User Avatar Image

Thinkin about gettin a refurbished ps3

posted by doom saber on - last edited - Viewed by 835 users

I checked online and seen that there are 60 GB PS3 for 467 with a game. However, they are refurbished. I am wondering, does buying a used or non new ps3 affect things like online play or whatever? I mean, would I be able to go online if a used ps3 the same way as a new one or is it like one of those online MMORPG games like World of Warcraft where buying a used copy is useless unless one has the user name and password of the previous owner?

Sorry if my question is strange, but I realize that places like Gamestop not selling used PS3, which makes me wonder if the system cannot be resold "legally" despite me seeing a refurbished one sold on a popular and legal site. So any info would help.

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • ...and the best is: it's available in europe, too...now. weee...

• Ugh, when I hear Sony and refurbished in the same sentence I get sick to my stomach. You see I had bought a launch PS2 and about 2 weeks after the warrenty expired(no joke) I started getting Disc Read Errors. I was kinda shocked, seeing as my SNES and original PS1 were both working flawlessly.

Sp. I contacted Sony and they were cool with fixing it for free (I just had to fork out the shipping to them). I thought that was great, Wooh Sony! Got my PS2 back after a few weeks "refurbished" and it worked fine, for a couple of months. Then I started getting the dreaded DREs again. So I sent it back in, fixed for free(still under warrenty this time), got another "refurbished" one. Guess what happened a few months later, DREs.

I was extrememly mad, shot Sony a rage filled mail, (they fixed it for free again, but also sent me UPS label in my e-mail to cover the cost of shipping. Yea rage!)so I felt kind of bad later(that wouldn't last too long). Got my "refurbished yet again" PS2 and yeah a few months later DREs. Needless to say I took it to a field to vent "Office Space" style. Anyway unable to break the claim Sony has on my soul I bought a Slim PS2, but I never had one DRE ever again.

Not to say "refurbished" PS3s are bad, just a buyer beware warning.

• Wait, are used PS3's REALLY that much still?

I have a 360, a Wii, and a mid-range gaming PC, all of which I'm pretty happy with. So, my main interest in the PS3 is due to the ability to play Blu-Ray movies, and the ability to install a different OS on the machine. I was thinking about getting one and installing a new OS on a bootable partition to make the system work as a media server. Right now I connect my laptop's video out into the TV, and I use 360's network streaming(expanded a bit through TVersity), but a more permanent solution would be nice. Have they been phasing the new OS feature out of any of the PS3 models?

• @Rather Dashing said: Wait, are used PS3's REALLY that much still?

Old thread is old.

• @Pale Man said: Old thread is old.

...>_<

GODDAMMIT NECROPOSTING SPAMBOTS PEDDLING ILLEGAL PIRACY METHODS.

Thanks, I'm sorry I didn't even NOTICE the date on that. Wow. I feel like an idiot. :o

• i love mis information...

i wish i found this thread sooner..

sigh..

only one model of ps3 in USA played ps2... the rest.. just wont..

period..

even with patches or whatnot..
    lame but.. true....(but the + side is ps2's are like 10$) .. jk but still

best ps3 is the first model in terms of compatibility and mods etc.. but its slower and hotter than the newer smaller chipsets that run cooler and quieter and dare I say a bit quicker due to that.

• @Kaldire said: only one model of ps3 in USA played ps2... the rest.. just wont..

Three models did, by my count. The 60gig and the 20gig had the Emotion Engine hardware, and then there was the initial run of the 80gig which had the PS2 graphics chip and used software to emulate the rest (Albeit with slightly lower compatibility). Really, at this point, I don't find myself playing PS2 games anymore, so backwards compatibility for me, and probably a good chunk of users, is moot.

Edit: Oh yeah, and for the record, all PS3s play PSone games.

• @xbskid said: Three models did, by my count. The 60gig and the 20gig had the Emotion Engine hardware, and then there was the initial run of the 80gig which had the PS2 graphics chip and used software to emulate the rest (Albeit with slightly lower compatibility). Really, at this point, I don't find myself playing PS2 games anymore, so backwards compatibility for me, and probably a good chunk of users, is moot.

Edit: Oh yeah, and for the record, all PS3s play PSone games.

Not to mention the rumors of Sony releasing PS2 software emulation in an upcoming firmware update for the SKUs that don't have PS2 support already.

• I apologize for resurrecting such an old thread, but it has been 5 years since I purchased my PS3, and it is still going strong! I realized that buying refurbished isn't bad at all since the product gets fixed and comes with a guarantee. Since then I had purchased a few refurbished items. I had also have heard of friend's doing the same thing. There was one item (an external HDD) that came out faulty, which was fixed by the manufacture. It turns out that the included USB wire was faulty, not the refurbished HDD. However, I had already asked for a replacement from the company so I returned it. In return, I received a better model. From the friend I who also bought refurbished goods, they would get a better and new model if the refurbished turns out to be bad.

• Well it's good to hear you're enjoying your PS3. Nice to know the story had a happy ending, I guess.

Add Comment