User Avatar Image

Do not underestimate the value of a good shot! (spoilers)

posted by zenstrata on - last edited - Viewed by 512 users

There are some spoilers in this post, I should warn of that first.

I see a lot of people making a big mistake and choosing Doug over Carly. I believe most people do not understand how much practice and time goes into becoming highly proficient with a firearm. You can't just learn overnight, or even over a few weeks, how to fire that quickly and with the amazing degree of accuracy while under stress like Carly can.

From personal experience - It takes many thousands of rounds and hundreds of hours of practice to become that good with a firearm. Now realize what situation you are in. Do you really expect to come upon caches of perhaps a few hundred thousand rounds of ammunition to practice with? And when are you going to spend the hundreds of hours of range time it would take to get proficient enough to get snap headshots reliably while under stressful situations like Carly can?

Also consider how often are you going to run into places with working electricity and the type of equipment which Doug is skilled in. Do you expect to see that sort of thing often? How much will it save your life? Now consider how often an expert pistol shooter will be useful and how many times that will save your life.

During the course of the first episode Carly saved the main characters life and several other party members Twice! And Carly was useful 4 times if you count the pillow and the scene near the end where she's holding off the horde. So she can't put a battery in straight, does that really matter in the world you are now in? Now lets tally up Doug's usefulness - Once, maybe as a distraction. Oh, and to be fair, he was able to lean up against a barricade for a few seconds. And now that the power is out wide-scale, his usefulness will go down tremendously.

As for his skill with electricity in general, I would trust Lily for that. A good mechanic has a much better grasp of general repair work and electrical systems than any computer nerd I have ever met.

So in order of usefulness Carly/Lily are right at the top going purely by known skill sets.

43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@zenstrata said: From personal experience - It takes many thousands of rounds and hundreds of hours of practice to become that good with a firearm.

Of all the games that Comrade Pants didn't buy and all the threads that he didn't post in...

@zenstrata said: Sorry. That woman doesn't even know how to use batteries and a radio. She needs to go.

...and isn't it a cruel strike of fate that you can't decide? :D

• @Vainamoinen said: ...and isn't it a cruel strike of fate that you can't decide? :D

no. I don't care too much.

• Carley wouldnt of been able to save those lifes if it werent for Doug. He saved her life without a gun while she saves lifes with a gun so if she loses that is she really that effective? Also she is prone to panicking and not thinking clearly as shown by not even being able to fix a radio while Doug remains calm throughout and doesnt make stupid mistakes. And when it comes to Dougs skills he may not be able to shoot a gun for all we know but he is able to save lifes without one and the tech skills can also be handy along with all the emotional support he is able to provide. So any points about repaying Carly for saving lifes you have to remember she wouldnt of been able to if it werent for Doug.

• @zenstrata said: There are some spoilers in this post, I should warn of that first.

I see a lot of people making a big mistake and choosing Doug over Carly. I believe most people do not understand how much practice and time goes into becoming highly proficient with a firearm. You can't just learn overnight, or even over a few weeks, how to fire that quickly and with the amazing degree of accuracy while under stress like Carly can.

From personal experience - It takes many thousands of rounds and hundreds of hours of practice to become that good with a firearm. Now realize what situation you are in. Do you really expect to come upon caches of perhaps a few hundred thousand rounds of ammunition to practice with? And when are you going to spend the hundreds of hours of range time it would take to get proficient enough to get snap headshots reliably while under stressful situations like Carly can?

Also consider how often are you going to run into places with working electricity and the type of equipment which Doug is skilled in. Do you expect to see that sort of thing often? How much will it save your life? Now consider how often an expert pistol shooter will be useful and how many times that will save your life.

During the course of the first episode Carly saved the main characters life and several other party members Twice! And Carly was useful 4 times if you count the pillow and the scene near the end where she's holding off the horde. So she can't put a battery in straight, does that really matter in the world you are now in? Now lets tally up Doug's usefulness - Once, maybe as a distraction. Oh, and to be fair, he was able to lean up against a barricade for a few seconds. And now that the power is out wide-scale, his usefulness will go down tremendously.

As for his skill with electricity in general, I would trust Lily for that. A good mechanic has a much better grasp of general repair work and electrical systems than any computer nerd I have ever met.

So in order of usefulness Carly/Lily are right at the top going purely by known skill sets.

Ok. I had a long post about each individual point and why you are wrong, but it didn't save so I'll just brush it over really fast.

[LIST]
    [*]Carley never was a "Crack Shot" she shot a zombie at 5 feet away and nearly killed everyone FOR shooting said zombie.
    [*]Guns are NOT the answer in Walking Dead. I good melee weapon is though. Lee can do that
    [*]Carley never saved Lee's life. She saved Ducks and the bathroom zombie was nearly taken care of by Lee.
    [*]Doug proved his usefulness as a distraction AND a good lookout. Carley proved her uselessness by completely wasting ammo. Putting said ammo in her purse and leaving the purse
    [/LIST]

To sum things up. Carley is not a crack shot, and Telltale need to stop deleting my long posts:p

• @Gman5852 said: Ok. I had a long post about each individual point and why you are wrong, but it didn't save so I'll just brush it over really fast.

[LIST]
    [*]Carley never was a "Crack Shot" she shot a zombie at 5 feet away and nearly killed everyone FOR shooting said zombie.
    [*]Guns are NOT the answer in Walking Dead. I good melee weapon is though. Lee can do that
    [*]Carley never saved Lee's life. She saved Ducks and the bathroom zombie was nearly taken care of by Lee.
    [*]Doug proved his usefulness as a distraction AND a good lookout. Carley proved her uselessness by completely wasting ammo. Putting said ammo in her purse and leaving the purse
    [/LIST]

To sum things up. Carley is not a crack shot, and Telltale need to stop deleting my long posts:p

1. 5 feet or not, a gun in an emergency when it comes to saving survivors is not a bad thing..the noise it brought wouldn't have mattered anyway, because it was Kenny's yelling that already brought attention to them. That, and a gun saves time with a well-placed headshot than just rushing up and tackling the zombie(s) and risking getting bitten.

2. Carly very well saved Lee's life on MY game. I didn't mash the X button fast enough to completely connect the 2 arrows, so she shot the toilet-dwelling zombie for me. And Duck's life or not, she still saved a life.

3. I'm sure she'd rather keep her ammo in her purse, where it can't be stolen from her, much more by the careless Duck who might be a little TOO curious with it. Also, if she knew zombies would full-on assault the doors and entrances like they did, she would've kept her purse more within reach. I know I would've.

• Haha, what is actually hilarious is that those that have saved Doug are in the extreme minority. I myself saved him, but as the game goes on, and more people are exposed the number will continue to dwindle in the player set that chose to save Doug. Carley is actually pushed to the forefront of most players mind, also it is mostly human male wiring to save a female, and those players cannot be blamed, the few who did choose Doug did so out rational thought more than emotions.

• @NeonBlade said: Haha, what is actually hilarious is that those that have saved Doug are in the extreme minority. I myself saved him, but as the game goes on, and more people are exposed the number will continue to dwindle in the player set that chose to save Doug. Carley is actually pushed to the forefront of most players mind, also it is mostly human male wiring to save a female, and those players cannot be blamed, the few who did choose Doug did so out rational thought more than emotions.

not sure that saving an obese man who can programme a tv remote in a situation were tvs are obsolete and technology is very rare is "rational", especially as my "rational" thought made me choose the thick woman so i could let her die when the gun is in my posession... ;)

• I chose Carly because she's a woman. Women and children first! I bet Doug would've wanted the same :)

• Carly nows the story of lee, so she needs to go...

• @Lachi said: Carly nows the story of lee, so she needs to go...

Because someone who isn't going to tell the rest of the group despite knowing is such a danger to you especially when another member of the group knows and will most likely tell them without a second thought if he thinks it will benefit him somehow. I think it's more useful to have someone who already knows and isn't so bothered by it to the point that she's willing to keep that secret than someone who doesn't know and we have no idea how he'll react to that information.

Add Comment