User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 9.3K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think it's a little unfair to judge how effectively player choice has been implemented when we've only played 20% of the game. We're never going to really know how well it was done until we've gotten to the very end. Remember (since we seem to keep comparing TWD to Mass Effect) most people thought the Mass Effect games were doing a great job with player choice until the last ten minutes of the last game. Now it's become an example of how to do it wrong (or, more realistically, how it can't possibly be done to the degree that people were expecting with those games). Player choice lives and dies in the endgame.

Personally, I've been very impressed with the way Telltale seems to be implementing it so far. It's much more subtle and much trickier than I would have expected. It seems to me that a choice like the one at the end, between Doug and Carly, would be relatively easy to work out. It's like a video game choose-your-own-adventure book. You choose Doug and you move on to A Version of the game, you choose Carly and you move on to B Version of the game. That's fairly simple. But having a choice like the one with Duck and Shawn that doesn't effect the immediate outcome, but instead effects how a number of characters react and respond to you further along in the game - that seems much more complicated and much more impressive to me. That's like moving on to B Version of the game, with variables of C, D and 50% of E.

• Question for you guys...

Did any of you completely betrayed Kenny?

i wondered if you did, he wouldn't have came out with the axe and save Lee.

Instead he would have took that icepick from the female walkers shoulder and kill her, then make a run for it.

It probably never even happened that way, just wondering though?

• User Avatar Image
    XPO

This is my first TellTale Game and my first post.

Just wanted to mention that though the choices appear limited up front, if you watch the preview for the next chapter (that plays after finishing chapter 1), some of the choices you make do come back to haunt you.

I played it once where I sided with Larry and agreed to kill Duck. -- In the preview Kenny said something to the effect of "remember when you thought Duck was bitten and you were going to kill him...." (definitely not the quote but basically reminded Lee of what happened)

the original time I played he didn't say it.

So the branching is limited at the trunk of the tree, and looks like it can expand quite a bit down the line. At least that's what it looks like =)

• Shawn was walker bait from the get go. He had to die for the canon to remain canon. He was already dead by the time of the original story. However appropriate it might seem to be able to save him somehow that is one instance where, as a prequel, there was only one way it could go down. I'm cool with that.

However, I do hope Telltale focuses on real choices with consequences and sincere differences rather than the illusion of choice. Glen's being annoyed no matter what you do might be a problem, but then again I've met a guy like that. In a tough situation like that one there is no right answer and some people, perhaps not unlike Glen, wouldn't be happy with ANY choice you made. Naive to be p hoping there was some happy ending for the lady, but there wasn't, and Glen couldn't see that until later (as witnessed when he suggests he understand why you chose to let her off herself if you took that option). At least that's how I see it and it fits within the way they have portrayed Glen, to me.

• @ViCiOuS-V said: Question for you guys...

Did any of you completely betrayed Kenny?

i wondered if you did, he wouldn't have came out with the axe and save Lee.

Instead he would have took that icepick from the female walkers shoulder and kill her, then make a run for it.

It probably never even happened that way, just wondering though?

Kenny always saves you, he just calls you an asshole if you reject him.

• Okay it's only episode 1, but there's only 5 episodes, so surely the first one should do more than just set the scene. I wanted to see events happen differently or not at all based on choices. The only real choice we had was who to save - why couldn't we have chosen to try to save both? Or none? Or at the beginning, why couldn't we have chosen a different way to kill the first zombie, logically everyone would go for the shotgun, but couldn't we have chosen to save the bullet and used the shotgun as a melee weapon? Then the horde wouldn't appear.

I agree with you on this point. The choices need to be more adamant and versatile. A first person shooter would have gone through that zombie with a right click melee attack or a left click head shot. Although I'm guessing it's to early in the game to tell how detrimental the choices are that we make and what to expect in future episodes.

• @cyclopst said: I agree with you on this point. The choices need to be more adamant and versatile. A first person shooter would have gone through that zombie with a right click melee attack or a left click head shot. Although I'm guessing it's to early in the game to tell how detrimental the choices are that we make and what to expect in future episodes.

Well, since in the Which decisions are important? thread, I found this from Jake at TTG.....
    @cyclopst said: While those five big choices get called out for you, the game remembers literally everything you say to everyone, and writers of future episodes can call back to any dialog choice or series of events you've made when crafting how their episode plays out.
    I don't see how the choices could get any more adamant or versatile.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@WabbitTwaks said:
    I don't see how the choices could get any more adamant or versatile.

This does also mean that every choice might matter - not necessarily only the ones that trigger a story notification. Hmmmm.... ;)

• @Vainamoinen said: This does also mean that every choice might matter - not necessarily only the ones that trigger a story notification. Hmmmm.... ;)

Yeah. Scary, isn't it? ;)

• Itll be interesting to see if the character we chose to save in Ep1 constantly gets into peril, and whether we will have the opportunity to drag them all the way through it or trade them out for someone 'better' in later episodes.

Add Comment