User Avatar Image

King's Quest VII Love Thread

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 621 users

This is a thread for fans of KQ7, imo one of the more underrated games in the series.

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I really like it... It may not be the best kings quest games but it's deffinitly a great adventure game.

• I don't hate it... It's just not my 'favorite' game in the series. It is my least favorite... There are plenty of other games in the series that I prefer more than it.

I don't hate any of the KQ games, and actually love them all.

• I hate it! Evil!! Aaaarrrgggg!!!!

• Personally it's up there for me as one of the better games.

• Eh, I just don't care for it, or about it. I don't hate it. I don't like it either.

Bt

• You really have to wonder what look ttg will go with for their game.. Cartoon or more realistic either one would technically be faithful to the franchise.

• Count me in as a fan of KQ VII -- I liked the cel animation style, and the dialogue was so much better than in the earlier games. It had a sense of humor, and best of all Queen Valanice was allowed to show a little human emotion and attitude -- refreshing after Graham's unfailing politeness in KQ V and Alexander's oblivious woodenness in KQ VI. The style of KQ VII feels influenced by Lucasarts -- fatalities aren't game-ending, and the interface feels similar -- which may be what some people didn't like about it.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: This is a thread for...

LOL. Nice try, but have you not been paying attention to how things typically go around here? Three pages from now we could be talking about Roberta's puzzle design theories or Police Quest 2 or the literary/philosophical/Biblical origins of the fisherman in Tamir. :p

@Anakin Skywalker said: ...fans of KQ7, imo one of the more underrated games in the series.

IMO, there isn't one game in the King's Quest series that can legitimately be called underrated or overrated. Just because you encounter a few people at this or any other forum who happen to dislike one of the games doesn't mean it's underrated. :rolleyes:

• IMO, there isn't one game in the King's Quest series that can legitimately be called underrated or overrated. Just because you encounter a few people at this or any other forum who happen to dislike one of the games doesn't mean it's underrated.

Actually, KQ7 was largely panned by the critics and most magazines that rate games... It is said to have received the lowest scores of any game in the series. It received mixed, mostly low to average scores.

So I suppose its "underated" or just "poor scores"/"weak game" (what have you) depending on one's opinion...

Actually Roberta didn't care what the critics thought of the game, she mentioned in an interview that she was happy (and it was more important to her) it had sold successfully.

In comparison, KQ5 had the distinction of being the the best selling Adventure games for something 3-4 years after its release running. That was even after KQ6 was released. It was critically acclaimed receiving mostly 4 out of 5/90% ratings from critics...

...and KQ6 is noted for pretty much getting perfect 100% scores all around from all critics (lots of 5 out of 5s). So its probably the 'highest rated' KQ game. Anakin would argue its 'overrated', :p...

Even KQ8 received mostly good review scores... though it was panned by a few critics... But it fared better critically than KQ7...

• @BagginsKQ said: Actually, KQ7 was largely panned by the critics and most magazines that rate games...

So I suppose its "underated" or just "poor scores"/"weak game" (what have you) depending on one's opinion...

There need to be valid reasons or historical reassessment or mass popular acclamation to make a game with poor or mediocre reviews underrated. Not just some people who disagree with the critics. The worst game in the world has its fans and the best games have their detractors; doesn't make them under/overrated.

Add Comment