User Avatar Image

The Last Item You Purchased?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 43.5K users

What was it? Whether it was a packet of chips, a video game, a CD, a magazine, a gun, a flower, a yacht or an island, post it here.

My most recent purchase was a CD - Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence".

5.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Torchlight 2 Pre-Order and a new Gaming Headset

• You bought a wrestler? Neat!

Bread for me. I am officially boring.

• I bought...

Legend of Grimrock!

Let the fun begin!

• Maroon 5 - Payphone (feat. Wiz Khalifa)

Explicit version. On iTunes. Because fuck it, I love Maroon 5.

• Radeon HD 4450 512MB

£25
    +£2.50 postage

(Ordered it from CEX, so its worth paying the postage. They are lightning quick usually)

Interesting puchase. But why would I buy a old and relatively weak graphics card?

Its for my arcade machine.

Its currently running on a Radeon X1300 (I think?), and its struggling on Dreamcast.
    (Loads of graphical errors, and I'm certain its not due to the emulator (since it works much better on a newer PC))

I'm not sure the PSU power either, so I didn't want a graphics card thats too strong.
    (Its not exactly going to be taxed, but some cards can be power monsters)

Plus my computer is only a Pentium IV 3.2ghz, 1gb DDR2 RAM, so its quite old.
    (Runs on XP though, so the computer is very efficient, though a bit slow with flash, (improved hyperspin performance a bit today by setting quality to low, CPU priority to high, and putting in artifical scanlines (also makes jaggies in flash a little less noticable) and dreamcast emulation)

I just need a card that can handle Dreamcast alright. (I'm not going any higher. Would need to build a new rig entirely! XD)

• @RetroVortex said: Its for my arcade machine.

pics please?

• @Chyron8472 said: pics please?

Hmmm... you haven't seen my arcade machine yet?
    (I've had it for ages. I don't play it too much since it makes my back/feet ache after a while, but my little brother loves it to bits)

Anyway here's a picture of it:

ZTzlM.jpg

(you can see that the right stick was the original one that came with it. The left one was the replacement ones I bought for cheap of ebay, and are MUCH better, (though not quite good enough for my tastes))

(Can't believe its been over a whole year since I got it! Man! I need to give it some more love! XD)

It needs some work as you can see, the person who built it didn't do a bad job, but there is loads of work that can be done on there to improve it.
    (Plus its has its original marquee. In excellent condition. Since the picture was taken, we added a button on the top of the cabinet that lets you turn the light on/off)

EDIT: Oh and the coinslots do work, though the 10p and 50p slots give the same amount of credit, (haven't figured out how to change that in MAME).

But credit is added via the side buttons on each side.
    (Left side = Player 1 coin, Right side = Player 2 coin)

EDIT 2: Definately don't regret paying around £200 for it, (payed about £50 on top in fuel since it was pretty far away, worth the journey. Oh yeah! :D). Its served me very well.
    After upgrading it to its current config (used to have slighly weaker PC running it, and it ran on MameWah, which is good, but Hyperspin just outclasses it in every way. Plus it had some loose wiring in the sound. Dad fixed it quite easily. Just made sure the cable had no blockages and was properly plugged in).

• Ordered a medium pizza online. Going to pick it up in about 15 minutes.

8xINC.pngEDIT:
    Cjgxf.jpg

• Power DVD 12 Ultra + Mediaespresso 6.5

£40

A upgrade package for the free Power DVD 10 I had.

Don't really need to upgrade per se, but it would be nice to have a copy with a CD key incase I need to install it on another computer in the future.
    (So I'm kind of future proofing myself a little)

EDIT: To be fair to it, it does have some pretty interesting features.
    Like being able to use your iphone as a remote control, and Power DVD Mobile for Android devices.
    (Will likely pick an android device up at some point in the future)

So I could see those features being used at some point.

Add Comment