User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 10.2K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@WabbitTwaks said: Yeah. Scary, isn't it? ;)

Pretty much. Immersion into the game is definitely enhanced if you turn story notifications off, because you can never be sure what itty bitty thingie counts somehow. But I assume not many people did turn them off, because they WANT that control, that look into the mechanics, that behind-the-curtain look at their real options, the whole game with its pants down.

Suddenly finding out that they weren't granted that... could scare the hell out of some players. ;)

• My first play, I turned notifications off. I wanted that as-complete-as-possible immersion. I was extremely satisfied with the result. It was only for some of my subsequent plays that I turned the notifications on to get a glimpse into what my choice ramifications might be.

My first thoughts after discovering all choices are saved was, "Uh oh. What did I do in my first play through? I could be screwed." I had put myself in Lee's shoes completely, as I am sure was TTG's intention. I made real life, spur-of-the-moment choices. Some good; some not so good. How things play out will be... interesting.

I love what they have done here. To create such an immersing, interactive story is quite an accomplishment. I cannot wait for the next installment.

• So the game starts out claiming that the story is tailored by (that is a quote) my choices. I thoroughly enjoyed my first playthrough. Then I started a second because I was curious to see how things could have played out differently.

The first thing I found out is that your responses literally do not change conversations at all. In the cop car in the beginning I chose wildly different options and what happend was, without exception:

*short reaction line*
    blabla bla what I was going to say anyway

This trend was continued by all later conversations without fail.

Alright then, I thought, there are choices to be made, definitive ones, so let's see how those play out. I had gone during the day the first time and went to Hershel's farm. The second time I went at night and lo and behold, I went to Hershel's farm. The only difference was that Hershel agreed to have the fence reinforced instantly, which, no matter what I'd have said, he would have anyway in the first scenario, I'm certain.

Right. So but here comes the first -real- choice right? First time I saved Shawn obviously, or tried to, cause he died, and no matter what I said I got kicked off the farm. Second time I saved Ducky and no matter what I said I got kicked off the farm also. Whopsie.

Not having learnt my lesson at that point, I figured you know what I'll just show the guy at the drug store, the asshole, what's what, I'll beat that guy down. Lo and behold, everything plays out exactly as it would have otherwise. I have to get heart medicine for the complete asshole. Why exactly do I have to do that? I just do. Ok then. Someone obviously tried it. Let me guess. If you agree that Ducky must be thrown out, it doesn't happen right? Color me surprised.

And that is putting aside, for a moment, the insanity of that whole situation. We have a guy about to die right here, and another one who is about to die, maybe, who knows, somewhere else. The first guy needs medicine that is literally 10 feet away. In my first playthrough I wanted to help him, I figured he was just being emotional and making tough choices, no qualms, and I wasted over an hour triple checking everything until I gave up and went to get Quinn, only to learn that this nonsensical action is what you have to do to even get at the medicine. I challenge anyone to hack through a padlock with a fire axe in a way that somehow makes less noise than a tv on static. What a joke.

It's 1 month between episodes, so if your reaction is, calm down guy, your choices will have consequences in later episodes - think for a minute. Is Chet being alive or dead really a consequence? He's barely a NPC. And ask yourself: why would we assume that the second episode has greater complexity than the first?

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed my first playthrough, and I will play the others too (albeit mostly because I have no choice having already paid for them), but what seemed as an involving story where I choose my destiny has turned out to be nothign but a string of BUT THOUGH MUST's.

And that would be fine. IF the game did not claim otherwise, explicitly, right off the bat. A hollow promise.

I don't understand are people are just fine and dandy with this but get insanely irate over the mass effect 3 ending.

EDIT: Moved it to where it would not be seen huh? Very classy guys.

• I think conned may be to harsh a term, after all, Telltale does clearly state this is story driven, but, the lack of choices is a bit of a let down. I loved the story and the characters but it is more like a comic book than a game. Still, it was very entertaining to play and I do look forward to the next release.....

• Having read the above post I decided to play through again, as not much else do do we dont even know when the next one will even be. And spot on so disappointed nothing different at all did not seem to matter what you say or do same places same people same outcome, burst my bubble on any play through value if just end up in the same place anyway

• I dont think it was moved to were it wouldnt be seen, infact its been moved onto a more relative and fairly active thread, though i will be seeing if your thoughts are the same a few episodes down the line :-)

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Franzs said:

Moved to where it would be seen, where the topic was already discussed and where you might even find some answers, a more broad perspective and/or like minded people. No interest in that? Very classy guy.

• We made our choices at first episode, we'll have to wait for the 2nd to see how much tailored is this story by us and consequences from our choices.

We have only watched 1/5 from the whole game. Saying good or bad things for this feature it's pretty premature yet.

All we can say now it's that it looks good. :)

• @Franzs said: So the game starts out claiming that the story is tailored by (that is a quote) my choices. I thoroughly enjoyed my first playthrough. Then I started a second because I was curious to see how things could have played out differently.

The first thing I found out is that your responses literally do not change conversations at all. In the cop car in the beginning I chose wildly different options and what happend was, without exception:

*short reaction line*
    blabla bla what I was going to say anyway

This trend was continued by all later conversations without fail.

Alright then, I thought, there are choices to be made, definitive ones, so let's see how those play out. I had gone during the day the first time and went to Hershel's farm. The second time I went at night and lo and behold, I went to Hershel's farm. The only difference was that Hershel agreed to have the fence reinforced instantly, which, no matter what I'd have said, he would have anyway in the first scenario, I'm certain.

Right. So but here comes the first -real- choice right? First time I saved Shawn obviously, or tried to, cause he died, and no matter what I said I got kicked off the farm. Second time I saved Ducky and no matter what I said I got kicked off the farm also. Whopsie.

Not having learnt my lesson at that point, I figured you know what I'll just show the guy at the drug store, the asshole, what's what, I'll beat that guy down. Lo and behold, everything plays out exactly as it would have otherwise. I have to get heart medicine for the complete asshole. Why exactly do I have to do that? I just do. Ok then. Someone obviously tried it. Let me guess. If you agree that Ducky must be thrown out, it doesn't happen right? Color me surprised.

And that is putting aside, for a moment, the insanity of that whole situation. We have a guy about to die right here, and another one who is about to die, maybe, who knows, somewhere else. The first guy needs medicine that is literally 10 feet away. In my first playthrough I wanted to help him, I figured he was just being emotional and making tough choices, no qualms, and I wasted over an hour triple checking everything until I gave up and went to get Quinn, only to learn that this nonsensical action is what you have to do to even get at the medicine. I challenge anyone to hack through a padlock with a fire axe in a way that somehow makes less noise than a tv on static. What a joke.

It's 1 month between episodes, so if your reaction is, calm down guy, your choices will have consequences in later episodes - think for a minute. Is Chet being alive or dead really a consequence? He's barely a NPC. And ask yourself: why would we assume that the second episode has greater complexity than the first?

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed my first playthrough, and I will play the others too (albeit mostly because I have no choice having already paid for them), but what seemed as an involving story where I choose my destiny has turned out to be nothign but a string of BUT THOUGH MUST's.

And that would be fine. IF the game did not claim otherwise, explicitly, right off the bat. A hollow promise.

I don't understand are people are just fine and dandy with this but get insanely irate over the mass effect 3 ending.

)

I actually agree with all of this, the game is great but so disappointing how the choices ended up within episode one.

• @ADavidson said:
    I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

I guess i got robbed on Steam then? :confused:

Add Comment