User Avatar Image

Replay Games Kickstarter / KQ/SQ/LSL Rights

posted by jonathanfrisby on - last edited - Viewed by 952 users

Bit off topic, but someone from Replay Games mentioned trying to get the rights to King's Quest in their Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter comments. Also SPACE QUEST!

----
Replay Games about 1 hour ago
@Perdition - we're way ahead of you!! Scott is ready to jump on board, we already spoke to him. Mark, however, can't since he works for Foundation 9, a developer / publisher and he would have a "conflict of interest" as he put it. Having said that, however, the last game, Space Quest 6, was all Scott & Josh (no Mark Crowe involvement) so we think we can hold pretty true to the SQ franchise with those two geniuses on board. We're in the middle of negotiating the rights for King's Quest as well as Space Quest & Police Quest too. :) It all depends on the success of this first game, though.....everybody wants to see how much demand is out there.
----

Doesn't mean much.. Unless Telltale is passing on the franchise? They ought to jump on that before Replay gets the muppets back together!

104 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm not making anything up and I have nothing against the DFA (being a backer of that myself). I just get annoyed by unfounded comments and it's seems that in the gaming forums that I go on (admittedly not a huge amount) that have threads about Jane's Kickstarter it's always the same argument and I just thought adventure game players are a bit more savvy and knowledgeable about things like this. I mean it really wasn't that hard to figure out what you were getting.

I do like how defensive the ardent DFA supports get when anyone dares to question a single thing that Schafer or Gilbert does (and I love how Gilbert always gets trotted out when he's at Double Fine to work on his own game and is, from what I've read and seen, mainly a consultant on the DFA).

And the decade long thing, I wasn't referring to the fact that you were imprecise, just that for the first 9 years of Double Fine only two games were made (I do concede that a lot of it wasn't their fault, the publishers didn't help) and it was when they started to make smaller games that got released quickly that they started to look more like a successful(ish) company.

• @corruptbiggins said: I'm not making anything up and I have nothing against the DFA (being a backer of that myself). I just get annoyed by unfounded comments

I don't think the concerns raised by Blackthorne et al. to which you responded are unfounded, and noting that an entirely different and separate project might have concerns of its own does absolutely nothing to demonstrate that those comments are unfounded.

@corruptbiggins said: I do like how defensive the ardent DFA supports get when anyone dares to question a single thing that Schafer or Gilbert does

Takes one to know one, eh? :rolleyes: You're the one who continues bringing up petty concerns about an entirely different and separate project in lieu of addressing the specific issue with Jensen's campaign identified by multiple posters in this thread. Of course that's going to invite a counter-defense and it comes nowhere near what your quoted comment describes.

• I just don't really understand how anyone can say Jane's Kickstarter was too ambiguous in comparison to the DFA one. She had three potential game ideas up, with concept art even, whereas DFA just had "we want to make an old-school adventure game" and that's all.

• @KatieHal said: I just don't really understand how anyone can say Jane's Kickstarter was too ambiguous in comparison to the DFA one. She had three potential game ideas up, with concept art even, whereas DFA just had "we want to make an old-school adventure game" and that's all.

That's not really accurate, though. Double Fine's kickstarter campaign was very explicit about what the money was going towards, a traditional, Lucasarts-style point and click graphic adventure from the creators of Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle (among many others) in the same vein as those games. That was explicitly stated as the final end product. They also stated up front that a significant portion of the money would be funding a documentary film of the game-making progress, to be released alongside the game. I also think the significance of the fact that Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert have been an active part of the contemporary gaming industry, with numerous highly regarded current successes under their belts, cannot be understated.

At the very least, one must concede that Jane's initial kickstarter campaign statements had some real wording issues, with at least enough ambiguity to make it unclear whether or not the campaign was a direct violation of Kickstarter terms of service (i.e. funding the foundation of a company as opposed to an individual project.) With Double Fine's project, the company was already well-established, so such confusion was impossible.

• @KatieHal said: I just don't really understand how anyone can say Jane's Kickstarter was too ambiguous in comparison to the DFA one. She had three potential game ideas up, with concept art even, whereas DFA just had "we want to make an old-school adventure game" and that's all.

And I don't really understand how the relative ambiguity of the two projects has even the slightest importance -- the campaigns were never running concurrently so it's not like anybody was faced with making a choice between the two.

All Kickstarter proposed games involve far more unknown aspects than known. For instance, none of the proposals give any idea as to what the gameplay will be like, and to me that's the most important thing. So all you can really get from a comparison is ultimately trivial, eg. Jensen's project is 3 percent less ambiguous than DFA! Is that really the best you can say about her campaign? Please, for the love of Jane, consider how silly raising comparisons with DFA seem to those not already predisposed toward supporting Jensen. You're wasting opportunities to point out all the good things about the games she's identified and Pinkerton's potential in general.

• I didn't start the talk (or complaining) about ambiguity. For me, personally, I think Jane's game(s) are going to be awesome and I can't wait to play them. Anyone who isn't sure, I highly recommend checking out her previous games, or even just go watch a Let's Play of them.

Related news, the Two Guys from Andromeda have joined the Kickstarter fray!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spaceventure/two-guys-spaceventure-by-the-creators-of-space-que

Add Comment