeline stays the way it was unless a junction point is changed or something happens threatening it. For instance the timeline of 2015 seems to be the same with 1985 Marty showing up there until he actually changes something. Something would have to happen to threaten to change it for it to start changing; for instance if the delorean gets damaged or let's say Marty finds out about his car accident then we'd see it changing.

You know, that's actually interesting. In BTTF3, the photograph of the tombstone kept changing based on Marty's intentions in 1885. For instance, when he decides to fight Bufford Tannen, the photograph 'ripples' into the Clint Eastwood tombstone.

Now if the reality of 2015 is, like the photograph, the projection of the 'most likely future', then ideally, a change in Marty's intentions while in 2015 should bring about a change in reality. So, for instance, if Marty and Jennifer broke up while they were in 2015, then the reality should morph around them to one where Marty and Jennifer broke up thirty years ago, and are probably married to different people.

This idea was reflected to a small extent in the original script for BTTF2, where, any pain felt by the past self who was in the future was 'transferred' to the future self as well. So, when Young Jennifer pricked her thumb, we see Old Jennifer suddenly reacting to a pain in her thumb! (Strangely enough, the memories don't get 'transferred'...)

• I'm still going with the 24-hour theory. If Marty was to go, "Screw it! I'm staying here in 2015!" - I don't think the timeline would change right away. Also, if Marty was to suggest spending a week's vacation in the year 2015, it seems a bit too far-fetched to think the timeline would remain intact for that long.

• @sn939 said: You know, that's actually interesting. In BTTF3, the photograph of the tombstone kept changing based on Marty's intentions in 1885. For instance, when he decides to fight Bufford Tannen, the photograph 'ripples' into the Clint Eastwood tombstone.

Now if the reality of 2015 is, like the photograph, the projection of the 'most likely future', then ideally, a change in Marty's intentions while in 2015 should bring about a change in reality. So, for instance, if Marty and Jennifer broke up while they were in 2015, then the reality should morph around them to one where Marty and Jennifer broke up thirty years ago, and are probably married to different people.

This idea was reflected to a small extent in the original script for BTTF2, where, any pain felt by the past self who was in the future was 'transferred' to the future self as well. So, when Young Jennifer pricked her thumb, we see Old Jennifer suddenly reacting to a pain in her thumb! (Strangely enough, the memories don't get 'transferred'...)

In the original script 2015 Jennifer does leave Marty but I can't recall if 1985 Jennifer sees it. Would be interesting if she did and figures she may as well break up with Marty seeing what he becomes. The pain transferrance was silly, it also happened in 1967, 67 doc had a window fall on his hand and 1985 Doc grabbed his.

Clarification though; the tombstomb doesn't immediately change from 'Emmet Brown' to 'Clint eastwood', Emmets name disappears after the festival (as we find out, this is when he originally gets shot but Marty averts this hence why the name is removed). Marty is carrying his gun and likely prepared to go through with the gun fight until he sees his alias on the tombstomb (somewhat of a paradox as this is likely when he changes it).

@sn939 said: I'm still going with the 24-hour theory. If Marty was to go, "Screw it! I'm staying here in 2015!" - I don't think the timeline would change right away. Also, if Marty was to suggest spending a week's vacation in the year 2015, it seems a bit too far-fetched to think the timeline would remain intact for that long.

I think there simply has to be a junction point preventing 1985 Marty from eventually becoming 2015 marty. It's not so much how long he stays as he can always return when he left but what happens when he does stay. Let's say marty decides to stay, the timeline would likely fast forward to see what happens; if it finds 1985 marty does in fact stay time displaced, 2015 marty would disappear but if it finds marty eventually decides to return to 1985, it would keep itself intact.

• That just doesn't make sense, though. Marty could simply decide to do the opposite of what the timeline suggests he'll do, just for the hell of it.

• @bttf4444 said: That just doesn't make sense, though. Marty could simply decide to do the opposite of what the timeline suggests he'll do, just for the hell of it.

well he does; the timeline suggests he goes through with the duel so he amends things.

• Yeah, I see Marty's and Jennifer's presence of future selves in 2015 be akin to the tombstone photograph - a representation of what will happen if the events unfold as they proceed now.

So when Marty arrives in 2015, his and Jennifer's future selves were there because in this timeline Marty successfully arrives back in 1985 and continues to live his life (breaking his hand in the process). If Marty would be unable to go back to 1985 for some reason, then the ripple effect would take place and would erase Marty's future version.

• @Farlander said: Yeah, I see Marty's and Jennifer's presence of future selves in 2015 be akin to the tombstone photograph - a representation of what will happen if the events unfold as they proceed now.

So when Marty arrives in 2015, his and Jennifer's future selves were there because in this timeline Marty successfully arrives back in 1985 and continues to live his life (breaking his hand in the process). If Marty would be unable to go back to 1985 for some reason, then the ripple effect would take place and would erase Marty's future version.

docs exact words "this photograph represents what will happen if the events of today roll into tomorrow", the same will hold true with the entire reality of 2015. The intention the entire time are for Marty to save his future son and then return 1985.

• @Michael J Fox is Canadian said: docs exact words "this photograph represents what will happen if the events of today roll into tomorrow", the same will hold true with the entire reality of 2015. The intention the entire time are for Marty to save his future son and then return 1985.

True...but Marty would only return to 1985 AFTER saving his future son. The presence of Future Marty implies that Marty Jr. being saved (and by extension, Marty returning to 1985) is somehow predestined...which is totally against how things work in BTTF.

If Future Marty is a Marty who traveled to 2015, then he must necessarily have some memory of the circumstances of his trip to 2015 and his return. But the events of 2015 are unpredictable since 'our' Marty has free will, so what CAN he remember?

• @sn939 said: True...but Marty would only return to 1985 AFTER saving his future son. The presence of Future Marty implies that Marty Jr. being saved (and by extension, Marty returning to 1985) is somehow predestined...which is totally against how things work in BTTF.

If Future Marty is a Marty who traveled to 2015, then he must necessarily have some memory of the circumstances of his trip to 2015 and his return. But the events of 2015 are unpredictable since 'our' Marty has free will, so what CAN he remember?

Do we know if 'future marty and jennifer' are in fact versions of themselves which had the 2015 time travel experiences? Although there is no evidence either way, it doesn't seem like they have; Jennifer should be remembering that she sees her other self or that Marty gets fired and she doesn't. Also Marty would have definitely bet on the Cubs to win the world series and doesn't seem like he did (if he did he probably wouldn't be taking such a financial risk or have financial problems).

Add Comment