User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 9.2K users

Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!

1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm considering backing ex-LucasArts Garry M Gaber's space combat simulator, Starlight Inception.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/732317316/starlight-inceptiontm

Only after $150,000, but looking unlikely to get there with only 9 days to go.

• Ongoing
    Leisure Suit Larry - $15
    Jane Jensen's Moebius - $51

If I had half a brain, it would have dawned on me to support the Double Fine Adventure while it was still ongoing.

It also occurs to me that Larry is ~11% past its goal (with 2.5 days left) and Jane Jensen's game is still $57k short (albeit with 19 days left)... all the while, Double Fine Adventure's goal was only $400k and yet has been funded with over $3.3 million!

Now, that's a disparity if I ever saw one.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

I'll repost what I said at Kotaku.
    [Quote]"You will see bigger publishers start to get nervous." —Investor and entrepreneur Steve Dengler, talking about how the Kickstarter publishing model could change the game industry.
    No you won't. It's a great way for some to develop their games, but people will get burned out on the idea - hell, many are already. There's so many projects going now they're all fighting for your attention and it's hard to get invested in them all. Not every Kickstarter project has a big name behind it. Double Fine, Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2 may have done great, but others aren't. Jane Jenson's project may just scrape by the target, and Al Lowe probably won't break the $650,000 barrier. Lord knows if people will still care by the time the Tex Murphey one appears. Also, you need to remember that a lot of people only contribute if they get the game for free. It'll be interesting to see how many copies of the games are actually sold compared to how many are just given to the backers. I don't think people are going to be making all that much money with the finished games, to be honest.[/Quote]

• Oh yeah, Kickstarter wont really do much to big developers, most people would rather work for the big boys than do things on their own regardless of whether they get their "vision" or not. It will work for the people starting up though. The people who really don't mind giving the game away for free because they're used to just getting paid for their time anyway. It can pay the bills though and you can make a game. I'm talking the people who are asking for under 200K. People will probably be quite willing to toss out $10-20 a month or so to kickstarter and maybe 1 or 2 big investments a year. Having over 3 projects at once asking for over 200K will kill it though. Hopefully, the developers will take notice and try to space it out a bit. Anyway, you aren't going to start getting A list titles there any time soon.

• A game project that looked like it wasn't even going to come close, has made it slightly interesting by announcing voice talent from David Hayter(Snake) and Jen Hale(whole bunch of shit). I know people here are pretty burnt out from Kickstarter, but that's pretty cool news.

République.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Johro said: République.

Am I the only one who can't find out exactly what sort of game this is? Is it an adventure game?

• It looks like you control the environment, cameras, electronics to pass points and move on... kind of adventure-sk. It's reminding me of that old CD game where you had to stop robbers in a house from what I've seen. I haven't watched all the videos.

I don't think it really matters anyway, it's not even close.

• @Darth Marsden said: ...so, anyone else feel like sharing the projects they've backed? That's half the reason I shared mine. :)

My Backed Projects:
    Double Fine Adventure
    Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded
    Pinkerton Road Studio
    SpaceVenture

Also, has this one been discussed yet? Rob Swigart's Portal (1986) Reborn. It's an adventure game reboot of a 1986 interactive computer novel. I seriously doubt that this one is going to make it, though. $900,000 is the goal, and after 10 days, it only has $12,391.

• @Darth Marsden said: Am I the only one who can't find out exactly what sort of game this is? Is it an adventure game?

TBH, it looks pretty unappealing to me. It was initially an ios only game. They also already have a publisher putting in $500k, which seems sort of against the spirit of Kickstarter, seeing as they would be very much beholden to people other than the backers. Feels like a bit of a cash grab.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Mike Haley said: Also, has this one been discussed yet? Rob Swigart's Portal (1986) Reborn. It's an adventure game reboot of a 1986 interactive computer novel. I seriously doubt that this one is going to make it, though. $900,000 is the goal, and after 10 days, it only has $12,391.

No, I've not seen that one mentioned. Shame it probably won't meet the target, it seems really interesting.

Add Comment