User Avatar Image

King's Quest VII Love Thread

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 318 users

This is a thread for fans of KQ7, imo one of the more underrated games in the series.

25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @thom-22 said: There need to be valid reasons or historical reassessment or mass popular acclamation to make a game with poor or mediocre reviews underrated. Not just some people who disagree with the critics. The worst game in the world has its fans and the best games have their detractors; doesn't make them under/overrated.

Personal taste is valid. All a review is is the reviewers' personal taste/opinion. Art is subjective, one person's masterpiece is another's pile of dung. Perception is everything. In the KQ/Sierra community, I feel, based upon what I've seen, KQ7 is underrated as a game and as an entry in the series.

Even the best games/movies/music has it's detractors as you said.

• @gamingafter40 said: Count me in as a fan of KQ VII -- I liked the cel animation style, and the dialogue was so much better than in the earlier games. It had a sense of humor, and best of all Queen Valanice was allowed to show a little human emotion and attitude -- refreshing after Graham's unfailing politeness in KQ V and Alexander's oblivious woodenness in KQ VI. The style of KQ VII feels influenced by Lucasarts -- fatalities aren't game-ending, and the interface feels similar -- which may be what some people didn't like about it.

+1 I agree completely with this.

• The backgrounds were nice. The animation .... just did not do it for me. I did not care for the story either. The interface was.... boring.

Bt

• I would go so far as to say that King's Quest VII may very well be the worst adventure game ever made.

Sorry--pre-Telltale, I mean.

• @Lambonius said: I would go so far as to say that King's Quest VII may very well be the worst adventure game ever made.

Sorry--pre-Telltale, I mean.

Oh come on. None of the tons of 90s Myst clones or the countless generic adventure games post 1999 are the worst? KQ7 isn't THAT bad. It still had the KQ feel, still was light and fairy tale based, the interface was simplified but you were still in a huge, expansive world full of interesting characters. It was still a 100% adventure game. And it had tons of funny moments and was IMO similar in tone to KQ5 (despite the art style). I was never bothered by the art or this or that because we're dealing with 20 year old games here. Compared to Castle Wolfenstein, KQ6 looks like primitive, for example. I wouldn't expect Disney level animation from Sierra in 1994, especially when it was their first game to try out that art/animation style.

• 90s Myst clones?

Journeyman Project series was better than KQ7... More compelling storylines, interesting characters, atmospheric, etc...

I liked Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor more than KQ7...

Being a 'myst clone' was not necessarily a bad thing. I never could get into Myst, but some of the clones were actually quite compelling...

BTW, I like KQ7 more than Myst... But like it less than the few Myst Clones mentioned above I played...

I do probably like KQ7 a bit better than Sierra's attempts as 'Myst cloning'...

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Personal taste is valid. All a review is is the reviewers' personal taste/opinion. Art is subjective, one person's masterpiece is another's pile of dung. Perception is everything.

Of course. But none of that is useful in telling the difference between something that merely attracts opposing minority opinion and something that is underrated.

@Anakin Skywalker said: In the KQ/Sierra community, I feel, based upon what I've seen, KQ7 is underrated as a game and as an entry in the series.

Well then, I think KQ7 is overrated in this thread. :p

(But definitely much better than the worst Myst-clone I ever played.)

• Yeah, I was clearly just trolling, too. :)

KQ7 still sucks balls though.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: Personal taste is valid. All a review is is the reviewers' personal taste/opinion. Art is subjective, one person's masterpiece is another's pile of dung. Perception is everything. In the KQ/Sierra community, I feel, based upon what I've seen, KQ7 is underrated as a game and as an entry in the series.

Even the best games/movies/music has it's detractors as you said.

In spite of what numerous school teachers have told you, it is entirely possible for personal opinion to be incorrect.

That said, KQ VII isn't *that* bad, just not really up to the standards of the previous games.

• In spite of what numerous school teachers have told you, it is entirely possible for personal opinion to be incorrect.

The idea that all 'personal opinion is equally right' reminds me of 1984!

2 + 2 = 5!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kmG7KXxShM

How many lights are there?

Madred%2C_four_lights.jpg

Add Comment